Renewing a UK passport in Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Renewing a UK passport in Cambodia

Post by mcam »

I've just emailed to make an appointment to renew my passport and wondered if anyone had done this recently. I've understand I need a colour photocopy of every page, 2 photos and my current passport. What have people provided as proof of address? I have a rental agreement in English is that enough?
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Renewing a UK passport in Cambodia

Post by jimpson »

I did this recently at VFS in Phnom Penh tower.

Apart from a full colour copy of every page (including blank pages) of your passport and your pictures the residency question was covered by a copy of my signed rental agrement in English.

I took the original signed rental agreement and a copy for them to keep after they had compared it with the original.

They let you keep your passport however you are NOT allowed to travel with it.
Once your new passport arrives you go back to their office with the old passport and your receipt for the application for the new passport.
They cut the corner off the old passport and return it to you.

N.B. make sure the application form is completed in BLACK ink!
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

How long did it take to receive the new one?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I just renewed my Australian one (via AU Embassy).

If you need passport photos taken, I recommend Kim Long Photo Digital on Sihanouk Blvd just near the corner of St 51. They know the specs for the various passports and do a nice job (well, having said that, they printed mine on matt not glossy but the embassy accepted it without comment, but maybe check online if glossy is required for UK passports and mention it if so).
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

Further to the request as to how long it took to get the new passport I was delighted to find that it only took just over a week although I was told at the time of applying that it could take 3 to 4 weeks.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

jimpson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am I did this recently at VFS in Phnom Penh tower.

Apart from a full colour copy of every page (including blank pages) of your passport and your pictures the residency question was covered by a copy of my signed rental agrement in English.

I took the original signed rental agreement and a copy for them to keep after they had compared it with the original.

They let you keep your passport however you are NOT allowed to travel with it.
Once your new passport arrives you go back to their office with the old passport and your receipt for the application for the new passport.
They cut the corner off the old passport and return it to you.

N.B. make sure the application form is completed in BLACK ink!
Do you have to do this for the new passport to show that your address is in Cambodia! Because there is no previous or no present ongoing address in the UK.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

No I actually think that the reason for the Cambodian address is for the return on the passport from UK.
In other parts of the planet the passport would be sent back to you by DHL to your overseas address.

In Cambodia the system is that the passport goes back to VHS who inform you by phone or SMS that it available to pick up.
I got the impression that the Cambodian address information was irrelevant to the VHS Office here in Cambodia.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

jimpson wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:00 pm No I actually think that the reason for the Cambodian address is for the return on the passport from UK.
In other parts of the planet the passport would be sent back to you by DHL to your overseas address.

In Cambodia the system is that the passport goes back to VHS who inform you by phone or SMS that it available to pick up.
I got the impression that the Cambodian address information was irrelevant to the VHS Office here in Cambodia.
So when writing the passport application form, you have not used the Cambodian address, has your address of residency?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

AndyKK,

The point of the matter is that since I was in Cambodia and applying for a new passport in Cambodia via the VHS service I gave my Cambodian Address as my address of temporary residence. I also still have a UK address but there would have been no point in using that address to have my passport returned. I would have ended up stranded in Cambodia with no usable passport as I was banned from using my old passport as soon as I applied for a new one.
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I must get a new UK passport. Far better to travel with than the Australian one. We get no respect.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic