Alibaba - you're scaring me

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Alibaba - you're scaring me

Post by StroppyChops »

From my FB posts:
I recently contacted a supplier on Alibaba (China's Amazon) regarding a sample of silicone for making soap molds. Based on that single contact, Alibaba is now sending me emails recommending products that it's confident I want.

Today's list of products I need includes:
- menstruation cups from multiple companies
- dolphin statues
- various road line-painters, again from multiple sources
- and medical fridges.

I'm astounded at how freakily this technology has worked out my interests and needs, based on one visit and after researching one product.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Alibaba - you're scaring me

Post by Kammekor »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:33 pm From my FB posts:
I recently contacted a supplier on Alibaba (China's Amazon) regarding a sample of silicone for making soap molds. Based on that single contact, Alibaba is now sending me emails recommending products that it's confident I want.

- dolphin statues
- and medical fridges.

I'm astounded at how freakily this technology has worked out my interests and needs, based on one visit and after researching one product.
Artificial Intelligence, while much more advanced than ever, still has a long way to go, and privacy laws are non existent in China. So this persons ends up getting all kinds of offers, from all kinds of Chinese sources, as suggested by Ali Baba's AI. And companies pay for his contact details.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:49 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:33 pm From my FB posts:

- dolphin statues
- and medical fridges.

Artificial Intelligence, while much more advanced than ever, still has a long way to go, and privacy laws are non existent in China. So this persons ends up getting all kinds of offers, from all kinds of Chinese sources, as suggested by Ali Baba's AI. And companies pay for his contact details.
Just to be clear, that's my own post. I'm not sure what i need dolphin statues for, but the rest are pretty on-point.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

OK, fair enough. I don't use Facebook. So Ali Baba's AI got 3 out of 4 right, after you contacting only one seller. That's impressive, and maybe a bit scary as well.
stevenjb
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by stevenjb »

The menstruation cups might work.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@ Stroppy
Everyone needs dolphin statues. I have a dolphin toothpick holder from Kratie and what can I say ? Indispensable.

They also have giant dolphin statues for sale in Kratie, but I'm still thinking about where I could put one. It would have to be tastefully done. It's not for everyone. BUT, if you do ever feel the need for such an item, please go up to Kratie and buy from the woodcarvers there. Can't be worse than Alibaba. ;-)

Sorry, this is OT, but Im so pissed off with internet spam right now that I d rather talk about dolphins. :mrgreen:
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

I am the danger.
I am the one who knocks.
Scarier than malaria.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:26 am @ Stroppy
Everyone needs dolphin statues. I have a dolphin toothpick holder from Kratie and what can I say ? Indispensable.
Well, dispensible, surely ... isn't that the point?
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:54 pmI'm not sure what i need dolphin statues for, but the rest are pretty on-point.
algorithm picked up i-Pod
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

everything I search on Aliexpress invariably turns up as an ad in Facebook
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic