My girlfriend is paying 2000 riel/kwh for electricity, is this normal?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: My girlfriend is paying 2000 riel/kwh for electricity, is this normal?

Post by that genius »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:52 am I wouldn't call it a scam though.
It's illegal, according to EDC, so unless she lives in an area supplied by a registered sub-contractor, it's pretty much a scam. When we stayed on BKK Market the landlord tried to rip us off with the price and refused to show us the meter, we moved out and reported him to EDC.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

that genius wrote:... and reported him to EDC.
What happened to him?

Unless they tell you a different rate when you move in, or rig your meter like Heng was talking about, I see it as nothing but overcharging.

I consider a scam to have some sort of deception, but it sounds like everyone is being quoted the rate when they move in.

My $60 a month apartment tried to charge me an extra $10 or $20 a month when a girlfriend moved in. I pointed out that some places had a family of 4 living in them, and just refused.

A motorbike was stolen once, and they decided to lock the front gate at around 9pm, meaning you couldn't go in or out after that time. I flat out refused to accept that, and they agreed I could just call them to be let in and out at all hours. It only took 1 or 2 times to show up with some Pontoon Ting Tong at 3am before they let me have my own key, lol.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:48 am
angkorjohn wrote: She should mention that she is going to speak to EDC about this to him as she thinks it it high, see how quick he revises his figures
We should all place bets on how this would pan out.

If all anyone had to do was threaten to call EDC to get the correct rate, would this really be such a huge practice around town?

Pay, try to negotiate or find a new place, unfortunately.
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:14 am I had a problem with my landlord thinking that my electricity usage was too low. I wasn't using air-con. He changed the meter and the charge doubled. I called EDC and asked them to check it. They said "Does the meter belong to you?" I had to say no, so they said they couldn't help me. I changed flats.
And here's the rub. Only the person named on the bill can ask EDC to look at the problem. If the person named on the bill (i.e. the landlord) is the scammer, you can't do anything. Well, you can, you can ask the landlord to call EDC for a meter check and offer to pay the $5 for the callout, but what do you reckon the chances are of him doing that? So, the two remaining options are to put up with it or move. The same issue applies if the neighbours are tapped into your power supply, and possibly paying a kickback to the landlord - it's wrong, but you legally can't touch the wiring, and have no recourse other than the landlord.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Perhaps if I had gotten an independent assessment from an electrician, and if it was found that the landlord had tampered with the meter, he would have been made to refund the arrears and been fined by EDC. Oh hang on. I forgot, I'm in Cambodia.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

We have used the same qualified electrician over the past few years, and he's able to walk through the house and look at the appliances, and calculate fairly accurately what our power bill should be.

In the new place, we're paying around 40% over what the bill should be, but at the same time we're paying around half the rent of the last place, for roughly the same sized building, and have a good relationship with our landlord.

We're discussing whether to push the issue, or just allow ourselves to be scammed. I actually think it's the landlord's relatives (who are neighbours in several houses around us) jacked into our line.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

In a case like that, if all your appliances are off, and the meter is still spinning, there is an issue with theft. Your friendly electrician will be able to isolate and remove the offending wires.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

here is an energy consumption calculator https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electr ... lator.html that can help you calculate your bill.

Sounds to me like your landlord is just charging you double the actual rate a common practice here
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 pm In a case like that, if all your appliances are off, and the meter is still spinning, there is an issue with theft. Your friendly electrician will be able to isolate and remove the offending wires.
Friendly electrician is licensed, and doesn't want to risk his license by touching any wires up to and including the meter. It's a catch-22.
beaker wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:39 pm Sounds to me like your landlord is just charging you double the actual rate a common practice here
Very common, but if you lease a freestanding building and you're NOT paying the actual EDC bill, you're begging to be scammed. If the landlord pays your bill for you without showing you the bill, just give him extra money for beer and giggles.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 pm In a case like that, if all your appliances are off, and the meter is still spinning, there is an issue with theft. Your friendly electrician will be able to isolate and remove the offending wires.
Friendly electrician is licensed, and doesn't want to risk his license by touching any wires up to and including the meter. It's a catch-22.

You should be able to turn off your power at the box on the street.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:46 pm
StroppyChops wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm
You should be able to turn off your power at the box on the street.
Yep, that's the plan once I work out which one it is! I'm actually hoping to catch the EDC meter readers when they're in the area, but they move like ferrets on meth to stop people stopping them! The owner claims to not know which one it is, and looking at the bundle of cables, I don't blame him. Once I find it I'll flick it on and off at night and see which of the neighbour's houses respond.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic