Police Restricts Foreigners' Driving License.

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Police Restricts Foreigners' Driving License.

Post by whiteribbon »

offroadscholar wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:29 am newsworthy/today-sihanoukville-police-t ... 20677.html suggests International Driving Permits are accepted in SHV.

I'm guessing this is another move in response to the influx of Chinese. Easy to fake an IDP, so they want to check it against valid home country License and ID.
Very interesting to see they now accept international driving licences/permits in Sihanoukville. So I guess the rest of the country will follow and we won't have to renew our Khmer licences every year soon :thumb:
just noise, white noise
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Don't international driver permits have to be issued in country you have your licence in? And they only last a year, and, if like the UK, you are only able to drive on one for limited time and then must get a local license. At least that's how it used to be.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

violet wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:48 pm Don't international driver permits have to be issued in country you have your licence in? And they only last a year, and, if like the UK, you are only able to drive on one for limited time and then must get a local license. At least that's how it used to be.
Oh my international is actually good for 4 years. But it does say: "international driving licence" on the front, not driving permit. So maybe different countries different ones issued. But mine was issued in my home country indeed.
(edit: sorry it's 3 years but my EU licence is good till 2033!)
just noise, white noise
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

whiteribbon wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:31 pm
offroadscholar wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:29 am newsworthy/today-sihanoukville-police-t ... 20677.html suggests International Driving Permits are accepted in SHV.

I'm guessing this is another move in response to the influx of Chinese. Easy to fake an IDP, so they want to check it against valid home country License and ID.
Very interesting to see they now accept international driving licences/permits in Sihanoukville. So I guess the rest of the country will follow and we won't have to renew our Khmer licences every year soon :thumb:
Sihanoukville police have accepted foreigners driving with an international license for at least the last 10 years, but other provinces have different rules. It was mentioned on another thread that Siem Reap province is going to stop renting motorbikes to foreigners. If so, I guess that it will only apply to SR. TIC. ;)

Personally, I think that it would be better for everyone if motorbike rentals nationwide could only rent to foreigners who can show they have a valid motorbike license, international or local. It's true that you see some tourists who have clearly never driven a motorbike before, and Cambodian roads are not a good place for learner drivers. Sihanoukville used to be cool because there wasn't much traffic, but that's not the case anymore and it can only get worse.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

ban Chinese and any snowflake under 30 riding any form of Moto includes it has three wheels

not mad frank though
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

International licenses to be inspected
July 2, 2018
The National Police on Friday ordered its provincial counterparts to inspect all international driver’s licenses and strengthen the process to obtain a Cambodian license in a bid to curb the rate of traffic-related accidents involving foreign drivers.

General Him Yan, deputy national police chief, said on Friday during a traffic meeting with provincial officials that inspections are necessary in order to reduce traffic accidents caused by foreigners unaware of Cambodian traffic laws.

The statement came after recent traffic reports showed that accidents involving foreigners in Sihanoukville have increased.

“From now on, foreign drivers must obtain both a license from their home country and an international driver’s license, and they will also need a Cambodian driver’s license,” Gen Yan said. “In case the police could not verify information on the driver, respective embassies will be contacted for assistance.”

He added that by law, an international license is not fully recognised in Cambodia and a foreign driver needs a local license.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50506948/i ... inspected/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

....“From now on, foreign drivers must obtain both a license from their home country and an international driver’s license, and they will also need a Cambodian driver’s license,
Thought u need a long term extension AND a note from where ur living?
They expect tourists to do all this PLUS waste a day getting the license??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:10 am “In case the police could not verify information on the driver, respective embassies will be contacted for assistance.”
Yeah, I'm sure they'll be falling over themselves to help regarding driving licences when they don't even offer a passport renewal in many cases. And what about the countries that don't have embassies here?

The intention is maybe good, but the HR support doesn't exist to check everyone.

They could start checking the clowns who drive trucks and minivans like madmen.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Wait...so foreigners now are required to have a valid license from their home country, an international license, AND a local license?
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

NZ and other countries have been discussing whether foreign (Asian) tourists must sit a test before they can drive on their country's roads. There are too many accidents being caused by people (Asians) who don't understand the nuances of driving there.

Perhaps instead of having to have a Cambodian driver's license, foreigners should be made to pass a test. Amusing considering many locals never passed a test.

Or, they could crack down on drunk drivers. Any stats on how many road deaths are the fault of a driver who is drunk, or on the peak hours for road traffic deaths?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic