Father takes 7yo Daughter to Commit Suicide from Chroy Changvar Bridge

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Father takes 7yo Daughter to Commit Suicide from Chroy Changvar Bridge

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Phnom Penh: On July 4 at 6 am, a 30-year-old man, Teang, who suffered from depression, took his 7 year old daughter to commit suicide with him by jumping from Chroy Changvar bridge.

Some time before the suicide, the man's wife had left him and the family because she had decided to go and live with another man. The father, who was suffering from severe depression, had told his daughter that they were going to do some exercise, before taking her to jump from the Chroy Changvar bridge with him .
After the father and daughter both jumped into the water, the man sank in the river immediately, but fortunately there were some Cham fishermen on their boats under the bridge who saved the little girl from drowning. The fishermen then called the police to tell them what happened and they took the girl into care.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Father takes 7yo Daughter to Commit Suicide from Chroy Changvar Bridge

Post by John Bingham »

Very sad, I hope the young girl can get some better care and recovers from this terrible trauma.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ashcroftie
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by Ashcroftie »

What a complete jerk you must be to take a little girl, and even your own daughter for god's sake, to commit suicide. Probably for the best the man drowned, as he comes across as a complete lowlife with no contribution to the life of others, on the contrary: he has done a lot of harm to the poor little girl.

I'm really not surprised that his wife left him, although she maybe could have tried more to keep the girl out of harm's way. But we don't know the details, only what's reported here, and that's bad enough.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There's a thing called "mental illness" which I believe may have played a part here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:51 am There's a thing called "mental illness" which I believe may have played a part here.

Maybe your computer was short of ink when you printed that, so here's how I think it should have read.

I believe may have played a BIG part here like with everything else in Cambodia
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

The Chroy Changvar Bridge seems to be a popular choice for people wanting to top themselves. It wouldn't hurt to erect suicide barriers, but then again if people really want to top themselves they can still hang themselves with a karma or decapitate themselves with a power saw.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am The Chroy Changvar Bridge seems to be a popular choice for people wanting to top themselves. It wouldn't hurt to erect suicide barriers, but then again if people really want to top themselves they can still hang themselves with a karma or decapitate themselves with a power saw.
I think Cambodia will be banning power saws, Problem solved.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

Duncan wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 am
prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:42 am The Chroy Changvar Bridge seems to be a popular choice for people wanting to top themselves. It wouldn't hurt to erect suicide barriers, but then again if people really want to top themselves they can still hang themselves with a karma or decapitate themselves with a power saw.
Not until the last tree is felled.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

prahocalypse now wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 am
Duncan wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 am
Not until the last tree is felled.
Shouldn't be too long then.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Oh FFS, send the poor kid to Mrs Stroppy if nobody else will care for her. Surely there's some family or a village that cares for her? Possibly heading for CCF, which is not a bad thing for her.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic