School Teacher dies in gas explosion at Don Bosco Technical School in Sihanoukville, 7 Injured

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

School Teacher dies in gas explosion at Don Bosco Technical School in Sihanoukville, 7 Injured

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sihanoukville: On June 7 at 1:40 pm, there was a gas explosion at Don Bosco Technical School in Sankat 4 in Sihanoukville. A 35 year old Cambodian man, Seng Sarath, who was a teacher at the school, died in the accident, and 7 people were seriously injured.
Spoiler:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: School Teacher dies in gas explosion at Don Bosco Technical School in Sihanoukville, 7 Injured

Post by dron »

Sad. Second time minors are injured in gas explosion in a few weeks. Another poor girl died at the Nepalese owned "Indian restaurant" in Phnom Penh. What do you expect here where there is even less safety education than safety measures?
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: School Teacher dies in gas explosion at Don Bosco Technical School in Sihanoukville, 7 Injured

Post by Cam Nivag »

I guess this was from one of those dodgy gas cooking bottles? Those things scare the crap out of me.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Or more likely with the size of the explosion a cooking gas container, large and reused continuously for years on end without ever being checked or fixed up. They just use them until they can't use them anymore because they don't know any better and there are no safety regulations or enforcement. You know, like America in the year 1778.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Don Bosco has released a statement:

SIHANOUKVILLE, Cambodia -- A powerful explosion took the life of Teacher Sarat Seng, Manager of the Mechanic Department of Don Bosco Technical School at about 13:10 local time. Three other persons (2 students and a teacher) were brought to the hospital according to last updates. One student lost his right hand. It seems to be a gas explosion triggered by a lighting that stroke gas cylinders at the...

http://www.bosco.link/index.php?mid=My_ ... _srl=37855

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
DrDisFunkShunAll
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DrDisFunkShunAll »

This is tragic.

A real, international vocational school for the self-sustaining trades, and a teacher suffers in the line of duty.

I've seen these schools all over, and they do well for themselves.

Their Italian gelato and expresso cafés were a blast when dirt roads ruled and potholes pockmarked your life. No sign of Starbucks or Blue Pumpkin.

Prayers all night to all dangerous professions, including teaching in Cambodia.
Yes, the Doctor is IN — Doctor DisFunkShunAll!

:fool: :good: =@ :P
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

This is the school i attended a few years ago when i was studying Khmer :sorry:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

and yet the fucking school dean is demanding tea money for enrollment :angry:
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bangkokhooker »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 pm This is the school i attended a few years ago when i was studying Khmer :sorry:
so you knew the teacher?
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

Cam Nivag wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:53 pm I guess this was from one of those dodgy gas cooking bottles? Those things scare the crap out of me.

Day time picture, no dodgy GSM girl involved are enough for you to get derailed GM? Disappointing...
As I am sure you are aware DB is a thechnical school, the explosion site clearly looks like a workshop with extensive damage to me so I rather assume a case of welding or plasma cutter gaz tank explosion. The dodgy little gaz cooking bottles that scare you will just take your hand or face off not a roof...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic