Help for DNA for citizenship

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Help for DNA for citizenship

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I have been trying to get New Zealand citizenship for my daughter. We may not return to NZ straight a way but if at some time in the future if she wanted to get out, she could. She was born at the Japanese hospital and at the time asked me to sign some paperwork. Later when the birth certificate was produced, it only had her mother's name on it. I sent all the documents away to get it processed. At first, it all looked good. Then they started fretting about small things like my name being missing. I offered to provide DNA and they are happy with that. The problem is all my daughter's documents are in New Zealand. I'm not sure of the procedure of getting it done. There is no embassy here to provide some guidance. If anyone has been thought this route please let me know where you went to get it done. It has to be 21 point match at least so the local labs may not be up to the job.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Help for DNA for citizenship

Post by phuketrichard »

there a few places in Bangkok that do dna search,
this site lists some
https://www.whatclinic.com/doctors/thai ... na-testing

might be worth a trip over there
this is one place a friend of mind used
https://www.dna-worldwide.com/clinic/ba ... dna-clinic
Nice ur dong the right thing by ur kid :thumb:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

I've thought about that and NZ has an embassy in Bangkok too. The problem is I can't take my daughter there without a passport for her. Unless I was to get a Cambodian passport for her first. I'm not sure of the drill on that one either. The mother isn't a great help.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:57 pm I've thought about that and NZ has an embassy in Bangkok too. The problem is I can't take my daughter there without a passport for her. Unless I was to get a Cambodian passport for her first. I'm not sure of the drill on that one either. The mother isn't a great help.
ok this applies to thailand, and it might be similar. To get a passport BOTH parents need be there if under 12, after 12 one parent can sign a notarized document giving permission to apply for a passport, UNLESS u have gone thru court and been given sole custody of ur daughter (what i had to do)

I'd contact a few places in Bangkok and ask them if they have a hospital they would deal with to do test and send it to bangkok to complete.
worth a try..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

I would look for an agency in NZ or one that will act for NZ citizens that does this...you will pay way more, but it will be done, and without the protocol hassles.

Post on NZ forums. Good luck.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

After talking to you guys and giving it some thought, I contacted a DNA lab in NZ. I hope to hear something tomorrow. I think, if I went to a decent hospital such as a Thai hospital in PP, and get them to take the samples then I can courier the samples to the NZ lab to have it tested and get the lab to send the results through to the Department of Internal Affairs. I have ID but she doesn't but I suppose it must be a common scenario.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Get your name on the kids official Cambodian Birth Certificate asap...that is the easiest way to get the NZ Citizenship by descent and passport...it will also give you parental rights in Cambodia, without your name on it you have none!

With regards to getting Cambodian passport, I have written a step by step guide on this forum, will find the link for you.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:57 pm I've thought about that and NZ has an embassy in Bangkok too. The problem is I can't take my daughter there without a passport for her. Unless I was to get a Cambodian passport for her first. I'm not sure of the drill on that one either. The mother isn't a great help.
newsworthy/updated-price-making-cambodi ... rt#p102454
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm Get your name on the kids official Cambodian Birth Certificate asap...that is the easiest way to get the NZ Citizenship by descent and passport...it will also give you parental rights in Cambodia, without your name on it you have none!
What exactly is parental rights in Cambodia?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

It means you're the legal parent, and have the rights as such according to the Law on Family.

There is a case (one of many no doubt) that iirc correctly was posted on this forum recently, about a Singaporean guy who claims the mother has taken their kid and won't let him see it, but what he doesn't mention is that he is not on the child's birth certificate, therefore the mother is the only legally recognised parent and he hasn't got a leg to stand on. He may never see his kid again unless he gets expert legal assistance, because the mother is not agreeing to allow the fathers name on the birth certificate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic