Getting money from UK to the Kingdom

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Getting money from UK to the Kingdom

Post by chiltern »

I Swift money from my UK Nationwide account to my Cambodian account with the ANZ Royal. Nationwide used to charge £25 but that has now reduced to £20 irrespective of the amount transferred and the ANZ add a handling fee of £15 so I don't transfer small amounts.
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

StroppyChops wrote:After fiddling with a couple of options (carrying currency, transfer for cash for a friend, Western Union, PayPal) we found that the fastest and cheapest option is bank-to-bank international transfer. Takes about two business days from our Australian ANZ account to our Canadia account, $24 charge from the home end, no charges at this end. Our home account allows us to transfer in USD at the prevailing rate.
An update as promised, we took the pass book in to have out updated and discovered that we are being charged $24 from the home account and then $35 to receive the money in our cannabis Canadia account. I think this makes western union a cheaper option.
Using Tapatalk
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mrs Stroppy wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:After fiddling with a couple of options (carrying currency, transfer for cash for a friend, Western Union, PayPal) we found that the fastest and cheapest option is bank-to-bank international transfer. Takes about two business days from our Australian ANZ account to our Canadia account, $24 charge from the home end, no charges at this end. Our home account allows us to transfer in USD at the prevailing rate.
An update as promised, we took the pass book in to have out updated and discovered that we are being charged $24 from the home account and then $35 to receive the money in our cannabis Canadia account. I think this makes western union a cheaper option.
Big ups to PSD-Kiwi for the heads-up on this one. Almost $60 for every international transfer? What a joke. Also found that using our Canadia cards in ABA ATMs was costing $5.50 per transaction. The hassle with using WU is suddenly not looking as bad.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Sweet as StropyChops bro. I suggest you get yourself an ABA account, especially for their internet banking services, I've never had any problems with their ATMs, and you can get either a Visa or Mastercard debit card which can be used internationaaly and for online purchases.

Below are their inward remittance fees. I normally transfer just under 10k per transfer as the fees are higher once you exceed $10,000.

Currency Amount Currency Commission
USD Any amount USD 0.10% or min. USD 10 (whichever is higher)
EUR Any amount EUR 0.10% or min. EUR 10 (whichever is higher)
GBP Any amount GBP 0.10% or min. GBP 10 (whichever is higher)
SGD Any amount SGD 0.10% or min. SGD 20 (whichever is higher)
THB Any amount THB 0.10% or min. THB 1,000 (whichever is higher)
CNY/RMB Any amount RMB 0.10% or min. RMB 150 (whichever is higher)
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Sweet as StropyChops bro. I suggest you get yourself an ABA account, especially for their internet banking services, I've never had any problems with their ATMs, and you can get either a Visa or Mastercard debit card which can be used internationaaly and for online purchases.

Below are their inward remittance fees. I normally transfer just under 10k per transfer as the fees are higher once you exceed $10,000.

Currency Amount Currency Commission
USD Any amount USD 0.10% or min. USD 10 (whichever is higher)
EUR Any amount EUR 0.10% or min. EUR 10 (whichever is higher)
GBP Any amount GBP 0.10% or min. GBP 10 (whichever is higher)
SGD Any amount SGD 0.10% or min. SGD 20 (whichever is higher)
THB Any amount THB 0.10% or min. THB 1,000 (whichever is higher)
CNY/RMB Any amount RMB 0.10% or min. RMB 150 (whichever is higher)
Cheers brother - I'll have to see if you need a work card to open a bank account with ABA, but as Canadia doesn't seem to have an Internet service (or a crappy one at most), this sounds like the way to go.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

They don't require proof of employment, just passport and Ordinary visa, plus minimum opening balance ($10 0r 50...can't remember?). Yea, Canadias internet banking is only good for checking your balance and transferring to other Canadia accounts.
djones
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by djones »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:Sweet as StropyChops bro. I suggest you get yourself an ABA account
Thanks for the recommendation, i opened an account with them last week, 3 working days later ATM card and online banking working . The young lady in the Central branch apologized that the initial paperwork took so long to fill out. It took 20 mins!
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Mrs Stroppy wrote: the money in our cannabis Canadia account.
Ahh, so that's how you're financing yourselves.

:dragonchase:
Mrs Stroppy
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Mrs Stroppy »

Username Taken wrote:
Mrs Stroppy wrote: the money in our cannabis Canadia account.
Ahh, so that's how you're financing yourselves.

:dragonchase:
Oh good grief! Obviously that wasn't what I meant but it's funny....
Using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic