Why I do not feel any guilt being rich

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Why I do not feel any guilt being rich

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

kocdim wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 pm I have 2 million riels KHR. I'm millionaire also. I dont go around bragging about it :Yahoo!:
I’m in the same situation here, fancy to start a barang Riel millionairs club together?
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:If Cambodians ask for money you can always just say no, don't you?

And about the concept of savings - Cambodians are very aware of that but they just have a different concept than you. Ever noticed the amount of gold the average Cambodian is carrying around? Those are their savings.
Difficult to say no when they are now related to you. It’s always the indirect ask, never to you, always to the missus. Either give me X, or I take the family land to the bank to borrow. Also seem to pawn gold and jewelry at an alarming rate. Sometimes unable to buy back the jewelry and then ask to borrow money to buy replacement jewelry. Thank goodness no cows, just chickens. The incessant rooster at 4 AM, noon, and other ungodly hours is quite enough.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

You are a fucking idiot to say such a thing :stir:

charlie
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:18 am
Kammekor wrote:If Cambodians ask for money you can always just say no, don't you?

And about the concept of savings - Cambodians are very aware of that but they just have a different concept than you. Ever noticed the amount of gold the average Cambodian is carrying around? Those are their savings.
Difficult to say no when they are now related to you. It’s always the indirect ask, never to you, always to the missus. Either give me X, or I take the family land to the bank to borrow. Also seem to pawn gold and jewelry at an alarming rate. Sometimes unable to buy back the jewelry and then ask to borrow money to buy replacement jewelry. Thank goodness no cows, just chickens. The incessant rooster at 4 AM, noon, and other ungodly hours is quite enough.
Sometimes you just have to be a cheap ass. When shit hits the fan, like when a flooding damages the house, I step in and support repairs for a part, but when the old motorbike needs to be replaced by a new Honda Dream 2018 I turn into a cheap ass. If they want to pawn gold or land, I let them. It's their gold and land, not mine. Relatives are adults too, you know, and they have done it their way before me and they will do it their way after me. I've found out it's pretty useless to try to convince them do things my way, they simply can't or don't want. So be it.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

that genius wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:02 pm From my limited experience, I have learned that only wannabes and nouveau riche advertise their wealth.

Secondly, many people are delusional about what constitutes real wealth.

Thirdly, being rich is, in itself, not good or bad.

Only simpletons do not understand that is the WAY in which one got 'rich' that determines whether it is good or bad.

'Tis the season to be jolly, troll lalala lalalala
Right, two things matter about money:
How you got it.
How you spend it.
-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

Ok poor peasantS,I’m rich and I feel no shame and need not explain myself to you peasantS,it obviously gets to you in such a way because obviously none of you commenting have ever reached the basic entrance level of $ which is a mere $10 milly so you will never overstand or comprehend how it feels And what it takes to be rich,you most likely all rent cheap low class housing in Cambodia and not for nothing let me say this ,you take tuk tuks or better then that you drive scooters lol or bikes and do not have the luxury of waking up and jumping into your luxury suv,sedan,etc with lovely leather warm seats which massage your back,I personally have 3 of such vehicles in Cambodia and 9 globally in other countries,my chariot of choice is a Rolls Royce ,believe it or not,now sure it’s a car and any car serves the same purpose but no it’s not just a car it’s a choice ,it’s a Rolls Royce ,I often hear poverty stricken barangs discussing my car when I’m in a public place with my car in view ,they always say “what’s the use of buying such a expensive car in Cambodia,the roads are not good” blah blah etc etc

So..should I feel bad that I’ve worked smart in my life time,should I care about 30-70yr old dried out caviar on this forum commenting there lewd comments because their lives are far from what they wished for themselves ,I personally never talk down or comment negatively on post of other people but that’s because I’m rich ,I’m typing this while my body guard drives me to get my feet chiseled and after that I’m going to take a charter to Seoul tonight so I can get some skin whitening cream (very expensive cream) for a birthday party of a wealthy locals son .
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Troll. Your grammar and writing style makes it unlikely that you can hold down a job, much less earn a future. Having said that, if someone like Trump can amass a fortune, I guess anything is possible.
Jimmy Crow
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jimmy Crow »

hanno wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:05 am Troll. Your grammar and writing style makes it unlikely that you can hold down a job, much less earn a future. Having said that, if someone like Trump can amass a fortune, I guess anything is possible.
Hanna honey,it’s ok to be fat,,vegetarian and lesbian .its ok to not care about grammar when you are rich!
Everyone is equal. Everyone has a place. No one is written off, because there is worth and goodness in every life... That is the Republican ideal. And if we won't defend it, who will?
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

Jimmy Crow wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 am Ok poor peasantS,I’m rich and I feel no shame and need not explain myself to you peasantS,it obviously gets to you in such a way because obviously none of you commenting have ever reached the basic entrance level of $ which is a mere $10 milly so you will never overstand or comprehend how it feels And what it takes to be rich,you most likely all rent cheap low class housing in Cambodia and not for nothing let me say this ,you take tuk tuks or better then that you drive scooters lol or bikes and do not have the luxury of waking up and jumping into your luxury suv,sedan,etc with lovely leather warm seats which massage your back,I personally have 3 of such vehicles in Cambodia and 9 globally in other countries,my chariot of choice is a Rolls Royce ,believe it or not,now sure it’s a car and any car serves the same purpose but no it’s not just a car it’s a choice ,it’s a Rolls Royce ,I often hear poverty stricken barangs discussing my car when I’m in a public place with my car in view ,they always say “what’s the use of buying such a expensive car in Cambodia,the roads are not good” blah blah etc etc

So..should I feel bad that I’ve worked smart in my life time,should I care about 30-70yr old dried out caviar on this forum commenting there lewd comments because their lives are far from what they wished for themselves ,I personally never talk down or comment negatively on post of other people but that’s because I’m rich ,I’m typing this while my body guard drives me to get my feet chiseled and after that I’m going to take a charter to Seoul tonight so I can get some skin whitening cream (very expensive cream) for a birthday party of a wealthy locals son .
What type of investment / work did you do if it is not a secret
Kayve
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kayve »

Jimmy Crow wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:43 am Ok poor peasantS,I’m rich and I feel no shame and need not explain myself to you peasantS,it obviously gets to you in such a way because obviously none of you commenting have ever reached the basic entrance level of $ which is a mere $10 milly so you will never overstand or comprehend how it feels And what it takes to be rich,you most likely all rent cheap low class housing in Cambodia and not for nothing let me say this ,you take tuk tuks or better then that you drive scooters lol or bikes and do not have the luxury of waking up and jumping into your luxury suv,sedan,etc with lovely leather warm seats which massage your back,I personally have 3 of such vehicles in Cambodia and 9 globally in other countries,my chariot of choice is a Rolls Royce ,believe it or not,now sure it’s a car and any car serves the same purpose but no it’s not just a car it’s a choice ,it’s a Rolls Royce ,I often hear poverty stricken barangs discussing my car when I’m in a public place with my car in view ,they always say “what’s the use of buying such a expensive car in Cambodia,the roads are not good” blah blah etc etc

Let me wash your RR's windows please :bow:
Don't forget the water buffalo
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic