Minimum Wage Law for Cambodia's Factory Workers

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Minimum Wage Law for Cambodia's Factory Workers

Post by Duncan »

StroppyChops wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 pm
Duncan wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 pm Labour Minister Ith Samheng said during the session that the government has always paid attention to garment workers, noting the minimum wage rose from $40 in 1997 to $170 per month in 2018.

I still see lots of signs outside of businesses advertising jobs at below $170 a month.
The minimum wage is only mandatory for the garment industry. It's a defacto standard for other industries, but not mandatory. On Phnom Penh Jobs Alert we typically don't approve posts that advertise at less than $150 f/t.

$370 ain't to bad for a unqualified garment factory worker, but I think that is for working heaps of overtime.

Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I think the reason only the garment industry has a mandatory minimum wage is to encourage people to gravitate towards it.
Beerinthemorning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Beerinthemorning »

thats a low minimum wage.

i make it somwhere beetween smoko and brunch .
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

console wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:14 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm
Most Khmer I have worked with over the past number of years are making between $400-$4000 per month, and not part of the elite, or even staunchly middle class. Just hard working and smart.
that is complete bullshit, every bar and every restaurant pays 151$ a month thats it, then you get tips and maybe lady drinks. the PM gets a salary of 2500$ a month, so this 4000$ a month your talking about is utter bullshit.
Not all Khmers work in bars, you know. You need to get out more.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

console wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:14 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm
Most Khmer I have worked with over the past number of years are making between $400-$4000 per month, and not part of the elite, or even staunchly middle class. Just hard working and smart.
that is complete bullshit, every bar and every restaurant pays 151$ a month thats it, then you get tips and maybe lady drinks. the PM gets a salary of 2500$ a month, so this 4000$ a month your talking about is utter bullshit.
Well, I don't work in the bar trade.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Beerinthemorning wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:44 pm thats a low minimum wage.

i make it somwhere beetween smoko and brunch .
And you're asking about 200 baht/day? Seriously?

Man up or piss orff.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

console wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:44 pm I am talking to 4 girls now they get less then 150$ a month for working, 2 of them get 130$....
I told them that was illegal they laughed at me, thoughts ???
We are talking about wages for garment factory workers, so nothing to do with "average" pay in Cambodia. There is no illegal wage as such. Some people I know earn - and get by on - $50-100 a month. But they will get food and accommodation and other perks provided. ( None of them work in bars in Phnom Penh btw. ) Most of them work with, or live with, members of their family. They have a support system in their home province, and prefer to stay close to family and earn less money.

I know a girl who came to work in a factory in Phnom Penh from the countryside, but she was so homesick that she went back to her village after two months. She is probably earning about $100-120 pm there, instead of $170+ for working in a garment factory in PP, but she lives with her husband, her baby, and her extended family now, and couldn't be happier. You can't overestimate the importance of family for most Cambodians.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

September 7, 2018
CLC proposes $211 as minimum wage
The Cambodian Labour Confederation yesterday said that it will propose $211.94 to be the new minimum wage for garment workers during this month’s negotiations.

CLC made the announcement after a meeting between various unions which touched upon criteria that included cost of living, inflation, productivity, competitiveness and profitability.

CLC president Ath Thorn said after the meeting that the proposed figure will be presented to stakeholders during labour negotiations on Monday, noting most who attended the meeting were satisfied with the figure.

“Workers and unions are pleased to follow up and keep an eye on this process,” he said.

National Trade Union Coalition president Far Saly said yesterday that $211.94 is a reasonable figure to put forth during negotiations, noting that the figure leaves a lot of room for compromise.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50531460/c ... imum-wage/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:33 pm I think it depends.

A 5% increase is good for garment workers basic. Bear in mind that's just the pleb rate. Anybody who has skills and drive will make double that easily, often five or six times.

A young niece of my other half was earning $250 per month in a suki soup spot, before tips.

She quit to work in a shitty red box shop for $75 a month plus three meals a day which was closer to home, but longer hours. But she can sit on her fattening ass and squeeze her spots while taking selfies on the iphone.

The going rate for manual labour (8hrs) in the province is still $5. That's infinitely harder than working in a rag shop for less money.

You get what you deserve in life.
You're living in the past when it comes to unskilled labor. The going rate for unskilled people working your farm, or working on your construction site is 25 to 30k per day these days, my Khmer 'coffee buddies' just complained about the rates going up all the time a few days ago. The 20k per day is still possible but women and elderly only.

You consider a Cambodian earning 4000USD a month 'not even staunchly middle class'? Really? Makes me wonder what sector / level you and your Khmer co-workers work in.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Negotiations continue with discussions on the projected minimum wage increase for garment and textile workers.
September 19, 2018
Proposed minimum wage figures adjusted
During yesterday’s meeting on the minimum wage, employers, unions and the government adjusted their proposed figures to $176, $189 and $177, respectively.

Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour said yesterday that employers agreed to increase their minimum wage proposal from $175 to $176, while unions agreed to further decrease their proposed figure from $192 to $189.

The current minimum wage for garment, textile and footwear workers is set at $170.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50534274/p ... -adjusted/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic