To Get a Passport, Cambodians Asked to Pass Cash

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: To Get a Passport, Cambodians Asked to Pass Cash

Post by that genius »

PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm I wish the DoI would start doing EOS onsite.
They can, and they do...but they really don't like to and will always "push" people towards using agents.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:22 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm I wish the DoI would start doing EOS onsite.
They can, and they do...but they really don't like to and will always "push" people towards using agents.
Want a fixer job in about 12 months? I'll pay you half the savings...

I'm looking forward to it being an online process - can't remember who, but someone wrote in a newspaper article recently that if you want to eliminate the corruption, you need to eliminate the people in the process.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:20 pmI'm looking forward to it being an online process - can't remember who, but someone wrote in a newspaper article recently that if you want to eliminate the corruption, you need to eliminate the people in the process.
iirc, the WP process was taken over by a Malaysian company who made it an online thing, much to the chagrin of the guy who was coining it from back-payment commission skimming.

Then the price went up.

Seems the process involves paying more money, as usual, but to fewer people. I'd prefer to give $10 to a local tuk-tuk than $10 (or $20, more realistically) to some sweaty-palmed, podgy Uriah Heep expat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic