Irishman Tomas Beecher Hit and Killed by Range Rover

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Irish National Killed

Post by StroppyChops »

Joker Poker wrote:Yep, the ones who walk on the downtrodden show their true colours when they have an accident, they flee. I get so sick of watching morons deciding that traffic laws don't apply to them and putting lives at risk.
I was driving the tuktuk along the inside lane (I was turning left) by the American embassy today and some peanut in a Lexus starts trying to push me into the oncoming traffic. It wasn't until I yelled to him a suggestion of self-abuse that he stopped, but the look he gave was that I was somehow the one being the entitled bully. What is with these morons at the moment?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

I dunno whether it is any worse lately, it's always really bad.

Pretty well everyday I get pushed to the far right of the road by some moron overtaking into oncoming traffic. Some of these clowns aren't long for this world that's for sure. However, when you see the examples set by state plated vehicles, police and RCAF how can you expect the masses to be any different?

Driving here has always been and still is my number one objection to living here. It is just madness.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Follow up article in the PPP today:

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/a ... lam-father

And today (2/10) CD article:

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/polic ... run-68839/

Now we'll see if the will to sort this shit out prevails. Don't hold your breath.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Cambodiadaily.com wrote:Police Identify Owner of SUV Involved in Deadly Hit and Run
BY HAY PISEY | OCTOBER 2, 2014
Phnom Penh traffic police on Wednesday identified the owner of a Range Rover whose driver hit and killed an Irish national on Monivong Boulevard on Sunday.

The driver, who fled the scene, remains at large.

Tomas Beecher, 30, was walking his bicycle across Monivong Boulevard near the intersection of Street 278 in Boeng Keng Kang I commune at about 1:30 a.m. when the SUV broadsided him, killing him instantly.

Sem Kunthea, the deputy municipal traffic police chief in charge of the case, said the owner of the Range Rover is Hou Sila, deputy chief of the tourist police in Preah Vihear.

Mr. Kunthea also identified the tourist police official’s daughter, who is suspected of being the driver at the time of the crash, as 20-year-old Sila Ratanak. He said he questioned Mr. Sila on Sunday and Tuesday, and he denied that his daughter had killed the Irishman.

“He said that it was his daughter’s friend who was driving the car on the day of the accident and not his daughter,” Mr. Kunthea said, adding that Ms. Ratanak has not returned home since the night of the deadly accident.

“We want to arrest her but she ran away,” he said.

The white Range Rover, whose dented hood is still caked with Tomas Beecher’s dried blood, is being held at the municipal traffic police headquarters.

After the crash the damaged SUV began smoking, Mr. Kunthea said, at which point the driver pulled over and fled the scene with one or two other friends.

“I have finished preparing the [accident] report and I am going to send the report to the court now to get the arrest warrant,” he said Wednesday. “There are two people who we have to arrest: the daughter of the car’s owner and her friend.”

Contacted by telephone Wednesday, Mr. Sila said he did not know where his daughter was, and that he wasn’t sure whether she had been driving at the time of the accident.

“I have not yet received a clear report [on what happened]…. My daughter ran away,” he said, then hung up.
http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/polic ... run-68839/
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

What is pleasing is tourism must be strong in Preah Vihear that the head of the tourist police there (with a salary of around $100/month) can afford a range rover.

I guess his wife is good at business...
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

Digg3r wrote:What is pleasing is tourism must be strong in Preah Vihear that the head of the tourist police there (with a salary of around $100/month) can afford a range rover.

I guess his wife is good at business...
This!

Most govt salaried workers wouldn't be able to fill the petrol tank of their car on their monthly pay.

Does anyone have a list of govt salaries here?
VLayHo-ho-ho
Expatriate
Philippines

Post by VLayHo-ho-ho »

The latest from Independent Irish news (what we already knew): http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ir ... 25290.html

Here is the latest from the Phnom Penh Post: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/h ... harges-due

Where is Justice in all of this?
There was no sarcasm or malice intended during the making of this post.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Irishman Tomas Beecher Hit and Killed by Range Rover

Post by General Mackevili »

Three days after Irishman Tomas Beecher was hit and killed by a Range Rover late last month while walking his bicycle across Monivong Boulevard in Phnom Penh, police vowed to arrest the driver.

But more than 10 days later, the court has yet to issue an arrest warrant for the young woman believed to have been behind the wheel, who remains at large, while police have visited neither her home nor that of the SUV’s owner.

Tomas Beecher (Courtesy of Helen Beecher)

Tomas Beecher, 30, was walking his bicycle across Monivong near the intersection of Street 278 in Chamkar Mon district’s Boeng Keng Kang I commune at about 1:30 a.m. on September 28 when he was struck by the Range Rover and killed instantly.

The suspected driver, Sila Ratanak, 20, fled the scene.

The Irishman had been in the process of renovating the Golden Mekong Hotel in Daun Penh district, which closed down about six months ago.

On Thursday, the Irish Embassy in Vietnam sent a consular official to Phnom Penh to meet with the deputy prosecutor in charge of the case to ensure that the investigation was progressing.

“All I can say is that we’re following the investigation,” Chiara Popplewell, the embassy official, said after the meeting at the Phnom Penh Municipal Court. “I have met with the police and the prosecutor.”

Deputy prosecutor Meas Chanpiseth said police contacted him immediately after the accident and that he ordered them to track down the driver.

“I told them to find [Ms. Ratanak],” he said. “I am not sure if they have done so. How can I know?”

Mr. Chanpiseth, who received an investigation report from police on Tuesday, added that he has issued a summons for Ms. Ratanak to appear in court for questioning on October 16.

“I cannot force her to come,” he said. “If she does not show, an investigating judge can issue an arrest warrant.”

Sem Kunthea, the deputy municipal traffic police chief in charge of the case, initially said he would not wait for an arrest warrant to track down Ms. Ratanak. But this week, as new details emerged, he refused to answer questions about the investigation.

Mr. Kunthea initially identified Ms. Ratanak’s father, Hou Sila, as the deputy chief of the tourism police in Preah Vihear province and the owner of the SUV.

In fact, Hou Sila is a major in the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) and the head of the finance office for the RCAF’s submilitary region in Preah Vihear province, according to deputy provincial RCAF commander Meas Yoeun.

The Range Rover that struck Tomas Beecher, which is being kept at the municipal traffic police headquarters, does not belong to Maj. Sila, but to 20-year-old Hang Linda, a friend of Ms. Ratanak’s, according to Ms. Linda’s older sister Keo Srey.

Their father, Hang Chivon, is the tourism police official in Preah Vihear , according to Ms. Srey.

“The police have not come to my home yet,” Ms. Srey told reporters on Tuesday at the house she and her sister share in Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey commune.

“That SUV belongs to my younger sister, but it was not my younger sister who drove it [during the hit and run],” Ms. Srey said.

“My younger sister’s friend drove it,” she said, referring to Ms. Ratanak.

Ms. Srey said that on the night of the accident, her younger sister had been at a nightclub for a birthday party with Ms. Ratanak and left the keys to her new Range Rover on a table. Ms. Ratanak grabbed the keys and took the SUV for a drive, she said.

Ms. Linda could not be reached.

A woman who answered the door at Maj. Sila’s home in Russei Keo district’s Chraing Chamreh I commune Tuesday refused to identify herself, but said Ms. Ratanak sometimes stays there, and claimed she was not home at the time.

“[Gen. Sila] has many homes,” the woman said. “[Ms. Ratanak] stays here sometimes.”

The woman said police had not visited the house and declined to answer further questions.

Contacted by telephone, Maj. Sila hung up on a reporter.

Mr. Kunthea, contacted Thursday, declined to give an update on the case and referred questions to court officials.

Deputy prosecutor Meas Chanpiseth confirmed that police only interviewed two individuals as part of their investigation into the hit and run—a friend of Ms. Ratanak who had been driving a motorbike behind the SUV when it broadsided Tomas Beecher, and Maj. Sila, who contacted police of his own volition.

Mr. Chanpiseth added that he has also summoned two friends of Ms. Ratanak who were at the birthday party, but declined to provide their names.

Helen Beecher, the older sister of Tomas Beecher, said by telephone from Ireland that her family was coordinating with the Irish Embassy in Hanoi to.....

...click link to continue reading...

http://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/polic ... ver-69522/
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Still no arrests. Shocking.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote:Sila Ratanak...
Say no more.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic