Martini's DJ Turned Infomant.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Martini's DJ Turned Infomant.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

THE exact date and time that his life changed for ever is etched into Saroeun Sek’s memory: 3 May 2004, at 2 p.m.

Mr Sek’s club, Martini, was one of the most “notorious” in Cambodia for the sexual exploitation of girls — some as young as nine years old — and it attracted foreigners from all over the world, he said.

“Every night, it was open from dusk until dawn. Every night, girls were transported from different places to go to the club and for the customer to select the girl,” he said. This was an open secret — he regularly saw customers on the dance floor openly choosing which girl they would take home.

When I saw young girls sold to the customer in order to have sex, I felt that I have assisted,” Mr Sek admitted. Sometimes, the girls would object, and then be beaten or pulled around the club by their hair.

It was a high-risk combination: twice, the Chinese gangsters who owned the club accused him of being responsible for the increased number of police raids, but he was able to talk his way out of trouble.

Full article https://www.churchtimes.co.uk/articles/ ... raffickers
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Martini's DJ Turned Infomant.

Post by that genius »

9 year olds in Martinis? Horsehit. They used to demand ID at the door long before 2004

I'm guessing an NGO somewhere needs funding
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I don't recall seeing any young people in there ever. There were always plenty of hookers around but they were mainly of the worn-out variety, along with all the bar girls who went there to dance after work. There wasn't a lot of choice in late night venues for a long time. It was there or the tacky 80s style club Manhattans.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I only arrived in ‘07 but never saw any underage girls available there. As Lucan said, most were worn out old hags but there was a few cuties to be found if you were lucky.

Not saying that it didn’t happen (anything’s possible I guess) just it was not as open as this guy is trying to make it out to be.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

imho, this guy sold out to ngo bidder

No Khmer guy ever chose money over beliefs, right?
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

“Cross-border trafficking is a major regional problem,” he said. Some victims have been trapped on board boats for up to seven years. One of his clients was almost killed when he demanded payment for his 20-hours-a-day of backbreaking work, only escaping by jumping overboard and swimming 170 km until he was rescued by the Brunei Navy.

Furrrk this guy can swim the English channel 6 times, now that is impressive :hattip:
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I saw a girl on the dance floor once, she might have been 18, I didn't know what to do. So I turned my attentions to a 40 year old. She still remembers me; how embarrassing! What was I thinking? To paraphrase Al Bundy.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

Hyperbole and fabrication still rule trafficking stories. It is horrible enough without making shit up and exaggerating.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Felgerkarb wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 pm Hyperbole and fabrication still rule trafficking stories. It is horrible enough without making shit up and exaggerating.
It's an article by the editor of The Church Times extolling the virtues of the Christian NGO, International Justice Mission (IJM). It should really have been posted in Stroppy's thread here:
Thoughts? Child-sex industry is dwindling, thanks to Christians
general-chatter/thoughts-child-sex-indu ... ex%20abuse
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Research suggested that up to 50 per cent of all sex workers were under age when Mr Sek began his clandestine work for IJM. But, thanks to the dogged determination of charities, and growing public pressure, the tide began to turn. Today, less than one per cent of prostitution in Cambodia involves under-age girls.
Interesting angle there, it seems the organization might be, without saying it outright, claiming the kudos for that reduction? I have no doubt that figures have declined but it's impossible to know when so much of the business goes on behind closed doors.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic