White Guy Robbed on Monivong Blvd

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Pragmatist
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: White Guy Robbed on Monivong Blvd

Post by Pragmatist »

A few years ago, i had to carry 80k for a whole day, had to sign a contract with some dodgy khmer gangster who run some gamble Company , i personnaly feel safe to carry cash in kh, nobody ever try to fuck with me . I use to carry a lot of cash a
In europe on a frequent basis tho, in different europe slums ( france, spain, holland ) wich imo was 1000000X more dangerous then here.

Ps : ill bet than it was someone money not HIS, whole story sounds fishy, not easy to get snatch it a pass app imo , plus the odds to get robbed the ONLY day you go to the airport with 30k in your bag is pretty low...... plus if you stay here longtime, you suppose to have some local street smarts... ( o wait )
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

Albror wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:37 am No, 10.000$ is how much you can bring without having to prove where it comes from.

As long as you can prove that the money is legit there is no limit to how much cash you can travel with.
im sure mr kung fu is asking abt how much cash that one can bring in without proving anything

anyway, r we still on this? this is insurance scam, and CEO had just made his case more credible :ROFL:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
iheartheenim
Tourist
Somalia

Post by iheartheenim »

"Lang bang" or what we call language barrier. Lost in translation? I don't think the bag has 30k USD in it, the whole bag and evrything in it costs 30k USD IN TOTAL.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

maybe he was off to buy a business in Kampot off an unlicensed vendor with it.

It does sound a bit strange. Here is one scenario. Guy has $30k for a business deal (not his) tells a couple of khmer moto mates to come and steal an empty bag off him. he will make it easy to grab. they get a few $$ and he keeps the $30k tells the boss what could he do.

or

He owes someone $30k "yeah i'm flying today to pay you" he doesnt have it and does a similar story.

or it is a totally legit story and I should stop watching Alex Jones conspiracy theories. :beer3:

the one thing I dont get though is if the guy has been here 10 years then rule 101 of any open transport with a bag of anything of value in $100 kindle never mind $30k is you have that fucker wrapped so tight round your hand and you are aware of your surroundings. I do that whatever, tuk tuk, passapp, moto
paulmeoff
Tourist
Argentina

Post by paulmeoff »

Clear one of the many boiler room boys whose moved to cambodia from thailand. Probably on his way to hong kong one of the few countrys with no restrictions on the amount cash you can bring in and deposit into a bank account.Severes the cunt right! Owe the irony of the thief becoming the victim!
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

angkorjohn wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 am the one thing I dont get though is if the guy has been here 10 years then rule 101 of any open transport with a bag of anything of value in $100 kindle never mind $30k is you have that fucker wrapped so tight round your hand and you are aware of your surroundings. I do that whatever, tuk tuk, passapp, moto
Many people including myself are comfortably slipping on this advice. This thread is a good reminder. I'll think twice the next time I bring both office and gym bag into a PassApp at bag snatching capital Wat Lanka.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

fax wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:50 am
angkorjohn wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:40 am the one thing I dont get though is if the guy has been here 10 years then rule 101 of any open transport with a bag of anything of value in $100 kindle never mind $30k is you have that fucker wrapped so tight round your hand and you are aware of your surroundings. I do that whatever, tuk tuk, passapp, moto
Many people including myself are comfortably slipping on this advice. This thread is a good reminder. I'll think twice the next time I bring both office and gym bag into a PassApp at bag snatching capital Wat Lanka.
I am always super careful and aware when in a Tuk-tuk in PP. And again: anything valuable and car it is.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I always feel much safer in a pass-app when it's raining and the driver has zipped up the 'doors' either side of me. I've even wondered about doing it myself even when it's not raining, but I don't because it would probably attract more attention and it would seem a bit weird.

Maybe if it became the norm that people always zip those doors up when sitting in the back? I know it's only cloth material but it's enough to prevent the random opportunist.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
jimsocks
Expatriate

Post by jimsocks »

$30,000 backpack? NOPE. probably had $30,000 cash in there. its gone. aint no insurance company giving him 30,000 for a leather backpack. and yes, in cambodia ppl bring cash to buy cars and property.
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

xandreu wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:34 am I always feel much safer in a pass-app when it's raining and the driver has zipped up the 'doors' either side of me. I've even wondered about doing it myself even when it's not raining, but I don't because it would probably attract more attention and it would seem a bit weird.

Maybe if it became the norm that people always zip those doors up when sitting in the back? I know it's only cloth material but it's enough to prevent the random opportunist.
You'd love the auto rickshaws in Dhaka. I couldn't help but feel I was traveling in a death trap.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic