Minimum Wage Law for Cambodia's Factory Workers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Minimum Wage Law for Cambodia's Factory Workers

Post by Barang chgout »

Kammekor wrote:
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm I think it depends.

A 5% increase is good for garment workers basic. Bear in mind that's just the pleb rate. Anybody who has skills and drive will make double that easily, often five or six times.

A young niece of my other half was earning $250 per month in a suki soup spot, before tips.

She quit to work in a shitty red box shop for $75 a month plus three meals a day which was closer to home, but longer hours. But she can sit on her fattening ass and squeeze her spots while taking selfies on the iphone.

The going rate for manual labour (8hrs) in the province is still $5. That's infinitely harder than working in a rag shop for less money.

Most Khmer I have worked with over the past number of years are making between $400-$4000 per month, and not part of the elite, or even staunchly middle class. Just hard working and smart.

You get what you deserve in life.
You're living in the past when it comes to unskilled labor. The going rate for unskilled people working your farm, or working on your construction site is 25 to 30k per day these days, my Khmer 'coffee buddies' just complained about the rates going up all the time a few days ago. The 20k per day is still possible but women and elderly only.

You consider a Cambodian earning 4000USD a month 'not even staunchly middle class'? Really? Makes me wonder what sector / level you and your Khmer co-workers work in.
$150/ month out here.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian Workers’ Minimum Wage Increases to $182 in 2019
05/10/18 20:21
Phnom Penh (FN), Oct. 5 – Cambodian workers’ minimum wage has increased from $170 in 2018 to $182 in 2019, according to the press release of Cambodian Ministry of Labor dated on Friday.

The decision was made following the trilateral meeting among government, factory owners, and workers held on Friday.

In the meeting, owners and workers have agreed upon $177; with an additional $5 from the government, the total wage added up to $182.

The press release adding that the new wage will be effective from the first of January 2019.
http://en.freshnewsasia.com/index.php/e ... 35-51.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

So does this mean that the government pays all workers $5 per month on top of wages or that they decided to add that cost to employers ?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

From what I understand, it means Cambodia is becoming un- cooperative in their main industry

Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Competative

Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

With wages rising and other costs added to the factories, canteens, health facilities etc, they are being made un competitive compared to other countries. When they continue to close and move away the blame will be attributed to the EU sanctions and the Western nations interference to absolve the competent authorities of any blame and look to their new BFF to save the day.
thoughts?
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

What would happen in the U.S. removed its eba deal too?
China doesn't need cheap labour.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Enthusiasm ‘low’ over new wage
16 October 2018
Garment and footwear industry workers continue to struggle following the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training’s October 5 announcement of a $182 minimum wage for the industry next year.

The ministry said the Labour Advisory Committee – a tripartite body consisting of representatives from the ministry, trade unions and employer associations – voted for a new wage of between $177 and $182, with 26 of the 28 votes voting for $177. Prime Minister HE added $5 to the figure.

Kheum Nourn, 49, a six-year veteran at a shoe factory in Kampong Speu, which is owned by Taiwanese company Complete Honour Footwear Industrial (Cambodia) Co Ltd expressed little enthusiasm about the new minimum wage. She said she expected more.

“We were about to leave the factory for home – then I checked my Facebook and saw a $182 minimum wage set for next year. I am a little excited but not too much. It is just a $12 increase, which isn’t much."

“Workers like me always want more, we want like a $15 or $20 increase – I have no spare money because I need to pay for my three children’s school, bank loans and our food because my husband does not have a regular income. But what can we do? This is something [only] the government can help with,” said Nourn.

Nourn said she had been working in factories since 1999 and currently earns between $245 and $250 monthly with overtime. She said working conditions are getting harsher.

“Now at our workplace, it is very harsh and [the management is] very strict with us. If today they ask us to produce 500 pairs of footwear, tomorrow they want 550 or 600” she said.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... r-new-wage
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

If you increase wages you increase costs. You never really get ahead and those without work suffer more.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Arget wrote:.. look to their new BFF to save the day.
thoughts?
Just look to Sihanoukville to see how well their BFF will save them. It’s a clue to the future.

Those with the connections will prosper.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic