The good the bad and the ugly

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: The good the bad and the ugly

Post by newkidontheblock »

You hit the nail on the head.

On facebook they don’t get blasted into the next planet for expressing their thoughts.

Is there anyway to replicate that comfort zone here?
username
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by username »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:25 am Is there anyway to replicate that comfort zone here?
Remove anonymity and every poster must post with full names.
No thanks.

I suspect a lot of the people here are the same people as the old, grumpy, drunk people you avoid in a bar. Do just that. Ignore them
prahocalypse now
Expatriate
India

Post by prahocalypse now »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 3:46 pm
prahocalypse now wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 11:58 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 am Khmer get routinely chopped down by the grammar police and publicly hung to dry.
It's hung out to dry.
Well, depends. How well do you know your American history?
Not well enough. Please explain!
kptic
Expatriate
Greece

Post by kptic »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:35 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 pm So far replies have been - grammar nit picking, ad hominem attacks, making excuses that a school bully would make after being sent to the principal’s office (he deserved it, no culpability), and a few I wish the Khmer would return.

I think Khmer locals have tons to contribute (at least the missus does, after only looking at couple of threads), and would go towards a better understanding between locals and expats.

Alas, some keyboard warriors use this board to demonstrate their skills in verbal jujitsu or ninpo (take your pick), and thus scare them away.

Her response to me, ‘too lazy to post’ = She doesn’t want me to lose face by explaining why she doesn’t feel comfortable expressing her thoughts here.

So the ugly continues. Hopefully the good will rise and triumph in the end.
there are many Khmers that watch/read/comment on these Forums, but they dont use it on this platform, they contribute on the Facebook page, they read the stories we post here and then comment/share on the Facebook page
This is the first I've heard of CEO's Facebook page. My wife may want to participate on that platform. Just checked it out, and there are a good number of ladies posting that definitely don't post on here. However, count me out. Facebook is full of SJWs with no sense of humor. I'll stick to the CEO forum.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

kptic wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 7:16 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:35 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 8:25 pm So far replies have been - grammar nit picking, ad hominem attacks, making excuses that a school bully would make after being sent to the principal’s office (he deserved it, no culpability), and a few I wish the Khmer would return.

I think Khmer locals have tons to contribute (at least the missus does, after only looking at couple of threads), and would go towards a better understanding between locals and expats.

Alas, some keyboard warriors use this board to demonstrate their skills in verbal jujitsu or ninpo (take your pick), and thus scare them away.

Her response to me, ‘too lazy to post’ = She doesn’t want me to lose face by explaining why she doesn’t feel comfortable expressing her thoughts here.

So the ugly continues. Hopefully the good will rise and triumph in the end.
there are many Khmers that watch/read/comment on these Forums, but they dont use it on this platform, they contribute on the Facebook page, they read the stories we post here and then comment/share on the Facebook page
This is the first I've heard of CEO's Facebook page. My wife may want to participate on that platform. Just checked it out, and there are a good number of ladies posting that definitely don't post on here. However, count me out. Facebook is full of SJWs with no sense of humor. I'll stick to the CEO forum.
yeah exactly 100 of my facebook friends follow the CEO facebook page, about 50% of them are Khmer and probably 50% are female

i dont really post on the facebook page though, i do keep meaning to get more involved on it though
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

the fb page gets few replies. I think its more of a vehicle to move them here, ( ie same as click here for more info) than a freestanding option for most
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

prahocalypse now wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:54 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 2:23 am Khmer get routinely chopped down by the grammar police and publicly hung to dry.
It's hung out to dry.
Possibly a little abstract, and definitely distasteful. Sorry about that. It's a reference to hanging slaves in America. Southern trees bear strange fruit.

Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:40 pm
It's hung out to dry.
Possibly a little abstract, and definitely distasteful. Sorry about that. It's a reference to hanging slaves in America. Southern trees bear strange fruit.

Men are hanged, meat is hung. The Tyburn jig
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

cptrelentless wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:10 pm Men are hanged, meat is hung. The Tyburn jig
Sure, but I was responding to what was posted and not being a grammar Nazi.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

StroppyChops wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 5:40 pm
It's hung out to dry.

Never heard of this and I lived in the dirty South for over a decade, I'd say it's more of a lazy American thing where we shorten phases, in the mid-west they don't say "do you want to go with me?" they just ask - "go with?"
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic