Old Time Stories

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
The Last Word
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Old Time Stories

Post by The Last Word »

Paulo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:26 pm I remember a trip to northern Thailand back in '87. Let me see, the guesthouse was 40B a night, hookers were 50B (90B for an all nighter), a small bottle of Mekong 45B, and a plate of chicken and rice was 20B. I would mind going back. I figure it would cost about 1400B for a week. That's about $43, so if prices haven't changed too much and I don't over do the hookers and whiskey I figure if I just take a $50 note I'll be good for a week. Tips included of course. I'll be back in a week with a full trip report.
LOL you are kidding right?? you think $50 will last you a week in Thailand today including girls?? lolz surely it's an April fools joke.
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

The Last Word wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:13 pm
Paulo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:26 pm I remember a trip to northern Thailand back in '87. Let me see, the guesthouse was 40B a night, hookers were 50B (90B for an all nighter), a small bottle of Mekong 45B, and a plate of chicken and rice was 20B. I would mind going back. I figure it would cost about 1400B for a week. That's about $43, so if prices haven't changed too much and I don't over do the hookers and whiskey I figure if I just take a $50 note I'll be good for a week. Tips included of course. I'll be back in a week with a full trip report.
LOL you are kidding right?? you think $50 will last you a week in Thailand today including girls?? lolz surely it's an April fools joke.
I wouldn't make a day by today's prices. LOL. :shock:
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Back in the late 1960's, after I had turned 21 and was legally allowed to go into a pub,
Spoiler:
In 1969 the purchase age was lowered from 21 to 20.
when ever I had a chance, I would often go cruising around the country side of the North Island of New Zealand and stop of at small pubs like the one at Houhora

Puhoi pub

Hikarangi Hotel

If you timed it right there would always be a ''old-timer '' there at the bar who would be willing to tell you the most interesting stories you have ever heard about his life and the good old days. It's such a pity that that video's , smartphones and computers weren't around then cause those stories have now gone for good.

I hope you all can see why I like telling those ''Old Time Stories ''

It's also a bit disappointing that some forum members that were here in the early days don't post about their everyday experiences back then, even things back in your school days and first jobs may not sound interesting to you , but to others that have not had those experiences ,, it may be very interesting.
Last edited by Duncan on Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:41 pm so many of my stories can't be told to protect others who wish to remain anonymous
Please tell your stories. Change the names to protect the innocent.
Tarndog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Tarndog »

Reading some of your guys' stories makes me jealous. I can only wonder how much better Cambodia/Thailand was in the late 90s and early 2000s. I wish I had immigrated to SEA much earlier than I did.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

".....I can only wonder how much better Cambodia/Thailand was in the late 90s"
it all depends on what you mean by better
for sure different...

"man, you should have been here, (1975,( my first trip to se asia) 1982, last month, last week, yesterday) "
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

I watched City of Ghosts (again) last night.
Looked like an interesting place back then.

I was in Thailand around 93.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

it was 1972 and we were on our way from Brindisi to Athens on the ferry, Had my vw camper van so all we had to pay for was the fee for the van. Stowed underneath headed up to the deck at night and it was storming, lighting going off, loud thunder and the chairs were literally flying off the deck, we were scared shitless, to scared to cross the deck and go back downstairs and were hanging out under the bow when a sailor came up and told us to keep the noise down as the Captain was sleeping.
fuck, we started laughing so hard and couldn't stop, as we had been taking lsd every days since leaving Morocco 3 weeks before

Thought is was the funniest thing ever an all we could say," if the captain is sleeping, whose running the boat?"

ah to be young and not a care in the world
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

True Story.

It must have been about the year 1958 -59 and I was about 11 or 12 years old, when I had saved up enough money from scavenging beer and soft drink bottles, [ no ali cans in those days ,] that I was able to give my mother enough money to buy a Volk 177 air rifle for me. Obviously I was under age and was told I was only allowed to use it under her supervision, but we had no neighbors for miles around so who was to know.
One day I was on the river bank throwing bits of bread onto the surface of the water and shooting the sprats [ herring ] that came up to the surface to eat it. I heard a car stop after it had gone over the bridge where I was and the driver had a good view of me and he was wearing what I thought was a police uniform so I high-tailed it home.
Later there was a knock on the door and the officer wanted to see the gun as he thought it was a .22 or 303 rifle. After a bit of talking he challenged me to a target shooting competition as he had been a '' crack shot '' during his training.
The target was a aluminium pan that the dog food was fed in and he drew with his pencil a circle on the side with a '' bulls-eye'' in the middle. This was placed about 10 meters away and I was given the first shot which hit the outside of the circle.
He had the second shot ,,, and even missed the dogs food pan .

We fired about 3 shots each as I had very few pellets, and he missed every time, before he gave up then gave instructions to be careful with guns etc and he headed off to do whatever police do in country roads.

I never ever got round to telling him that I thought the barrel of the gun got bent when I fell out of a tree with it , cause at 10 meter distant you had to aim about two inches below the target.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
The Whisperer
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by The Whisperer »

Duncan wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 1:27 pm Everyone has their own story from the old days. Would you like to share it.

Background:
I previously lived and worked in Thailand for almost 10 years.
About the year 2000 my Thai wife and I decided to take a break and head up 'home.' Home was a Thai style western bungalow out in the sticks in Roi Et province, Isaan.
It was a in a very beautiful little village full of her relatives. About a 100 yards or so down the lane was a cute school with an excellent football pitch. I was quite well in with the school having donated flip flops, tee shirts etc over time.

One day it was so hot, the indoor thermometer showing 40 degrees and sweating like a pig I decided to run a bath. The bath was Thai design and was about the size that a full football team piles into after a match. Earlier that day i'd been invited down to the school as there was a function going on, i'd steadfastly refused due to the heat.
No sooner had I dived into the bath when I heard several people approaching the house led by the wife. I was told in no uncertain terms to get my arse out of the bath and get down to the school, people where waiting for me. The outside thermometer was showing 44 degrees. WTF.

On approaching the school a loud cheer went up at the sight of me, there must have been about 200 people there. On arrival I was thrown a football strip and told to hurry up and change. The wife, the sly sod, had brought my trainers. I was told not to worry as I could just be a sub. teams Out on the pitch the two teams lined up shortly to be joined by 3 gentlemen dressed in black who could have put premiership referees and linesmen to shame. They took up their positions in the middle of the two teams while a guy moved along the line calling out names to loud applause. I could only count 11 players on our team so i'm worried, how could I JUST BE A SUB. I was last in my line and when he got to me he did a kind of speech and the whole place went into uproar. The wife told me that he'd said I was from England and used to play for Liverpool. The lying bastard, I could have killed him.
The game was highly paced and at the end I was told it was an inter provincial game and the eventual winners would be presented with a cup, a cheque for 100,000B and other benefits. Pleased to say we won 1-0.

I was no spring chicken at the time, I think I was about age 48 and my sprinting prowess had degenerated into the speed of a disabled tortoise. Needless to say I was more or less carried home and spent the rest of the week laid out and just enjoying my bottles of Leo.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic