Last Plane Out of Cambodia.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Last Plane Out of Cambodia.

Post by k*rm*geddon »

Pochentong airport fell on April 12.
So a DC-3 setting off for a 'rice run' to Phnom Penh on the 17th is weird.

Re. this part:
... The attackers regularly shot at planes, and as a result most aircraft were adorned with flattened beer cans that had been pop-riveted onto their fuselages for emergency repairs. My narrowest escape occurred when a .50-caliber round went through the wing and fuselage but missed the fuel selector valve by just an inch.
I mentioned in a kindle about being on a plane hit by ground fire in May 1974 almost immediately after take off from Pochentong, and I'm curious as to if it was the flight he references. Apparently the OP was an extract from a book by Hansen which doesn.t appear to be out yet.

After Phnom Penh came under final siege from Jan.1 1975, incoming planes stayed as high as they could before plunging into almost a Stuka dive on the airport. I had two such arrivals, and they were seat-clenching stuff.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic