Attack at Naga House - Kampot

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Attack at Naga House - Kampot)

Post by fax »

bartender3042 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 am
fax wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 pm
bartender3042 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 pm To be fair, Naga (and banyan/bodhi) have been doing these nights for much longer than most of the housing that is affected. Or effected.
So what, Naga House moves in then nobody else can? First let them buy the whole affected area and then we can use it as a fair being argument.
I get your point. I do. (And I like my peace and quiet these days). But what I am saying is these establishments have been doing this for (Khmer-relatively) a long time. And they set up in an area that is (was) not overly inhabited. People have since chosen to buy land parcels all around, knowing fully well that there are Friday and Saturday night parties.

Would you move next door to your towns nightclub and then complain?
The #1 reason Naga House’s own customers complain is about the noise. Their TripAdvisor comments paint a picture of a place playing loud noise until 4-5: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... vince.html

Nobody moved next to a night club. Naga House brands itself as a guesthouse targeting backpackers in a peaceful and quiet area. It’s neighbours are open fields and a river.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Attack at Naga House - Kampot

Post by that genius »

It would be interesting to see how the DJs would react if somebody cranked up the music outside their bedroom when they were sleeping during the day
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Moe wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:34 am
hanno wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 pm
Moe wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 pm
hanno wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:23 pm
Stramash23 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 pmYou miss the point: complaints are rare now because we turn it down WITHOUT RECEIVING COMPLAINTS from around midnight. It is even rarer to get to complaint #3.
If you kept me awake every night until
around midnight
, your power cables would have an accident before too long.

And from Prakas 42: maximum nosie levels permitted between 22:00 and 06:00: 45 decibel.
Wow, 45 decibels is pretty low. My AC is cranking out more noise than that from across the room.
You need a new A/C.
While I tend to agree, the following should help to demonstrate what 45 db is like:

dBA Example Home & Yard Appliances Workshop & Construction
0 healthy hearing threshold
10 a pin dropping
20 rustling leaves
30 whisper
40 babbling brook computer
50 light traffic refrigerator
60 conversational speech air conditioner

70 shower dishwasher
75 toilet flushing vacuum cleaner
80 alarm clock garbage disposal
85 passing diesel truck snow blower
90 squeeze toy lawn mower arc welder
95 inside subway car food processor belt sander
100 motorcycle (riding) handheld drill
105 sporting event table saw
110 rock band jackhammer
115 emergency vehicle siren riveter
120 thunderclap oxygen torch
125 balloon popping
130 peak stadium crowd noise
135 air raid siren
140 jet engine at takeoff
145 firecracker
150 fighter jet launch
155 cap gun
160 shotgun
165 .357 magnum revolver
170 safety airbag
175 howitzer cannon
180 rocket launch

https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html
And where is the Naga House on that?
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

It's the bass that travels and disturbs people. The one in charge of the volume control should be the one who pays the disturbing the peace fine; automatically deducted from their pay.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
bartender3042
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Attack at Naga House - Kampot)

Post by bartender3042 »

fax wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:24 am
bartender3042 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:33 am
fax wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 pm
bartender3042 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 pm To fair, Naga (and banyan/bodhi) have been doing these nights for much longer than most of the housing that is affected. Or effected.
So what, Naga House moves in then nobody else can? First let them buy the whole affected area
I get your point. I do. (And I like my peace and quiet these days). But what I am saying is these establishments have been doing this for (Khmer-relatively) a long time. And they set up in an area that is (was) not overly inhabited. People have since chosen to buy land parcels all around, knowing fully well that there are Friday and Saturday night parties.

Would you move next door to your towns nightclub and then complain?
The #1 reason Naga House’s own customers complain is about the noise. Their TripAdvisor comments paint a picture of a place playing loud noise until 4-5: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Revie ... vince.html

Nobody moved next to a night club. Naga House brands itself as a guesthouse targeting backpackers in a peaceful and quiet area. It’s neighbours are open fields and a river.

Ah ok, I confess I have paid little attention to their branding. But with two (I believe). party boats and a Well known Saturday night slot, perhaps, a rebrand is due.
The neighbours were open fields and river. Now it's all guest houses, whatever Peter Miller's latest fad is, and private property.. And the river.

It won't matter much soon anyway. The town is a construction site now.
Moe
Expatriate

Post by Moe »

Hey Hanno,

I'm guessing they are substantially higher than that. I'm not in any way trying to defend this place; I've never been there and hadn't heard of it until this thread. If anything, I agree with those saying that they're not a good neighbor and I feel sorry for those who live near there. I was just kind of surprised that the law is that the noise level has to be that low.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Moe wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:04 am Hey Hanno,

I'm guessing they are substantially higher than that. I'm not in any way trying to defend this place; I've never been there and hadn't heard of it until this thread. If anything, I agree with those saying that they're not a good neighbor and I feel sorry for those who live near there. I was just kind of surprised that the law is that the noise level has to be that low.
My reply was tongue-in-cheek; I also do not know the place. However, I once had the pleasure of staying next to the hippie market in Chinkville and was kept awake until 4am by incredibly loud music.
angkorjohn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn »

I may have lost track of the story as it did keep changing I'm also lazy to go back and find all the quotes.

But Stramash says there was no problem. but they have a well rehearsed drill for when complaints happen. I would have thought that shouldn't need to have 4 levels -if it is louder after 10pm (which I always thought was the law) than the law states it shouldn't require 4 complaints.

This is where I'm kinda confused. Nobody came over? but they had already progressed to level 4 which suggests someone came or complained 4 times at least. now the event was billed 8pm-1am so perhaps thats when the music did actually go off.

though why you'd wait until 4 complains I dont know. Way to go to wind people up. I am sure this is the venues choice not Stramash so nothing personal but for my 2 cents if I had to go tell my neighbor to STFU more than twice after 10pm then I'd cause some problems

:boxing: :director:
Fourkinnel
Expatriate
Tonga

Post by Fourkinnel »

I guess the local weddings and funerals are immune to any kind of noise infringements due to the sensitivity of what's occurring and old tradition. (although, did they have amps and big ass speakers all through the KR times or discovered and used soon after?)
It would be interesting to see how the 24 hour building construction places would respond if someone complains of noise or would it be $$$ involved to allow immunity also?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ For the most part, weddings and funerals tend to follow the 10 PM curfew.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic