Tap Water Opinions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Tap Water Opinions

Post by Ricky Dunn »

Is the tap water safe to drink in Phnom Penh? Thank you.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Tap Water Opinions

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

It's safe to drink when boiled in tea or coffee. It is safe filtered. Although it is said to be safe when it leaves the water treatment station, I have never been brave enough to try it from the tap.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:40 am It's safe to drink when boiled in tea or coffee. It is safe filtered. Although it is said to be safe when it leaves the water treatment station, I have never been brave enough to try it from the tap.
Because I am cursed with negative thought in Cambodia, I follow the same procedures.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:40 am It's safe to drink when boiled in tea or coffee. It is safe filtered. Although it is said to be safe when it leaves the water treatment station, I have never been brave enough to try it from the tap.

Except if someone leaves right next to the water reservoir, I guess that it reaches homes polluted and infected. I can imagine how look the canalization...
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Haven't lived in PP for over three years now but I used to drink water from the tap all the time. No problems.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Phnom Penh has cleaner water than several American cities. The municipal supply system has won awards from international organisations, searcg Phnom Penh Water Supply Authority

Sent from my SM-A800S using Tapatalk

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I attended a conference on this a while back. The experts say PP water is the second best in Asia, after Singapore. The problem is the local storage, so if your building has an open concrete tank you have a problem, sealed stainless steel tanks are good. The other issue is the chlorine in the water. Boiling willl not remove the chlorine but leaving the water overnight in an open bucket will. Oh, and it's only PP water that is good, everywhere else in Cambodia it's terrible, so they said.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

I guess that when purified and cleaned water is ok in most countries. But I will never believe that pipes are clean and safe in PP.

Are they testing thousand homes taps water to know ? This is pure bullshit. They test it where they stock it but they have no idea how it arrives at people home.
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Heng Heng Heng wrote:Although it is said to be safe when it leaves the water treatment station, I have never been brave enough to try it from the tap.
Ive heard the same thing although I would hate to think the state of the pipes between the plant and the houses.

Never been brave enough to drink straight from the tap here but use it for cooking, coffee and brushing teeth regularly without problem.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

All your eating and drinking utensils are washed in tap water, so you'll get to know the local fauna pretty quickly, anyhow. That little bit of ice in your beer mug is tap water. Best to expose yourself slowly but pretty much everyone who comes to Cambodia will get the shits, anyhow. It's how the KOW says hello.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic