Police Restricts Foreigners' Driving License.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Police Restricts Foreigners' Driving License.

Post by whiteribbon »

Phnom Penh (FN), June 29 - General Him Yan, Deputy Police Chief, said that authority at all provinces must properly check foreigners' driving licenses, as some of them do not hold proper documents, speaking at the meeting on the international driving permit on Friday.

The general said that from now on, all foreigners must have a driving license accredited by local officers, by bringing along their passports and valid original documents for accreditation, otherwise, will face legal actions.

Cambodia has five types of driving licenses, categorized based on types of the vehicles, according to So Pisey, Deputy Chief of General Department of Road Transport of Ministry of Public Works and Transport.

Source and pictures: http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... Fresh News
just noise, white noise
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Police Restricts Foreigners' Driving License.

Post by phuketrichard »

sou get a Khmer license in PP and than have to have it accredited by the local police if u dont live in PP
but live in sr, kep, battamabng>
wtf??

what happens if u live in PP but are stopped in sr??,u'll face legal action>>

Cambodia- on step forwards 3 steps back

Be like a Khmer an dont bother with a license LOL

PS;ur link is dead
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Can't edit my original post any more but here is the correct link: http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 04-06.html

@phuketrichard I wish I didn't have to bother with renewing my driving licence every year but unfortunately my insurance won't pay out if I don't have a valid licence.
just noise, white noise
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

The only way to can get one is to sit the local test. I no longer have a licence from my 'home' country. I haven't lived there since 1992. Why would I have one? I do have a valid one from Australia.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 am Phnom Penh (FN), June 29 - General Him Yan, Deputy Police Chief, said that authority at all provinces must properly check foreigners' driving licenses, as some of them do not hold proper documents, speaking at the meeting on the international driving permit on Friday.

The general said that from now on, all foreigners must have a driving license accredited by local officers, by bringing along their passports and valid original documents for accreditation, otherwise, will face legal actions.

Cambodia has five types of driving licenses, categorized based on types of the vehicles, according to So Pisey, Deputy Chief of General Department of Road Transport of Ministry of Public Works and Transport.

Are they talking about the one year Cambodian Drivers License issued to foreigners or International Drivers License issued by the foreigners home country.
Logic suggests the latter.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

offroadscholar wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:39 am
whiteribbon wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:46 am Phnom Penh (FN), June 29 - General Him Yan, Deputy Police Chief, said that authority at all provinces must properly check foreigners' driving licenses, as some of them do not hold proper documents, speaking at the meeting on the international driving permit on Friday.

Are they talking about the one year Cambodian Drivers License issued to foreigners or International Drivers License issued by the foreigners home country.
Logic suggests the latter.
Reading the article again and looking at the pictures, they are talking about international driving licences it seems, I thought they weren't valid here before. Maybe they will be allowed in the future and we won't need a local licence any more, just get our international ones approved by local police?

Anyone here fluent enough in Khmer to translate this picture? Image
Last edited by whiteribbon on Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
just noise, white noise
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

What are the odds they mean international but the local cops won't get the message/understand this point?
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

there is no international driving license
only a international driving "permit" which is ONLY valid with ur real license< (ie u cant drive on ONLY a IDP)
Am wondering if i can get a Khmer license with my current Thai 5 year license?
OR i need my "home" country license?

On the books, since its part ASEAN,my thai license is valid in Cambodia BUT in reality i still got fined last time i was stopped LOL
BANGKOK, 18 June 2015 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) said a new driving license is being produced that can be used in the ten ASEAN nations.

Drivers with the new license will be able to drive their cars in ASEAN member states, including Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Brunei, Vietnam, Laos, Myanmar and Cambodia.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

newsworthy/today-sihanoukville-police-t ... 20677.html suggests International Driving Permits are accepted in SHV.

I'm guessing this is another move in response to the influx of Chinese. Easy to fake an IDP, so they want to check it against valid home country License and ID.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

offroadscholar wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:29 am suggests International Driving Permits are accepted in SHV.

I'm guessing this is another move in response to the influx of Chinese.
So Snook breaks away from the rest of the country re now accepting IDP coz it's chinese owned?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic