Web Design: Cambodia, a growing market

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Web Design: Cambodia, a growing market

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

My second stop in this journey of meeting different digital realities brought me to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, where I met Yohan, a French expat and co-founder of one of the most brilliant agencies in the country: Quantum Endorphine Digital.

His story is fascinating and we had a long conversation about his views on the digital culture in Cambodia. He invited me to visit his offices in the centre of the city and I was surprised to see how multicultural his team was: 30 people, most of them from different countries. Yohan is the CCO and Associate here, and has worked in the creative industry in France, South America and Australia.

We started our conversation talking about the local market. Yohan told me that things have gradually evolved in Cambodia, he told me: "The market remains small compared to other countries, but more international brands want to be present in the country through digital and there is a strong demand for high quality content".

Cambodia has reduced poverty levels by half in just a decade, so as such the smartphone is an encouraging symbol of modernization, rapidly becoming a necessary tool of modern life. Mobile penetration is almost 100% so the digital industry in Cambodia has a bright and exciting future, as Yohan confirms. With the initiatives from the National Institute of Posts, Telecommunications and ICT (such as the construction of the ICT Innovation Center of Cambodia), more and more events focused on tech are connecting people and bringing innovation and the latest technology from Silicon Valley to Cambodians. A positive factor that will result in the growing development and solid establishment of the digital industry in the next years.

We continued our conversation by talking about their design process and the relationship with their clients. Their position was clear: every project has to go straight to the point and communicate the message clearly. Excessive adornments and frills are considered futile. Another big part of the process is about educating their clients to the digital approach: innovation and development are affecting their needs, but a big effort is made to address them in the right way.

Yohan tells me: "We live in an environment that is incrementally becoming more competitive and in order to stand out, brands in Cambodia must constantly provide content that is engaging, innovative and useful for consumers." It's important - he continues - "to have an intuitive process in the design that one creates while taking into account the specificities of the local market."

I asked him to tell me more about the digital community in Cambodia. My perception, after our first chat, is that it is a bit scattered, and Yohan told me that is a mix of expats and local people. Anyway, due to its peculiar blend of cultures, it's an opportunity for a curious designer to connect and exchange ideas with other designers from everywhere in the world. Actually, mixing cultures and techniques seems to be a perfect examples of the typical local design style. Yohan recommend Cambodian street artists such as Chifumi or Peap Tar or the artist Em Riem (who studied at the School of Beaux Arts of St.Etienne) as they have perfectly adapted local techniques with their cultural heritage.

To summarize, I believe that this country definitely has a booming market, with a lot of opportunities for anyone willing to explore unbeaten paths. My perception is that the locals together with expats from different parts of the world are building a flourishing environment. And big companies are starting to understand this. I'm expecting to see big things coming from this amazing country in the next few years.

Quantum Endorphine Digital is actually taking an active role in the process of interconnecting people by regularly setting up internal workshops and curating their own online media "Geeks in Cambodia": a local e-magazine that shares tech and startup news and info.

Yohan added: "I think that workshops give us the platform to exchange ideas, learn from each other's practices and be inspired by the work we do in different places for different projects. It would be a great way to get inspired by others - outside the country - and share the beauty of Cambodia as well."

https://www.awwwards.com/the-wandering- ... arket.html
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Web Design: Cambodia, a growing market

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Looks like the type of dude who wouldnt have lasted a minute in the old cambodia.....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Having a nice website in Cambodia is one thing, but making money with it is quite another issue....
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:51 pm Looks like the type of dude who wouldnt have lasted a minute in the old cambodia.....
The type I call a KKK*.

* KKK Krama Klad K*nt
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

No offence, but it's a bit like asking a real estate agent or business developer what the future holds for investment.

Only an honest man or a fool would tell you it's saturated or a poor outlook.

Know too many guys who couldn't make money from it here, way too many locals who would do it for less than half the price, and too many customers who don't mind mutton dressed up as cyber-lamb
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:40 pm
Beerinthemorning wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:51 pm Looks like the type of dude who wouldnt have lasted a minute in the old cambodia.....
The type I call a KKK*.

* KKK Krama Klad K*nt
Hahahaha
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

that genius wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm Know too many guys who couldn't make money from it here, way too many locals who would do it for less than half the price, and too many customers who don't mind mutton dressed up as cyber-lamb
Why compete with the locals?
When working online, the world is your market.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

yeah and hows your website going?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

bangkokhooker wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 pm yeah and hows your website going?
It's coming along just fine. Thanks for your interest.

Hardly relevant to this thread as I don't design websites for a living.

:beer3:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

A mate of mine does web development here but he pimps all his contracts from elsewhere. I can't see you getting money for being good here, most sites are just templates, can't see the cambodian iplayer turning up soon
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic