Tips regarding an air cooler?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Tips regarding an air cooler?

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I can't install a new split A/C inverter without the landlord's permission and assistance, so I'd need to be looking at a western-style window unit or a portable.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:21 pm I think it needs a cleaning too, but maybe you can help me troubleshoot? Here's what it does:

When it's on its game, it basically chases me out of the room -- it can run so cold as to make me wonder why. Then, it will seem almost to shudder ever so slightly, after which it still blows cold but much, much less so. When it does this I can sometimes get it back by hitting the down-temperature button on the remote control, and I can detect the same very faint shudder, right before the much colder air comes out again.

But here's the crucial detail, I think: If it won't respond to that input, I can go sit in my bathroom, and listen to a noise that has to be related somehow but which I can't identify. It sounds like a pump (perhaps a condensate pump?) but it runs in extremely short cycles when the A/C isn't working very well:

BRRRRRRRMMMMPPPP ... ... ... ... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMPPPP ... ... ... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPP
It sounds like an old one that's not a inverter model, so it blows cold until it detects the set temp, then stops blowing cold until it gets too warm, then starts blowing cold again. So basically the room temp swings from cold to warm and repeats al the time. An inverter one keeps the air a more constant temp because it's not switching off and on all the time.

As for cleaning, turn it off and remove the panel on the top of the internal unit, take it outside and sweep it with a dustpan brush and get all the dust off. If nothing else it will make the room smell less dusty.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Dangerous Dave wrote:I think it needs a cleaning too, but maybe you can help me troubleshoot? Here's what it does:

When it's on its game, it basically chases me out of the room -- it can run so cold as to make me wonder why. Then, it will seem almost to shudder ever so slightly, after which it still blows cold but much, much less so. When it does this I can sometimes get it back by hitting the down-temperature button on the remote control, and I can detect the same very faint shudder, right before the much colder air comes out again.

But here's the crucial detail, I think: If it won't respond to that input, I can go sit in my bathroom, and listen to a noise that has to be related somehow but which I can't identify. It sounds like a pump (perhaps a condensate pump?) but it runs in extremely short cycles when the A/C isn't working very well:

BRRRRRRRMMMMPPPP ... ... ... ... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMPPPP ... ... ... BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMPPPP
Haha. No idea mate. I'd start with getting an AC cleaning guy in to give inside and out a good blast with a pressure washer and see if the problem persists.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

and like epidemiks says, Dry Mode is effective for reducing humidity and makes the air feel cooler while using less power.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Thank you everyone! Already much cooler inside -- though the original question was for a balcony application so, it sounds like maybe the air cooler might work in that capacity?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Well for balcony yeah, get a fan with the mist spray option.
Dangerous Dave
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Dangerous Dave »

Where is the best place to get one of those?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

GTC7 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm I've got a pretty big one (has a 40L capacity of water), and it really only works outside, as in really exposed air outside.
This, they are designed for outdoor areas, and I'd imagine you'd end up with mildewed clothes/ curtains/ books and damaged electronics if you used them indoors.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Dangerous Dave wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:48 pm Where is the best place to get one of those?
Trying to remember where I've seen them. Monivong near Orussey, I think.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

that genius wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:26 pm You can pick up a second-hand Panasonic inverter with a 1-year guarantee for $150, even if something goes wrong later, easy to fix, loads of spares around, and cheap service
Seems a bit low, any particular place to recommend?

The shudder, on/off is the compressor firing up or shutting down. It sounds like it's oversized for the space.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic