Kampot. So WTF?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Kampot. So WTF?

Post by frank lee bent »

you can still insult fisherman pants, man bun wearing hipster soap dodgers.
except trapper, he has used his quota.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Fourkinnel wrote:
John Bingham wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:49 am
Fourkinnel wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:14 pm What is one supposed to wear in 30c+ heat of the day, a 3 piece suit? Maybe all the old folk should cover up their bare arms, sit indoors or stay back in their country, in some retirement home in case you are offended.
What's the problem with you old codgers? The last few posts were completely unintelligible because you cant figure out how to do quotes. Other than that it's nonsense to suggest that we should all go around dressed like some kind of pig at the beach just because it's over 30°. Nobody wants to see your 1972 panther tattoo or your chicken legs. Just dress like normal people and you might not get treated like such freaks. 8-)
My tablet doesn't always perform too well on data, so perfecting quotes isn't top of the list of priorities.

Also less priority is listening to some prick that suggests old folk (which I don't yet consider myself to be) dress appropriately near the beach or in the sweltering heat of the day without suggesting how. We're not talking about thongs or tight speedos, but possibly T shirts, vests and shorts.
I'm taking a trip to UK, it's hot, bloody lovely and hot for a change!. Most people who don't want to sweat like a glassblowers arse are wearing the same!. Are you saying this is sooo not appropriate? Wow, there are even a few folk around without shirts on - you'd be shocked or embarrassed :facepalm: ! When I worked I had to wear overalls, when I went to meetings I wore smart clothes. What do normal non working people wear in the heat that isn't T shirts and shorts? Seeing shirt backs and underarms completely drenched with sweat is preferred?
Go to the local market, buy Cambodian peasant clothes - the kind seen on the music videos when they show villagers. Also given for guests to wear in massage places (not sure if still true). Long shirt and long pants about $4-6 each. Material is thin, light, quick drying. Add a long krama over the neck to protect against the sun and as a sweat wiper. That’s all my daytime clothes for the KOW. After dark it’s cooler and I can wear a short sleeve shirt and shorts from Walmart.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Go to the local market, buy Cambodian peasant clothes - the kind seen on the music videos when they show villagers. Also given for guests to wear in massage places (not sure if still true). Long shirt and long pants about $4-6 each. Material is thin, light, quick drying. Add a long krama over the neck to protect against the sun and as a sweat wiper. That’s all my daytime clothes for the KOW.
So you think it's alright to go around in a ridiculous outfit just because you're on holiday? Good luck with that, your girlfriend must squirm with embarrassment every time you're out in public.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Go to the local market, buy Cambodian peasant clothes -
:please: LOL

i dress the same in Phuket as i dress in Bangkok, Mandalay, Bali, Phnom Pehn, San Francisco, etc etc
and on the road

Shorts, (almost to the knees) ,tee shirt or Hawaiian or short sleeve shirt & flip flops
In sf might add long pants, shoes and a light jacket

Have NEVER tired to dress like the locals,
why?? they all want dress like Americans :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bartender3042
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bartender3042 »

Wow. This thread took à turn.
It reads like an old thread on thaivisa, like 15 years ago! :D
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:45 pm
Go to the local market, buy Cambodian peasant clothes -
:please: LOL

i dress the same in Phuket as i dress in Bangkok, Mandalay, Bali, Phnom Pehn, San Francisco, etc etc
and on the road

Shorts, (almost to the knees) ,tee shirt or Hawaiian or short sleeve shirt & flip flops
In sf might add long pants, shoes and a light jacket

Have NEVER tired to dress like the locals,
why?? they all want dress like Americans :beer3:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i take offense at ur photo of me, u MUST have photoshopped it

I DON'T wear Socks!!!
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:01 am
I DON'T wear Socks!!!
How about these? :hattip:

shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:42 am LOL
a poster called SnoukieBro casting aspersions about Kampot regularly
yes
constant repetitive trolling is what got all our preview members relegated to the list.
neg karma trolling is also discouraged.

free speech does not extend to riling people up for no good reason.
Har har....

Kampot seems ok when you avoid the rather repetitive town centre and riverside area or bars run by Ozzie for their Ozzie mates to drink in,etc,...Or places to eat that stink of garbage and sewerage cos the drains and bins are nearby and super minging.

It's actually a nice peaceful place away from that. Never mind when an ignorant foreigner sits next to you, annoys you by smoking all over you when you're trying to eat your favorite curry ( because the place is full of grimy chain smoking cigarette smokers)...And Never mind the annoyingly noisy motorbikes only driven by expats. ....or the latest expat bar idea that won't attract any business because it's started by someone who won't invest properly into it.

Kampot is cool if you learn to find a way to avoid the above things...I never proclaimed the old SHV was superior, but the bars and scene were better and livelier.

Kampot is basically the last place left on the mainland now for the alternative crowd but it most definitely could do with improvements in a perfect world. It's obvious that no one cares about the place the way businesses operate or the place looks. The roads could do with a clean up for a start! And I wonder what's gonna happen when the Chinese get their teeth stuck into the place. 😁
Last edited by shnoukieBRO on Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

newkidontheblock wrote:
Long shirt and long pants about $4-6 each. Material is thin, light, quick drying. Add a long krama over the neck to protect against the sun and as a sweat wiper. That’s all my daytime clothes for the KOW..
Traditional and stylish.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic