Black English teachers in Cambodia,Yes or No

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Re: Black English teachers in Cambodia,Yes or No

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

charlie
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

taabarang wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:03 pm
frank lee bent wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:35 pm here is a clue> OP is a black American.
How did you ferret out that piece of info and do you ellphave additional biographical info? He has definitely raised the level of trolling on this forum.
C'mon Frank throw a few bones our way. Just enough details to reveal his motivation, but still keep his identity cloaked.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

yong wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14 am Image
A short black, no sugar. Thanks.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

charlie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Pretty sure the troll has gone back to TOF now anyway.
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 am
shnoukieBRO wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 am However in terms of actually learning English. .then a person from the British Empire should be the first call, and then related English speaking countries.
Do you mean the former British Empire?

It's probably better to say that a person from an 'inner circle' country should be the first call, provided they are qualified.

So Nigeria would be put same place as Ghana ? Where would u put Guyana, Belize, Bahamas, Barbados, st Lucia, Dominica,Grenada, Antigua and several other
English speaking of west indies. From my experience many years ago when aparthied was still on the whites of south africa did not speak Afrikans but only english same as Australian and UK style and seems they should be same status as Australia. I was thinking they would need the english teacher to also speak the local khmer language if that is who is being taught. Or is there just not enough of those people to go around.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Accents change all the time, just listen to a BBC broadcast from as recent as the 60s its all recieved pronounciation and sounds very odd now. When i was at school in the 50s and 60s we would rarely have a teacher with our accent, ie cockney, they mostly spoke what we called "posh" i suspect working class people did not aspire to become teachers in those days 'its not for the likes of us"

When i am on a bus in london and school kids get on their london accents are so very different to what i hear from people of my age. I reckon in 50 years from now people will hear cockney accents on old broadcasts and also think it sounds odd.

for some reason i really dislike the south african accent? but i love the scousers accent?

charlie :hattip:
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

zmth wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:06 pm
prahocalypse now wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:28 am
shnoukieBRO wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:17 am However in terms of actually learning English. .then a person from the British Empire should be the first call, and then related English speaking countries.
Do you mean the former British Empire?

It's probably better to say that a person from an 'inner circle' country should be the first call, provided they are qualified.

So Nigeria would be put same place as Ghana ? Where would u put Guyana, Belize, Bahamas, Barbados, st Lucia, Dominica,Grenada, Antigua and several other
English speaking of west indies. From my experience many years ago when aparthied was still on the whites of south africa did not speak Afrikans but only english same as Australian and UK style and seems they should be same status as Australia.
I think Guyana, Belize, Bahamas, Barbados, St Lucia, Dominica, Grenada, Antigua, etc. would be in the outer circle.

The thing is that in some countries, there are varieties of English spoken on a continuum. For example, in Singapore, Singaporean English, which is similar to Standard British English is at one end of the continuum (I believe it's called the acrolect), where as at the other end of the continuum (the basilect) is Colloquial Singaporean English , or Singlish. No one in their right mind would want their children taught English by a Singlish speaker. So as far as South African English goes, I would guess that a lot of whiteys are at the acrolect end of the continuum, speaking something that closely resembles the Queen's English, where as many of their darker skinned countrymen would probably speak a variety of English at the other end of the continuum, which is less like Standard British English.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

"I would guess that a lot of whiteys are at the acrolect end of the continuum, speaking something that closely resembles the Queen's English" ?

In England very few people speak what you call "Queens English" they are a dying breed. There is an MP around at the moment, currently having his 5 minutes of fame, Jacob Rees Morg, he has an accent that could be called the "Queens English" and gets ridiculed for it, as does Danny Dwyer another character around at the moment having his 5 minutes who has what could be called the opposite accent, extreme cockney. I suspect both of them are playing to the gallery.

We have a large variety of accents in the UK, from Newcastle all the way down to Cornwall, most brits can usually tell straight away where somebody comes from, even similar accents such as Suffolk and Norfolk which are next door to each other differ. Some people claim to be able to tell an east ender from a south londoner. I have a cockney accent but when i was in the states i was constantly asked if i was an ozzie, to me the two accents sound very different, innit!

charlie
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

I don't just mean accent. By saying they speak something that resembles the Queen's English, I mean in terms of their grammar and vocabulary usage.

Take Singapore for example. The people who speak Standard Singaporean English might not have an accent that sounds like its from a 1950s BBC broadcast, but they would use grammatical structures that are similar to Standard British English and vocabulary you would find in the Oxford dictionary. Singlish speakers on the other hand say stupid shit like "Her eye bag so big machiam some panda" and "I go gogo bar wait for you". They use a lot of words that aren't from English, but Malay, Tamil or some Chinese language.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic