Old Time Stories

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Old Time Stories

Post by John Bingham »

Tarndog wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:43 pm Reading some of your guys' stories makes me jealous. I can only wonder how much better Cambodia/Thailand was in the late 90s and early 2000s. I wish I had immigrated to SEA much earlier than I did.
It had a certain appeal but really wasn't for everyone. Many of the foreigners who have moved here in recent years and find it hard not to complain about everything would not have lasted a week in those days. Picture dark, rutted streets, garbage burning in the side of the street because there was no collection. Regular power cuts, disabled beggars and glue sniffers everywhere, squatted buildings, thousands of shack slums all over the city, no tuktuks, only a handful of bars. Most locals had far less money then and extreme poverty was much more obvious. 8-)
Anyway, I'll see if I can come up with anything.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

whatwat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:17 pm I watched City of Ghosts (again) last night.
Looked like an interesting place back then.

I was in Thailand around 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes, I think, people find it really difficult to talk about what had happened to them in their lives. Perhaps things are bottled up and they can't cope and end up taking their own lives.

Here is a really personal story about me, I don't think anybody knows it as I've always kept it hidden.
When I was 4 my Irish father was regional manager in an open cast coal site in Northumberland . One day he did not come home.
At the wake I sat on the stairs and listened. It was spoken that it wasn't just an accident.

So now I only had my mother, an absolute Angel in disguise. But now these terrible nightmares began. Difficult to sleep, but when I did dark angels or worse used to order me up an old oak tree and tell me to jump otherwise it would be bye bye to mum. I always used to jump, but before hitting bottom I was always woken up.

At age 13 my mother died. From that day until recently I had terrible nightmares where i'm literally fighting the unseen. I'm out of bed in my nightmare throwing punches at Lucifer and unseen dark angels for what they have done.
I could add much more but I won't at this time.

Happy to say that things seem normal now that I have eventually come to terms with my past.

My deepish wish is that us expats open up and perhaps, just perhaps, it will help reduce the amount of suicides that seem to be happening.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

The Whisperer wrote:
whatwat wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:17 pm I watched City of Ghosts (again) last night.

Sometimes, I think, people find it really difficult to talk about what had happened to them in their lives. Perhaps things are bottled up and they can't cope and end up taking their own lives.

Here is a really personal story about me, I don't think anybody knows it as I've always kept it hidden.
When I was 4 my Irish father was regional manager in an open cast coal site in Northumberland . One day he did not come home.
At the wake I sat on the stairs and listened. It was spoken that it wasn't just an accident.

So now I only had my mother, an absolute Angel in disguise. But now these terrible nightmares began. Difficult to sleep, but when I did dark angels or worse used to order me up an old oak tree and tell me to jump otherwise it would be bye bye to mum. I always used to jump, but before hitting bottom I was always woken up.

At age 13 my mother died. From that day until recently I had terrible nightmares where i'm literally fighting the unseen. I'm out of bed in my nightmare throwing punches at Lucifer and unseen dark angels for what they have done.

Happy to say that things seem normal now that I have eventually come to terms with my past.

My deepish wish is that us expats open up and perhaps, just perhaps, it will help reduce the amount of suicides that seem to be happening.
Woah. Image
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The Whisperer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:56 pm

My grandfather, on my mothers side worked in the Northumberland mines , not sure which one as I think there were many, but I think they were all underground, and I still have a postcard of the mine with a message sent just before he left for NZ to work in the Huntly coal mine in the Waikato. Not sure of the year , maybe about 1914. as the postcard in in OZ and I haven't put it on the computer.

Some great and interesting stories on the web site.

Poem.

In perfect health they left their homes,
not knowing their time had come.
A sudden change upon them fell,
no time to bid their friends farewell.

http://www.sixtownships.org.uk/northumberland.html
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

to much info Whisperer
dont need stories that make me think, i want stories that entertain.

But, hey, thats just me....
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 pm to much info Whisperer

Yeah, I understand. Just thought that maybe, if us guys could open up a bit and discuss our problems with one another then it may reduce our suicide rate here in Cambo.
End of the day, I believe our life is precious and its such a shame to see so many people checking out.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

The Whisperer wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:45 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 pm to much info Whisperer

Yeah, I understand. Just thought that maybe, if us guys could open up a bit and discuss our problems with one another then it may reduce our suicide rate here in Cambo.
End of the day, I believe our life is precious and its such a shame to see so many people checking out.
open up? Posting problems on an open forum to people you don't know?
nope, not for me
....its such a shame to see so many people checking out.
why?
taking control of how, where, when u die, is ok for me and i hold it not against anyone
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

Jesus Christ some of you are old as hell. Do you dictate to a nurse to post here?

RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

OP must obviously be a troll or a spy and is building a dossier on everyone. :P
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

NeverNude wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:38 pm Jesus Christ some of you are old as hell. Do you dictate to a nurse to post here?
You can scoff now, but it's very unlikely that you'll live as long as we did. Think about that while you are choking to death on beard hair.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic