motor got damaged while parking

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: motor got damaged while parking

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

beaker wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:27 am
Heng Heng Heng wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:35 am That bike would weigh about 3 times a parking attendant. I would have thought those big bikes would be hard to knock over when parked on the main stand (I don't know what they're called). The kick stand maybe.
The kick stand is on the side with a single foot and leans the bike over to a side and the center stand has 2 feet and stands the bike up straight much more secure.
I meant maybe the bike could have been knocked over easier on the kick stand rather than the center stand. Perhaps the attendant took it off the stand and it overbalanced. Lucky you didn't come back and find him crushed.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

sean lim wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:25 am
yeah 100% agreed about chaotic road. but it is not that hard to avoid the accident in this country(no one makes fast turn<left or right>)... and i have been riding big bike for a year in this country without any accident till now.

still having fun :-)
You're joking right! I have been riding bikes for 50 years, all over the world, including amateur competition. I have been riding in Phnom Penh 22 years, with no problems for 20 of them. I regard myself as a fairly experienced rider.

The last couple of years I have had three accidents non of which were my fault. The first I was traveling towards Chroy Changvar keeping pace with all the traffic and checking my mirrors when bang I got tailended. The second time I got T boned, and the last time was at night when a bike came out of a side road without lights and came straight at me on the wrong side of the road. Luckily I managed to pull up,and stay on the bike but the guys that run into me came off.

Cambodia had the highest motorcycle fatality in SEA. I dont know how many accidents you have witnessed while riding in Phnom Penh but I have seen a lot. At one time a couple of years ago or so I witnessed some hapless motorcyclist spread across the road every few days. Don't be complacent, don't let this be you!

Three men were killed in a traffic accident on Phnom Penh’s Preah Sihanouk Boulevard
Deputy traffic police chief Sem Kunthea said the three died at the scene. One of the victims was Cambodian, the other two Europeans, from Sweden and Germany.The accident happened when the two European men’s bike hit an SUV.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5092086/tw ... led-crash/
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"Cambodia had the highest motorcycle fatality in SEA...."

u sure Thailand does not take this honor??
Thailand is ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities, with 44 deaths per 100,000 people (5.1 percent of Thailand’s overall deaths), 73% are on motorcyles
on average around 80 people died each day on Thailand’s roads last year.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
lipservice
Expatriate

Post by lipservice »

Is this the same moron // wanker who started the post about how rich he was/is...
300 k an hour in Cambodia = this bloke is a moron // wanker.
And should be treated as such.

I wonder how many times he has told punters that he is ex SAS :)
sean lim
Expatriate
Korea South

Post by sean lim »

lipservice wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:16 pm Is this the same moron // wanker who started the post about how rich he was/is...
300 k an hour in Cambodia = this bloke is a moron // wanker.
And should be treated as such.

I wonder how many times he has told punters that he is ex SAS :)
i am not a rich....

especially in this country, i already met lot of rich people.

i am not even close to them, and i don't own a car either :-S
sean lim
Expatriate
Korea South

Post by sean lim »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:42 pm
sean lim wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:25 am
yeah 100% agreed about chaotic road. but it is not that hard to avoid the accident in this country(no one makes fast turn<left or right>)... and i have been riding big bike for a year in this country without any accident till now.

still having fun :-)
You're joking right! I have been riding bikes for 50 years, all over the world, including amateur competition. I have been riding in Phnom Penh 22 years, with no problems for 20 of them. I regard myself as a fairly experienced rider.

The last couple of years I have had three accidents non of which were my fault. The first I was traveling towards Chroy Changvar keeping pace with all the traffic and checking my mirrors when bang I got tailended. The second time I got T boned, and the last time was at night when a bike came out of a side road without lights and came straight at me on the wrong side of the road. Luckily I managed to pull up,and stay on the bike but the guys that run into me came off.

Cambodia had the highest motorcycle fatality in SEA. I dont know how many accidents you have witnessed while riding in Phnom Penh but I have seen a lot. At one time a couple of years ago or so I witnessed some hapless motorcyclist spread across the road every few days. Don't be complacent, don't let this be you!

Three men were killed in a traffic accident on Phnom Penh’s Preah Sihanouk Boulevard
Deputy traffic police chief Sem Kunthea said the three died at the scene. One of the victims was Cambodian, the other two Europeans, from Sweden and Germany.The accident happened when the two European men’s bike hit an SUV.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/5092086/tw ... led-crash/
Thanks for the advice. it won't be me

and i will ride cautiously :-]

maybe i can get a accident while waiting from stop sign.

but that's my bad luck :-P
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:00 pm "Cambodia had the highest motorcycle fatality in SEA...."

u sure Thailand does not take this honor??
Thailand is ranked second in the world in terms of traffic fatalities, with 44 deaths per 100,000 people (5.1 percent of Thailand’s overall deaths), 73% are on motorcyles
on average around 80 people died each day on Thailand’s roads last year.
Correct, I think Thailand took that honour in 2017. Notice I said HAD, I was referring to a 2014 report on Cambodia when if I remember road deaths were at their highest. Road deaths in Cambodia started to fall from 2016. The point I was making to the OP was that Phnom Penh was and still is a very dangerous place to drive motorcycles, so don't become complacent.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

beaker wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:24 pm

If you were in your own country I would bet that there are signs that say you park at your own risk and they would not pay you either. Why should some parking lot attendant be held responsible for your outlandish purchase the bike just fell over he didn't do anything on purpose ? .
Not true at all. In the USA the parking/valet company would be required to carry insurance for the business and the business would be 100% responsible for this and liable to fix it by law or get sued.
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

that genius wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:44 pm No offence, OP, but wtf did they do to cause that much damage?

I dropped a Honda VFR 400R back in the day, in Cambodia, dropped it at 60 kmh lots of damage, $500 to fix it like new.

Assuming it was parked, htf did they do that much damage?
He dropped a Honda 400r "back in the day"= 20 years ago and now he's comparing it to a new Ducati!!! 😂😂😂 this guy OMG. :ROFL:
bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

sean lim wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:04 pm
beaker wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:58 pm

also i didn't expect parking lot attendant will knock over my bike.
I am an insurance agent and unfortunately this is exactly why you must carry insurance on possessions you care about. Nobody expects nor can predict an accident or when something may get damaged. That's why it's called an accident.

Sorry friend.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic