Long Term Visa Questions

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Long Term Visa Questions

Post by Josh_76 »

Looking for solid advice or a good immigration lawyer.

After having visited the KOW since 2003 and getting serious from early 2014 on, I wish to relocate there next August. I will be 57 then. I don't have a Khmer partner nor fathered a Khmer citizen.

Initially, I wanted to apply for a retirement visa but have since discarded that idea and want to leave that option until I'm in my mid-60's, as once you go that route it could never be changed and any worldwide income from work would put you in violation.

There is also a possibility that the age limit may be have been raised by next year. Another point of concern is that the DOI is not following the Thai 'money in the bank and you're good to stay' option and may insist on a pension received from outside Cambodia month after month. I do have significant investments with two financial institutions in Cambodia that produce plenty of interest to live on very comfortably but I will never receive a pension from my home country or any other. I would find it very weird that they would insist on a method that brings in no tax revenue over one that does but anything is possible, as we know, and if they ever did, I'd be toast, which is a position I'd really not like to find myself in.

So, what options do I have left?

* Someone suggested being a long term volunteer. Is it really possible to get a B-class visa that way when you are not a highly specialized NGO'er?
* I could try to find a job of course during the 6 month EG visa but as my intended place of residence is Kampot, where I'm friends with a local family and where my (rented out) house is, I doubt there would be a lot of options. I really don't want to live in PP.
* I could ask my local friend & business partner to hire me but I'd hate to have to ask for such a big favor.
* I could open a business, I guess.

Thanks.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Long Term Visa Questions

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Josh_76 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 pm

* Someone suggested being a long term volunteer. Is it really possible to get a B-class visa that way when you are not a highly specialized NGO'er?

No chance.

The B-type visa is now limited to certain Organisations, the UN being one.

Employees with a registered INGO that have a MoI with the MoFAIC are now on C-type Visas.

* I could try to find a job of course during the 6 month EG visa but as my intended place of residence is Kampot, where I'm friends with a local family and where my (rented out) house is, I doubt there would be a lot of options. I really don't want to live in PP.

* I could ask my local friend & business partner to hire me but I'd hate to have to ask for such a big favor.

This would involve them applying for a Foreign Employee Quota for you, and having to pay tax on your "salary". Doable, but a hindrance for them, maybe you could offer to pay your own tax.

You'd just be throwing money away.

Thanks.
What is actually stopping you from getting the ER (Retirement) EOS if you don't plan on working? Your worldwide income will not put you in violation, as long as you are not working and receiving an income in Cambodia.

Currently you are eligible to obtain without the need to provide any supporting documentation.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:48 pm
Josh_76 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:09 pm

No chance.

The B-type visa is now limited to certain Organisations, the UN being one.

Employees with a registered INGO that have a MoI with the MoFAIC are now on C-type Visas.

This would involve them applying for a Foreign Employee Quota for you, and having to pay tax on your "salary". Doable, but a hindrance for them, maybe you could offer to pay your own tax.

You'd just be throwing money away.

Thanks.
What is actually stopping you from getting the ER (Retirement) EOS if you don't plan on working? Your worldwide income will not put you in violation, as long as you are not working and receiving an income in Cambodia.

Currently you are eligible to obtain without the need to provide any supporting documentation.
Just renewed mine,,,,,, No docs if you are over 60
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

55+ No supporting documentation required.
Josh_76
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Josh_76 »

Like I wrote, I won't arrive before August of next year. I have to factor in that retirement eligibility rules might change.

An old timer who works for an NGO had suggested volunteering to me but when I looked I also arrived at the "no chance for a B-class visa" conclusion.

I did consider paying the tax incurred to the business - how much could it be on a low salary after all - so that one remains a possibility, however not a preferred one.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

I am sorry but I feel so weird that some people even think about strategy to stay in Cambodia when it's so easy to stay here without thinking. Even working without work permit or tourist visa. So just relax, it's not USA or shit EU !
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Josh_76 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:02 pm Like I wrote, I won't arrive before August of next year. I have to factor in that retirement eligibility rules might change.
Lol. Cambodia is in a state of flux, so even more unpredictable than usual. Even the fortune-tellers can't tell you what the situation in Cambodia will be more than a year from now. Many things could have changed by then. Your Khmer friends may have sold their farm to the Chinese, foreign NGOs may have visa problems etc.
I would wait a bit before planning what sort of visa you will need or be qualified for. The visa situation is constantly evolving.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Was just going to same the same as ^^^

August next year is 14 months away. The visa rules could change umpteen times between now and then.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:46 pm Lol. Cambodia is in a state of flux, so even more unpredictable than usual.
There's a market opportunity here.

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

[/img]
Username Taken wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:51 pm
August next year is 14 months away.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic