10 dead in Texas school shooting

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 10 dead in Texas school shooting

Post by phuketrichard »

its not pro gun vs anti gun;
we all know, (at least us Americans know) , Americans will NEVER give up their guns peacefully... :beer3:

There is a quote;

"I Will Give Up My Gun When They Peel My Cold Dead Fingers From Around It."
A year after the Columbine High School massacre, the phrase gained newfound popularity following the 129th NRA convention, in Charlotte, North Carolina on May 20, 2000, when the actor, and president at the time of the NRA, Charlton Heston ended a speech by concluding:

For the next six months, [Democratic presidential candidate and then-Vice President of the United States, Al Gore] is going to smear you as the enemy. He will slander you as gun-toting, knuckle-dragging, bloodthirsty maniacs who stand in the way of a safer America. Will you remain silent? I will not remain silent. If we are going to stop this, then it is vital to every law-abiding gun owner in America to register to vote and show up at the polls on Election Day.

Heston then paused to pick up a replica of a flintlock long rifle and continued:

So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!'
— Charlton Heston, May 20, 2000

Heston repeated the phrase at the end of each NRA convention over which he presided. When he announced his retirement in 2003, he concluded by repeating "From my cold, dead hands."

BUT TG/Vlad needs to stop baiting people and pulling things out of context to start petty squabbles

It killed k440
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:05 pm its not pro gun vs anti gun;
we all know, (at least us Americans know) , Americans will NEVER give up their guns peacefully... :beer3:

There is a quote;

"I Will Give Up My Gun When They Peel My Cold Dead Fingers From Around It."
A year after the Columbine High School massacre, the phrase gained newfound popularity following the 129th NRA convention, in Charlotte, North Carolina on May 20, 2000, when the actor, and president at the time of the NRA, Charlton Heston ended a speech by concluding:

For the next six months, [Democratic presidential candidate and then-Vice President of the United States, Al Gore] is going to smear you as the enemy. He will slander you as gun-toting, knuckle-dragging, bloodthirsty maniacs who stand in the way of a safer America. Will you remain silent? I will not remain silent. If we are going to stop this, then it is vital to every law-abiding gun owner in America to register to vote and show up at the polls on Election Day.

Heston then paused to pick up a replica of a flintlock long rifle and continued:

So, as we set out this year to defeat the divisive forces that would take freedom away, I want to say those fighting words for everyone within the sound of my voice to hear and to heed, and especially for you, Mr. Gore: 'From my cold, dead hands!'
— Charlton Heston, May 20, 2000

Heston repeated the phrase at the end of each NRA convention over which he presided. When he announced his retirement in 2003, he concluded by repeating "From my cold, dead hands."

BUT TG/Vlad needs to stop baiting people and pulling things out of context to start petty squabbles

It killed k440

He must have apologized, or did he give it mouth to mouth resuscitation, cause it survived.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

Duncan wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:39 pm
phuketrichard wrote: BUT TG/Vlad needs to stop baiting people and pulling things out of context to start petty squabbles

It killed k440

He must have apologized, or did he give it mouth to mouth resuscitation, cause it survived.
Yesh, but K440 survived in the same kinda way MySpace survived. It's technically still around but nobody uses it, enjoys it, participates in it or particularly gives a toss either way anymore.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 pm
So, let's not take every modding action personal, and know that we all want a forum where we can all express damn near anything without someone else coming along and baiting us for no reason and pissing everyone the fuck off who was actually having fun before it all went downhill.
Agree with this. Chill all.

But take note that all CEO threads about mass shootings in the US end in some US person defending their right to wave a gun around in their country even if they haven't been there since last century. Then someone else will reply that people who like guns are stupid.
Then the thread degenerates ... bla bla.

Check it out. All the threads here about US shootings end with a guns vs no-guns debate where no one loses and no one wins. And then someone gets aggressive. :tumbleweed:
Why bother ?? :suicide:
Carry on shooting-debating. Never mind that firearms are illegal in Cambodia.
^True, lol. I even had the thought of sending this link to Orange Dragon. Then I sobered up.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i find it odd that those who habitually criticize USA nearly always give the other major powers a free pass, and their own countries as well.
while these school shootings are highly visible, it is a fact that USA is 99th in murder rates per capita shown here by UN citation
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf ... ion-people
and 92nd as shown here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate
and 83rd here
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings
given that nearly all the countries with much higher murder rates have very strict gun controls, it would appear this argument is fallacious.

what is clear however, is that many of these mass shooters have been using psychoactive pharmaceuticals, usually by prescription.
xxxxxxx
Expatriate

Post by xxxxxxx »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 pm i find it odd that those who habitually criticize USA nearly always give the other major powers a free pass, and their own countries as well.
Worse than that is the predictable and inevitable response (by you-know-who) anytime someone does criticize Putin or the Chinese for their bad behaviors by countering with "So the USA bombing Cambodia was okay? ", "So the USA invading Iraq was okay?", etc. etc. when nobody remotely suggested such nonsense. Pure diversionary strawman argument tactics meant to troll and deflect.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 pm i find it odd that those who habitually criticize USA nearly always give the other major powers a free pass, and their own countries as well.
while these school shootings are highly visible, it is a fact that USA is 99th in murder rates per capita shown here by UN citation
http://www.nationmaster.com/country-inf ... ion-people
and 92nd as shown here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... icide_rate
and 83rd here
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indica ... 5/rankings
given that nearly all the countries with much higher murder rates have very strict gun controls, it would appear this argument is fallacious.

what is clear however, is that many of these mass shooters have been using psychoactive pharmaceuticals, usually by prescription.
First list is 7 years old,

second is in no particular order,

third a little better but is based on murder not solely by fire arm.
although comparing to El Salvador, Iraq & Venezuela is a bit pointless. You need to be comparing with Canada, Germany, France, uk, NZ, Australia etc, the richer countries with stricter gun control. There is not really a comparison between the US and countries in the midst of a drug war/ civil wars and invasions.

Going by “other major powers”, Russia are 33 (11.3 per 100k)(which is a fucking diabolical country in terms of human rights etc) then jump to 163 for UK (.9 per 100k)168 for Germany .8. USA is 4.9.

The reason for people from outside the USA to be so bewildered by the whole second amendment bollocks is because it is just that.
Jim Gil
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Jim Gil »

I'm not American so can't understand why they have an obsession with the Constitution, I mean lots of countries have been founded on certain principles that then change and change again over time, guess it probably has its roots in religion.
Anyway my point is that Americans are so used to gun crime that the majority are prepared to accept the high murder rates and regular mass shootings as just normality.
Pk Richard is right when he says that this will never change, they've been told since they were children that to own a gun is to be an American.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Never mind that firearms are illegal in Cambodia.
And that has been working quite well. There are no firearms in circulation and murder is unheard of here.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jim Gil wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:16 am I'm not American so can't understand why they have an obsession with the Constitution...
I'm not American either so find this obsession very strange too. I can't think of any other country where people even mention their constitution. I'm not anti gun, but I grew up in a country where there was a war going on and there were major restrictions on who could legally own one. We had a 12 gauge that was kept under my parent's bed. The only reason we could have it was because my dad was a respectable member of the community with no criminal record and was a member of a gun-club. Of course these laws didn't stop paramilitaries and criminals from buying illegal weapons, but what it did mean was that anyone caught with an unlicensed firearm was facing a custodial sentence. Background checks will never completely stop the supply of fire-arms to criminals and the mentally deranged, but they could at least make it a bit more difficult for those sorts to buy firearms.

Someone pointed out earlier on this thread that the US has a murder rate far below that of many central American countries, like as if that should be the gauge. Aim a bit higher than that, you're supposed to be the best/ richest/ most powerful country in the world, not some helpless shithole that can't even seem to stop your students being murdered. Get your shit together.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic