riots now in vietnam

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: riots now in vietnam

Post by hanno »

dron wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:25 am
dron wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:24 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 pm Viets can tell the difference between Taiwanese and mainlanders.
:facepalm:

Just 14 factories targeted in Vietnam's anti-China protests belonged to mainland Chinese

Of 351 plants damaged in one province, just 14 are mainland Chinese-owned, official report says

Only a tiny fraction of the factories looted and damaged in the violent anti-China protests in Vietnam last week were owned by mainland Chinese enterprises, according to an internal Vietnamese official survey seen by the South China Morning Post.

Taiwanese businesses bore the brunt of the two-day frenzy of arson, vandalism and theft as initially peaceful protests triggered by Beijing's move to drill oil in disputed waters off the Paracel Islands ran out of control.

http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/article/1 ... nese-owned
You need to get your facts straight. The protests started the past weekend THIS YEAR. All your links and quotes above are from 4 years ago. Viets don't want the Chinese to slink into the SAEZs. Read the protest signs, many in English. They specifically say "no Chinese" "not even 1 year" in these three new proposed SAEZs. News reports specifically say the protests were aimed at the Chinese. The Formosa protests are so yesteryear.
LOL dude yes that was 2014. What gave it away? The dateline in the article? LOL

My point was to respond to you saying "the viets know the difference between Mainlanders and Formosa [sic]". In the midst of a popular uprising they historically don't know and don't care. In the last anti Chinese uprising most of the buildings and people attacked were not from the PRC but Taiwan! No reason to think it would be any different now or in the future.

So far no reports of attacks on Chinese this time around, but that might only be because they've been staying indoors or fleeing the country. That plus this time around protests were more aimed at the Vietnamese government than Chinese people and businesses, which really says something. One reason is probably because a controversial internet spying law is set to go in effect at the exact same time as they were planning on passing the SEZ law: https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/ ... e-freedom/
I did not at anytime say there were no protests. I questioned what was stated as a fact by boluleeh that there were widespread riots and that ALL foreignes had to run for their lives. There were protests in Da Nang, confined to a small area, where I have been since the weekend. There were protests all over Vietnam, that is true as well. However, there are no large-scale riots, foreigners have nothing to fear, and business as of this moment (I am having a beer in Hoi An as I type these) is going on as usual. The government has already conceded that they will look at those concessions again. I to the boluleeh’s fear-mongering, someone well known for having his own axe to grind. Unlike boluleehI am in Vietnam, have lots of Vietnamese friends and am pretty sure that there is no civil war going on.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

I am in HCMC....while there were indeed some protests and scuffles yesterday, they hardly rose to the level of "riots." And if one avoided Nguyen Hue and Nguyen Van Troi, one would like not even be aware that anything was happening. Can't speak to what happened in the rest of the country, but in HCMC, there certainly were no riots.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i do not have an axe to grind and i do not resort to name calling, for the sake the masses please define 'widespread' and 'riots' to your definitions, thanks :hattip:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

bolueeleh wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:26 pm i do not have an axe to grind and i do not resort to name calling, for the sake the masses please define 'widespread' and 'riots' to your definitions, thanks :hattip:
bolueeleh wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:26 pmbig riots erupting all over vietnam right now, people are attacking police stations, lots of video uploaded, hopefully not turn into 2014 riot in binh duong again, anyone in vietnam should stays indoor, these fuckers gets into heat of moment and attacks anyone not vietnamese

btw, wonder if KoW had these riots would the chinese invasion hv succeeded?

You don't have an axe to grind yet you have posted obviously false information? You were being a drama-queen about some isolated incidents. Do you not even realize the implications of what you are saying?
You are another good reason why all foreign residents here should be vetted, too many are just troublemakers.
Deport the rest en masse, there is nothing to gain by keeping them.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

nearly a million ethnic Chinese were killed in Indonesia under the guise of purging communism in the 1960's.
you also have the bumiputera laws in Malaysia that highly disadvantage ethnic Chinese.

this prejudice and hatred undoubtedly stems from jealousy by the majority population over the preeminence in the world of business by ethnic Chinese, which is due to their superior intelligence, education, and work ethic.

i generally like overseas Chinese very well - it is the PRC citizens and more particularly their government that i find objectionable
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

"...there is nothing to gain by keeping them." Interesting remark there, JB. Seems I've heard that one somewhere before. :chin: What were you doing from '75-'79, exactly? (squints eyes)
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

i was wrong, the riot police surrendered at fire station not the police station :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44436019

can we see some protests in chinkville as well? wld like to see some po po lay down their rusty AKs in sangkat 3 or 4 :mob:
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 am i was wrong, the riot police surrendered at fire station not the police station :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44436019

can we see some protests in chinkville as well? wld like to see some po po lay down their rusty AKs in sangkat 3 or 4 :mob:
SHV Khmer landowners would quickly side up with the Chinese and even probably be happy to pay good money to whomever can call in PP riot police.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Ongoing protests in Phan Thiet, passed there yesterday. No animosity towards foreigners, just against police and government.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

hanno wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 am Ongoing protests in Phan Thiet, passed there yesterday. No animosity towards foreigners, just against police and government.
love phan tiet and mui ne, close enough to HCM but laid back enough, hope they dont burn up too much stuffs there, stay safe :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic