Golden Sorya Mall transformed into "Phnom Penh Pub Street"

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Golden Sorya Mall transformed into

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:21 pm
Barang chgout wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:08 pm
Something about putting lipstick on a pig....

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
Or making a silk purse out of a sow's ear? :snorting:
Or polishing a turd.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Re: Golden Sorya Mall transformed into "Phnom Pen Pub St"

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:23 am Is it being transformed from a rabbit warren of sleazy bars to a rabbit warren of sleazy bars?
It will take a while, it's a slow process.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Golden Sorya Mall transformed into "Phnom Pen Pub Street"

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

Won't be long before the punters will be dodging flying ashtrays and beer glasses again. The security staff will be cracking heads and skanks will be stealing customer's shit and life will return to normal on 51.
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Give it time. The grand opening is soon'ish....

Yes it is basically the same as before just tarted up and more empty bars to be filled.

I suppose all thats needed is to find enough customers to make it work. 51 street has been dead recently.
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

logos wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 am There is no way the place will take off with the stupid rents they're trying to get. A ridiculous waste of money. They'll probably hold on for a year or so not to lose face too fast then quietly fold it.

I agree. I took one beer there in each of the 2 bars already opened the night I go. That's was over priced (only tiger can at 1.50$ available), not funny at all. I ask for some ice, the lady boss told me "it's cold already !!!" :-D Just, empty area.

I was drinking and just think it remembers the similar beer garden area in the middle of the Walking Street of Pattaya. The difference, in Pattaya there are many sexy girls, some dancing on the bar, playing games with customers under beautiful colorful lights, on strong music... You know what ? This big bar space in Pattaya is not full of customer at all. They fill about 30% in high season... so, how the Pub Shtreet of the infamous 51 in Phnom Penh expect success with overpriced place with nothing to do inside ?

I suggest to put many young girls, friendly, in sexy dress and draft bar at the price of 0,75$ if they want fill this huge place :-D

Cambodian really need to learn how to start at the bottom of the ladder before to burn the wings while flying near the sun.
Oh no, no, no problem, Chineses are here already : problem solved.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Heng Heng Heng wrote:Won't be long before the punters will be dodging flying ashtrays and beer glasses again. The security staff will be cracking heads and skanks will be stealing customer's shit and life will return to normal on 51.
Haha, THAT!
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I walked down there today, the bars a slightly more spaced out than I originally thought. I actually don't think it looks that bad, the north end anyway.

I am not holding out too much hope but it could be a good place if they get it right. Perhaps they need to raise the drink prices, even slightly (75¢-$1)?

Having a huge banner advertising 50¢ beers, $2 jugs is not going to discourage the people that currently give the area a bad name.

There's also a banner saying "rent from $900 to $2,500" and at the top "50%". Does this mean $900 is 50% of the future price or they are giving 50% off of that (for an unspecified amount of time)?
onico
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by onico »

1000$/month, just add the salary of your staff, you have to sell 3000 beers on the month to start making profits... Or I am bad with mathematics?
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

that genius wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:02 am Love the genius strategy, let's raise rents and keep them open 24H, that would make it high-class, right? Doh.
:D

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

onico wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:29 pm
logos wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 am There is no way the place will take off with the stupid rents they're trying to get. A ridiculous waste of money. They'll probably hold on for a year or so not to lose face too fast then quietly fold it.
I suggest to put many young girls, friendly, in sexy dress and draft bar at the price of 0,75$ if they want fill this huge place :-D
Winning formula right there! Bring dem gurls and the punters will follow.. Have the chinese got a monopoly on them in the KTVs tho?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic