Koh Rong Samloem done right Seriously

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Koh Rong Samloem done right Seriously

Post by dron »

Try America. Cheaper property, foreigners are allowed to own land with no restrictions, and they have rule of law.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

adamB60 wrote:
so how do bigger operations protect themselves?

Like https://www.songsaa.com/

any ideas folks ?
A long, ongoing, and presumably very expensive business relationship with the military owners.

"Protection" in any country with minimal rule of law will inevitably be exactly that which you're trying to avoid.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

dron wrote:Try America. Cheaper property, foreigners are allowed to own land with no restrictions, and they have rule of law.
^This.
Also, given that Cambodia enjoys full employment and America has many unemployed, labour costs may well be lower in the U.S.
Hard to pick a third world country these days.....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Hotdigr
Expatriate

Post by Hotdigr »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 3:35 am I think you have a laudable pipe dream. Most people who go to KRS and spend a few nights are stoned-out-of-their-mind, 20-something European Caucasians-with-dreads on the 'snail tail'... who wince at paying $7 a night for their accommodation. Families and the type of guest you want to attract do visit... but mostly only as part of a day trip from Sihanoukville/Otres. You may say "Build it and they will come." To that, I say you must ask yourself "Can I be competitive?" Good luck... most Chinese don't really 'give a shit' about the environment.
Very out of date view of both Islands actually. I have 2 friends who 3 years ago built and still currently own and operate "Moonlight Resort" at Saracen Bay on KRS. Average high season price for a bungalow is $120 per night. Average low season price is $80 pn. They have run at over 70% occupancy for the entire 3 years. Families and honeymoon couples make up the majority of their custom. At least 3 other resorts at Saracen operate the same business model and all have been successful to date. In high season it is basically impossible to get a room at Saracen for less then $40 a night. The $7 a night backpackers are all at M'pai Bay now.
Last year my wife and I managed "Coral Resort" on Longset Beach on Koh Rong. While not as flash as Moonlight, it was still miles away from a $7 a night backpackers hostel. Our average low season room night cost was $25. We ran at over 80% occupancy during the wettest wet season I have experienced over here and the vast majority of our guests were families and older "flash packers". The $7 a night backpackers tend to concentrate at Koh Touch Village btw.
Things are changing for the better imo.
adamB60
Tourist
Australia

Post by adamB60 »

im already in usa ha ha

but cost of set up to huge here and no land thats worth doing on
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

US is actually one of the easiest places in the world to open a business. I incorporated a large business in America by myself and it took two days. Setting up a small shop for my girlfriend to sell canned drinks and iced coffee here took weeks and we're still waiting for the license to be finalized over a month later.

You can also legally own land, property rights are protected, and there is a firm rule of law.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Thailand seems quite safe now ?
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Hotdigr wrote: The $7 a night backpackers are all at M'pai Bay now.
Last year my wife and I managed "Coral Resort" on Longset Beach on Koh Rong. While not as flash as Moonlight, it was still miles away from a $7 a night backpackers hostel. Our average low season room night cost was $25. We ran at over 80% occupancy during the wettest wet season I have experienced over here and the vast majority of our guests were families and older "flash packers". The $7 a night backpackers tend to concentrate at Koh Touch Village
Yea: Was recently on both Rong and Sanloen and there's plenty cheap options. You'll only pay a lot if you choose the secluded bays known for higher prices like Saracen on Sanloen. It's all on booking.com and there's much more places when u actually turn up so there's no real worries regarding accommodation.
superferret
Expatriate
Albania

Post by superferret »

It's good you have resources and are aware of the lack of rule of law in Cambodia, but unless you know the country and have contacts you could get burnt in so many ways.
I've seen about 9 out of 10 small businesses started by people I know fail in Cambodia. If you're serious about it, go spend a month there and see things on the ground.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic