YIPPEE< Taco Bell Finally comes to Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: YIPPEE< Taco Bell Finally comes to Thailand

Post by John Bingham »

I've never been to a Taco Bell.

For some reason those tacos don't look very appealing. It looks like something Barbie would eat, are they actually any good? :?

Those fries and that sauce look gross, and you can fucking bet the ones you are served won't look anything like that good. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Rain Dog
Expatriate

Post by Rain Dog »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:01 am I've never been to a Taco Bell.

For some reason those tacos don't look very appealing, are they actually any good?
Singapore used to have one in Funan Center --- the equivalent of Bangkok''s Panthip Plaza.
I love Mexican food and don't mind some fast food at times, but I always found Taco Bell borderline edible at best --- sort of like dog food wrapped in a less than authentic tortilla.
Taxi, we'd rather walk. Huddle a doorway with the rain dogs
The Rum pours strong and thin. Beat out the dustman with the Rain Dogs;
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:03 am For some reason those tacos don't look very appealing. It looks like something Barbie would eat, are they actually any good? :?
Taco Bell is like the instant coffee of Mexican food, in my opinion. Sure, it's cheap, fast and it tastes vaguely like Mexican food, but it's missing so much as to render the experience not that enjoyable.

I ate a lot of Taco Bell though, just like I drank a lot of instant coffee, but given the choice it's not what I would go for.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Rain Dog wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 am
Jaysus, welcome back! :beer3:
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

just holding my breath for the IHOP implosion from Dick
yep]
IHOB
fuck you velly much!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

When I was growing up, Taco Bell was the only place that served Mexican food. I thought it was special, unique. When I got to college, there was a Tex-Mex place, a Cambodian restaurant with a real Khmer place a few minutes away.

I think success might depend on penetration of Taco Bell in the US and the rest of the western world and nostalgia. If all Americans eat at Taco Bell and Taco Bell can taste exactly the same in Cambodia as in the US, they might be successful - like McDonalds.

IHOP (or IHOB in exactly one restaurant) is like eating dessert for breakfast. All their breakfast pancakes are super sugary sweet. Similar to Starbucks’ Frappuccinos. Wouldn’t mind one in the KOW. Might be a hit with Cambodians. Although to forego rice soup for breakfast might be hard. Pancakes for lunch or dinner?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Never said Taco bell was "Authentic Mexican food" nor do i think it is, (was a chef in a Mexican restaurant for over a year in Aspen)
did say
it tastes good, its inexpensive and fills me up

PS; also waiting on a "Denny''s" , used to have them in Singapore
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:01 am I've never been to a Taco Bell.

For some reason those tacos don't look very appealing, are they actually any good?
They're fkn dog-shit tacos with grade z meat, ate that shit back in high school but having lived in Southern California in my younger years and later living in Mexico I'll take the real deal any day - pastor with grilled green onions and homemade tortillas, as a yank I cannot see the appeal of these fast food places - Dennys? :bad: :voilent4: though I admit I'll kick the waffle house once in a great while after a drunk binge :bong:
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Moe
Expatriate

Post by Moe »

Even the "tacos" at taco bell only vaguely resemble anything that you'd find in Mexico. Mexican pizza? If the quality of the ingredients weren't garbage, that would be one thing, but they are garbage. It's not even really that cheap here in the states. A quick look on their website shows that their tacos are $2 a whack. A Taqueria here in Southwest Detroit will set you back as little as $1.25 for a carne asada taco or for al pastor, lengua, carnitas, etc., etc., and the ingredients are fresh and the recipes authentic. Taco Hell is awful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic