Minimum Wage Law for Cambodia's Factory Workers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Minimum Wage Law for Cambodia's Factory Workers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

June 8, 2018
Parliament passes minimum wage law
The National Assembly yesterday adopted a draft minimum wage law, which aims to promote decent living standards for the country’s 780,000 textile workers.

More than 100 lawmakers passed the draft law with 33 articles which will benefit workers and the nation as a whole as it intends to promote a decent living, create job opportunities, increase worker productivity and push for increased investment opportunities.

Labour Minister Ith Samheng said during the session that the government has always paid attention to garment workers, noting the minimum wage rose from $40 in 1997 to $170 per month in 2018.

“Strengthening mechanisms to increase the minimum wage is really important and it responds to the economic situation,” Mr Samheng said. “We have increased the minimum wage and provided other benefits to garment workers 14 times.”

Mr Samheng said that the draft law covered the industrial sector, including garment and footwear factories employing 780,000 workers.

Mr Samheng said that the draft law took more than two years to be finalised. The Council of Ministers approved it on May 25, while the National Assembly’s legislation committee discussed it on May 31.
Mr Samheng added that garment workers are provided with health services and insurance that covers occupational accidents, traffic accidents and fainting.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50498654/p ... -wage-law/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Minimum Wage Law for Cambodia's Factory Workers

Post by Duncan »

Labour Minister Ith Samheng said during the session that the government has always paid attention to garment workers, noting the minimum wage rose from $40 in 1997 to $170 per month in 2018.

I still see lots of signs outside of businesses advertising jobs at below $170 a month.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Duncan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 pm Labour Minister Ith Samheng said during the session that the government has always paid attention to garment workers, noting the minimum wage rose from $40 in 1997 to $170 per month in 2018.

I still see lots of signs outside of businesses advertising jobs at below $170 a month.
Too bad the costs of living rose probably more than the wages.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Duncan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 pm Labour Minister Ith Samheng said during the session that the government has always paid attention to garment workers, noting the minimum wage rose from $40 in 1997 to $170 per month in 2018.

The minimum wage is only mandatory for the garment industry. It's a defacto standard for other industries, but not mandatory. On Phnom Penh Jobs Alert we typically don't approve posts that advertise at less than $150 f/t.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:07 pm 780,000
Yeah, you better believe it.

I'd like to see compulsory English training in every factory, 1 hour, three times a week plus technical training.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia PM warns on "unreasonable" wage hike
3 September 2018
- Addressing garment workers in a speech in the country's capital Phnom Penh last week, the premier warned of the impacts to increasing the minimum wage, saying employers would not continue to stay in the country if it continued to increase.

"Employers won't stay if the price of labour is expensive. There's no way they could endure to stay if the minimum wage continues to increase. Be reasonable for your employers because if they go bankrupt, they will move to another location," he reportedly told those assembled.

Clothing and textile worker unions and employers accepted a minimum wage of US$170 for 2018 in January, with the review system used by the industry now being enshrined in the law.

Cambodia's Labour Ministry and relevant parties started talks on the minimum wage for 2019 earlier this month, according to a report published by the Khmer Times.

"All parties have to use social criteria such as family status, inflation rates, living expenses and economic criteria" when determining what the new wage should be," the publication quoted a ministry announcement as saying.

"The economic criteria includes productivity, the country's competitiveness, labour market conditions, profit margins and the poverty level," it added.
https://www.just-style.com/news/cambodi ... 34382.aspx
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
console
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by console »

I am talking to 4 girls now they get less then 150$ a month for working, 2 of them get 130$....
I told them that was illegal they laughed at me, thoughts ???
Freelance coder / web developer. I make REAL web applications.
c#, NodeJS, Python... Contact ME !! I work for 50c beers !!!
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I think it depends.

A 5% increase is good for garment workers basic. Bear in mind that's just the pleb rate. Anybody who has skills and drive will make double that easily, often five or six times.

A young niece of my other half was earning $250 per month in a suki soup spot, before tips.

She quit to work in a shitty red box shop for $75 a month plus three meals a day which was closer to home, but longer hours. But she can sit on her fattening ass and squeeze her spots while taking selfies on the iphone.

The going rate for manual labour (8hrs) in the province is still $5. That's infinitely harder than working in a rag shop for less money.

Most Khmer I have worked with over the past number of years are making between $400-$4000 per month, and not part of the elite, or even staunchly middle class. Just hard working and smart.

You get what you deserve in life.
console
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by console »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm
Most Khmer I have worked with over the past number of years are making between $400-$4000 per month, and not part of the elite, or even staunchly middle class. Just hard working and smart.
that is complete bullshit, every bar and every restaurant pays 151$ a month thats it, then you get tips and maybe lady drinks. the PM gets a salary of 2500$ a month, so this 4000$ a month your talking about is utter bullshit.
Freelance coder / web developer. I make REAL web applications.
c#, NodeJS, Python... Contact ME !! I work for 50c beers !!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic