Solar power for rural Cambodia

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Solar power for rural Cambodia

Post by frank lee bent »

Barang chgout wrote: ↑Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:11 pm
Were you talking about my town, I would tell you to just throw your money away at home. Don't bother coming here to do it, at the end of the day it may well just leave a bitter taste in your mouth.
I hope you have found a much more grateful and deserving community than mine.
Good luck.
I am sorry for your experience and identify strongly with it. One thing to remember though, sometimes planting the seed of an idea does not bear immediate fruit.
Also, Khmer culture seems to absorb things better when a group of people work together.
Leaders are hard to find here, as putting oneself forward is discouraged in local culture as being risky.

I have a friend in Thailand who was laughed to scorn by his neighbors for innoculating his chickens. Sometime later all the birds in the district died, except his- now they all vax.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

explorer wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:33 pm But understand what really goes on, and be smart about how you help. You can only help those who put in effort.

If the admin don't deliberately hamstring you
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I think Bangkokhooker is out of touch. Here in Australia the price of solar keeps tumbling. I have a friend who does big household installations with Chinese panels guaranteed for 25 years and an Austrian converter. When batteries get cheaper we will be on solar, it wont be long.
The big Tesla battery in SA is saving a fortune. It powers up when there are failures at the coal fired stations. Previously gas was used and the cost of gas fired power which makes steam is horrendous and takes time. Battery power is instant.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I discussed in an earlier post about some of the contributions I have made. I have also made contributions at another place. In both cases, not huge amounts.

What happens is the Cambodians put a lot of effort into trying to please you and impress you, and hope you will continue make contributions in the future.

For example, they say come to my house and I will cook for you. So I have had home cooked meals every day. They also go the market to buy the food. These home cooked meals are very good, and I really appreciate them. Better than restaurant food. The people I helped were in places which lack good restaurants anyway. Of course, I increased my financial contribution to cover the cost of the food.

In one place they offered me free accommodation, as they have an empty room, but I prefer to stay in the guest house. In the other place they had daughters, so they did not suggest sleeping there.

In one place, they wash and dry my clothes. They have a washing machine. In the other place, I just took my clothes to a place in town doing laundry, as I dont want give the impression that I am superior, and expect them to do it. I know they would have if I had asked.

So they put a huge amount of effort into trying to please you and impress you. They will say thank you, and tell you how much they appreciate what you do for them.

In this case, the appreciation is genuine. The friendship is genuine. If I get into financial difficulty in years to come, I could take up the offer of free accommodation.

Even the poor students I bought bicycles for. I am their best friend for life.

So they really appreciate me. I am in a place where there is a lot of poor people, and very few people speak English. I know, they will have many more opportunities in life if they learn English. So I tell them I can teach them English. They say that is a good, idea and they are so glad I am here to teach English. So we arrange a time for the first English class. When the time comes, two thirds of them dont even turn up, and the ones which do turn up arrive late. Some of the people who turn up on the first day, dont turn up for the next three days. They think if they turn up once every four days, they are earning English. It is very difficult to teach when so many students are absent on so many days.

So the uneducated people in the villages, have an attitude which takes some getting used to. It is normal to turn up late. It is normal to be absent on many days. They dont understand time and effort the way we do. You begin to realize it is next to impossible to teach them English.

But there are many different individuals. There are some students who do put in effort. These are the ones you can help. So you focus on these people. When the others see these students doing well, they may be influenced.

I should point out, the attitude of the better educated people can be quite different from the uneducated. There are schools where most students normally do turn up most days, on time. But for the uneducated it is quite different.

So they can genuinely appreciate you, but dont understand time and effort the way we do.

So you buy them a computer. It does not mean they will use it.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

No foreigners there...
Are you yourself Khmer then?

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

cpandrea
Expatriate

Post by cpandrea »

Barang chgout wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:29 am No foreigners there...
Are you yourself Khmer then?

No, but I don't live there, just visiting a few times per year
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Renewable Energy, Coming Soon, from Australia Energy Project
November 12, 2018
Phnom Penh, Cambodia News: The Australian government is setting up a renewable energy project in five provinces, Kampot, Kandal, Svay Rieng, Takeo and Prey Veng , and if the project is successful, Australia’s “iFat” fund will continue to expand throughout Cambodia by 2020. The idea is to exploit the sun through solar panels to generate electricity for Cambodians.

Renewable energy has much potential in Cambodia, and other countries such as Germany, Japan and China have shown interest in investment in future projects.
Wind power and tidal power are also being researched as part of renewable energy products in the kingdom.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

"Australian energy project"..
Is that like the Cambodian space project but with Adani as a backer?

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia awaits bids in 60-MW solar PV tender
February 26 (Renewables Now) - Electricite du Cambodge (EDC), an electric utility in Cambodia, has launched an international tender for the implementation of a 60-MW solar photovoltaic (PV) project, with bids to be accepted by May 17, 2019.

The project will see the construction of a solar park that will be the first phase of a larger complex, with a capacity of 100 MW, in the country’s Kampong Chhnang province. According to the tender documents, published earlier this month, the maximum bidding tariff is USD 0.076 (EUR 0.067) per kWh. The capacity will be installed on a build-own-operate (BOO) basis.

The scope of work will cover the development, design, financing and construction of the 60-MW plant, as well as the provision of operation and maintenance (O&M) services following completion. The construction of a substation and a related transmission interconnection facility is also included.

The winner will be awarded a long-term power purchase agreement (PPA) with EDC.

The utility noted that the project is expected to promote the deployment of low-cost power production capacity in Cambodia and help the country diversify its power mix with more clean energy generation.
https://www.renewablesnow.com/news/camb ... er-644317/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

tarariverboat wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:05 pm i am a big fan of solar power,i converted all my boats to run on solar about 6 years ago,the batteries lasted longer than expected at approx 5 years,the panels should last at least 25 years.so instead of running generators,with all the issues and costs involved in running the generators, solar is in the long term cheaper and much cleaner,on the biggest boat(Queen Tara) we have 4x200amph batteries and 10 solar panels,this is an over supply but we also have a few large parties and weddings to cater for so the extra power is needed at times,we run over 100 LED lights and fans and pumps,music ect.
just for an example on the costs the smallest boat i have has a 200amph battery and 2 smaller panels,runs music,pumps and about 35 LED lights,the total cost was about $1000 usd but i save approx $200 usd a month on not running the generator,so in 5 months the unit had paid for itself.so the battery was changed last year for about $220 and lasted 5 years,where as runing the generator would cost me $200 a month with diesel,oil,and maint.also of course solar is constantly On and no need to fire up the gennie:)
So with solar you can spend more time cruisn gthe oceans throwing food and drink containers into the asea before returning to port :-) Just kidding, Evry boat owner I know has a big plastic bag for rubbish. Some even bring it onshore and doispose of it :stir:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic