Extracurricular Activity Costs

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Extracurricular Activity Costs

Post by AmericanSteve »

My slut 2nd ex-wife wants $400 for summer ECA and it turns out, she might be on legally sound ground.
See how fucked up America is? This why I don't live that shit-hole.

My mediation agreement says we split the cost of ECAs and they cannot be "unreasonably denied." So I said I can't afford, which I think is a reasonable grounds for saying no. But according to a lawyer on Avvo:
But you made your life decisions *after* being ordered a certain amount of CS and ECA cost share. Sorry, you cannot claim you can't afford it. You just made bad decisions. The court can't protect you from yourself.
First of all this lawyer sounds like an idiot, not surprising as he is from Indiana .but his tone is confrontational
Second of all, why I can't I claim I can't afford it? There was no mention of costs of ECAs in the mediation agreement.

Any lawyers with a clue?
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
bangkokhooker
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Extracurricular Activity Costs

Post by bangkokhooker »

wow
both your wives had a lucky escape!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AmericanSteve wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm My slut 2nd ex-wife wants $400 for summer ECA and it turns out, she might be on legally sound ground.
See how fucked up America is? This why I don't live that shit-hole.

My mediation agreement says we split the cost of ECAs and they cannot be "unreasonably denied." So I said I can't afford, which I think is a reasonable grounds for saying no. But according to a lawyer on Avvo:
But you made your life decisions *after* being ordered a certain amount of CS and ECA cost share. Sorry, you cannot claim you can't afford it. You just made bad decisions. The court can't protect you from yourself.
First of all this lawyer sounds like an idiot, not surprising as he is from Indiana .but his tone is confrontational
Second of all, why I can't I claim I can't afford it? There was no mention of costs of ECAs in the mediation agreement.

Any lawyers with a clue?

Sorry I;m not a lawyer [ or American ]
but can you claim for ECAs and make her pay half .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AmericanSteve
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by AmericanSteve »

She does pay half but I'm getting hammered on child support so I just don't have $400 laying around.
To gladly teach and gladly learn.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

You need to return to the state where the mediation was hammered out and get a lawyer. The only way out is either a revised mediation settlement or a judge (court order) deciding that the ESA is too much of a burden on you.

If you do nothing the worst case scenario may be that a judge finds you guilty of violating mediation and decides to garnish, take away your passport (flight risk), or issue a warrant.

Of course it also depends on how petty and vindictive your 2nd ex is.

Sorry for your problems.

Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
zmth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by zmth »

AmericanSteve wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm ...
See how fucked up America is? ...

Any lawyers with a clue?
[/quote]

Not a lawyer myself either but if u want to know how much more fucked up usa is just look at the ' legalized extortion ' that continuously goes on by lawyers via judges who most also used to be lawyers as did most all of congress etc. who make the laws. As i have witnessed personally and so have others, if u go to court and u don't have a lawyer and the other party does just about for sure u are going to lose no matter what even if u file and write and say the same as the would a lawyer. In my case the judge even stated that to the opposing party in those exact words.
NO different than the Mafia to whom businesses etc. used to have to pay protection money except here it's legalized.
And the lawyers and judges continue to make laws to increase their necessity by the general public for anything and everything. Few if any countries have more lawyers making more per capita and also frivilous lawsuits than USA though most every country suffers from this dilemma to some extent.
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

$400 would cover maybe 1 day of summer camp in the Chicago 'burbs. Seems like $400 for the whole summer of ECA is way too low. Chicago can't be that much more expensive than Indiana.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Navel gazing about the injustices of the legal system is just like moaning about tea money to the Khmer cops - won’t help the OP’s immediate problem. Just like losing a job and being unable to make child support payments, he needs to file into court and have a judge rule.

Maybe the OP could go to legal aid and self file and self represent?

At $100-$600/hr for a lawyer it seems unlikely that the 2nd Ex would hire legal representation to oppose for $400. Unless she really want to nail his chicken and eggs to the wall.

Unless the judge is a man hating social justice warrior, if the OP really doesn’t have the funds to afford the ESA due to changed circumstances, the judge should see that it’s impossible to get blood from a stone.

Of course if he has extensive assets still in the states that’s easily discoverable, then his goose is cooked.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

meh
justice-
just us
what a rank noob kid
rube
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic