Kampot. So WTF?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampot. So WTF?

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm
There is no difficulty in spotting the Snooky migrants in Kampot - wife beaters, cheap restaurants and the rising number of single old codgers drinking beer outside the minimarts. These are the "dregs of society" and they are mostly all yours.

[/quote]
How can anyone be so pompous to suggest that there is a class system amongst expats in a 3rd world developing country. Some are richer, have more income than others, that is is it.
[/quote]

Indeed. And to go so far as call snook migrants wife beaters? Perhaps long time Kampot expats could similarly pass judgement on PP migrants..
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:facepalm:

Wife beater = singlet, vest, tank top...he wasn't calling them wife beaters, he was saying they wear wife beaters
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:05 pm
Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm
There is no difficulty in spotting the Snooky migrants in Kampot - wife beaters, cheap restaurants and the rising number of single old codgers drinking beer outside the minimarts. These are the "dregs of society" and they are mostly all yours.
How can anyone be so pompous to suggest that there is a class system amongst expats in a 3rd world developing country. Some are richer, have more income than others, that is is it.
[/quote]

Indeed. And to go so far as call snook migrants wife beaters? Perhaps long time Kampot expats could similarly pass judgement on PP migrants..
[/quote]

And my knowledge of 'ClutchCargo' relates to holding a mans nutsack but there may well be other connotations that I am not aware of :hattip:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm What is one supposed to wear in 30c+ heat of the day, a 3 piece suit? Maybe all the old folk should cover up their bare arms, sit indoors or stay back in their country, in some retirement home in case you are offended.
What's the problem with you old codgers? The last few posts were completely unintelligible because you cant figure out how to do quotes. Other than that it's nonsense to suggest that we should all go around dressed like some kind of pig at the beach just because it's over 30°. Nobody wants to see your 1972 panther tattoo or your chicken legs. Just dress like normal people and you might not get treated like such freaks. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

hiway5 wrote:
AndyKK wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:27 am
hiway5 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:05 am I'll probably be back in a few weeks depending on the road. Will call in.
Your very welcome. But now you have me concerned about the road. What road are we talking about?
Osaom
Osoam KK fine.
Pramaoy OSoam, depends on when it last rained.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:07 pm
he wasn't calling them wife beaters, he was saying they wear wife beaters
Well the former would have been entirely consistent with his derogatory description of Snook migrants as 'dregs of society' 'riff-raff, destitutes, druggies and thieves and conmen'..
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:49 am
Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm What is one supposed to wear in 30c+ heat of the day, a 3 piece suit? Maybe all the old folk should cover up their bare arms, sit indoors or stay back in their country, in some retirement home in case you are offended.
What's the problem with you old codgers? The last few posts were completely unintelligible because you cant figure out how to do quotes. Other than that it's nonsense to suggest that we should all go around dressed like some kind of pig at the beach just because it's over 30°. Nobody wants to see your 1972 panther tattoo or your chicken legs. Just dress like normal people and you might not get treated like such freaks. 8-)
My tablet doesn't always perform too well on data, so perfecting quotes isn't top of the list of priorities.

Also less priority is listening to some prick that suggests old folk (which I don't yet consider myself to be) dress appropriately near the beach or in the sweltering heat of the day without suggesting how. We're not talking about thongs or tight speedos, but possibly T shirts, vests and shorts.
I'm taking a trip to UK, it's hot, bloody lovely and hot for a change!. Most people who don't want to sweat like a glassblowers arse are wearing the same!. Are you saying this is sooo not appropriate? Wow, there are even a few folk around without shirts on - you'd be shocked or embarrassed :facepalm: ! When I worked I had to wear overalls, when I went to meetings I wore smart clothes. What do normal non working people wear in the heat that isn't T shirts and shorts? Seeing shirt backs and underarms completely drenched with sweat is preferred?
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

Fourkinnel wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:55 pm
My tablet doesn't always perform too well on data, so perfecting quotes isn't top of the list of priorities.

Also less priority is listening to some prick that suggests old folk (which I don't yet consider myself to be) dress appropriately near the beach or in the sweltering heat of the day without suggesting how. We're not talking about thongs or tight speedos, but possibly T shirts, vests and shorts.
I'm taking a trip to UK, it's hot, bloody lovely and hot for a change!. Most people who don't want to sweat like a glassblowers arse are wearing the same!. Are you saying this is sooo not appropriate? Wow, there are even a few folk around without shirts on - you'd be shocked or embarrassed :facepalm: ! When I worked I had to wear overalls, when I went to meetings I wore smart clothes. What do normal non working people wear in the heat that isn't T shirts and shorts? Seeing shirt backs and underarms completely drenched with sweat is preferred?
oh so you are a Brit? Sensitive about class structures? Scot? You comprende comprehension? You have 'de-sensitiving' medicine?

this all derives from a poster called SnoukieBro casting aspersions about Kampot regularly with a nick that obviously is SHV oriented - all he does is snipe and allude to SHV superiority which is fine and dandy but they need to explain why they have that opinion and justify their complaints.

I dont understand why your panties are in a bunch - are you ageist and think you are being lumped in with the gin and tonic crowd? Or are you a fashionista? My compadre you seem overly sensitive.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

LOL
a poster called SnoukieBro casting aspersions about Kampot regularly
yes
constant repetitive trolling is what got all our preview members relegated to the list.
neg karma trolling is also discouraged.

free speech does not extend to riling people up for no good reason.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:42 am LOL
a poster called SnoukieBro casting aspersions about Kampot regularly
yes
constant repetitive trolling is what got all our preview members relegated to the list.
neg karma trolling is also discouraged.

free speech does not extend to riling people up for no good reason.
kgbagent wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:35 am
Fourkinnel wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:55 pm

oh so you are a Brit? Sensitive about class structures? Scot? You comprende comprehension? You have 'de-sensitiving' medicine?

I can understand if someone may say or quote something that maybe sounds just not right. But it could be that a poster may word a subject that is read in a total different way, to the actual subject the writing was meaning. Such dress codes old and young may have for sure different tastes or values, then again I can't see that if one is buying clothes here, due to most places selling pretty much the same items. We should though think of our hosts, by dressing respectable. Shorts and t-shirt surely is comfortable in this climate, and surely not offensive. Long trousers and a shirt for dinner in the evenings? Too hot still for me. But if it was an occasion, the effort would be made.
Most expats, mainly are here because they enjoy being here, some will have values from there homelands. Here too the older generation may keep strong links to such. Also one of my values is having respect for my older generations.
One thing is there any need or point to bring someone's nationality into this subject about Kampot. On that subject, I visited Kampot last year had a lovely time. Nice, relaxing and good food, sightseeing. Many different nationality. Or as this changed?

this all derives from a poster called SnoukieBro casting aspersions about Kampot regularly with a nick that obviously is SHV oriented - all he does is snipe and allude to SHV superiority which is fine and dandy but they need to explain why they have that opinion and justify their complaints.

SHV is no more how we had remembered the place.
SnoukieBro it obviously is not reborn in Kampot, and that town is what it is! For the time anyway.
The so called SHV refugees have been forced out of their homes and businesses, their little land of paradise. They have not only arrived at Kampot, but all over the country. Spare a little kind thought for their predicament of being uprooted. Also Khmers would be in the same situation, what has become of them?
SnoukieBro hope you find your lost paradise, if so let the expats know.

I dont understand why your panties are in a bunch - are you ageist and think you are being lumped in with the gin and tonic crowd? Or are you a fashionista? My compadre you seem overly sensitive.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic