Lone Star review

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Lone Star review

Post by taranis »

404 Not Known
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Lone Star review

Post by General Mackevili »

Nice report, and thanks a million for taking the time to format it correctly! !

What did your friend that didn't like it have?

I used to go there many times a week for lunch and love the food there!

And what did your other friends think?

I used to get their food delivered a lot too, and I was surprised at how well they packaged it to arrive hot and in good shape.

I'm guessing nobody had the ribs, because those are the freaking bomb! !
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I am really surprised as this is one of my favourite places!
True about the child though.
I think maybe one of the heirs to ownership?
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I usually put burger king at the top of the list when it comes to burgers. I've always said the whopper is the pinnacle of burgers world wide.

However, the best burger I have ever had in the kingdom was the chilli cheese burger I had at lonestar.

I've had a few meals at lonestar. Not heaps as it opened after I had moved out of Phnom Penh. If what I have had, all were good but that chilli cheese burger was great.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

Similar to Mr Lonestar I also ran a guesthouse with my children present. If a customer had issues with this I would ask them why they would come to a family run establishment if they were not expecting a family to be present. The haters would quickly stfu.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

didn't bother me.
women are programmed to dote on kids.
Ttr
Expatriate

Post by Ttr »

Always excellent food when I have visited Lone Star, the best.

Great Burgers, superb Ribs.

Family run atmosphere is good for me.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Also surprised. I've been going there on a weekly basis (at least) since they opened up on St.172 4-5 years ago. I usually go for a drink or two though I've also eaten most of what's on their menu. I find the chicken steak sauce bland, but that's probably one of my only complaints food-wise. LS usually offers very good value.

As for the staff, they're the main reason I go there. Sure, we know each other fairly well after all this time, but even when I first started going, I liked their friendliness. If you guys were four, then I don't see why the staff would be bothered to talk to you guys. They would probably view it as intrusive. If you were there alone and the place was almost empty, then I find it surprising they didn't chat with you. Maybe it was an off day, and the "main" girl openly admits that she's always in a better mood when there are a lot of customers and lots of work to do. You also have to realize that some of the girls might not actually be staff. For example, one girl regularly goes to Australia to meet her boyfriend so when she comes back or when he comes to town, she'll help whenever she can, but she'll usually be sitting in front of the bar (not behind it). As for the kid, well, as digger said, it's a family bar. Sometimes the cook's kid is there, and sometimes one (or both) of owner's kids is there. I don't find it usually diverts their attention too much from their tasks unless the place is empty and you're the only one. In that case they should be easily approachable. Anyways, I'd suggest you try it one more time. Maybe it's just not for you though. I've gone to several expat places which people rave about but I just didn't enjoy them, even after going 8-10 times. To each their own/you can't please everyone etc.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

Thanks for coming in and taking the time to write a review. I am sorry you were not impressed with your burger. A while back, someone wrote that their burger fell apart............so a couple of weeks ago I made a special point of checking out our burger patties and tried several.........I was very happy with the result. I would be interested in knowing what your friend had.

As the for child in the bar.........we are a family run establishment. My wife and I have two little ones that are in from time to time, and our cook has a little girl that is there most of the time. Many of our customers really enjoy the little ones about. If you don't, I completely understand...........but please understand that as a family run, family friendly establishment..........that we are not likely to change. I think our family atmosphere is part of what makes us different than a lot of other places.......but, to each his own. Having said that, our staff needs to be paying attention to our customers, and I will address that when I return.

Hope to see you back in one day and maybe we can change your opinion.
Last edited by Lonestar on Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

I am a fan of Lone Star. In no order, the places I am most likely to order from-

Lone Star
Brooklyn Pizza
Freebird
Edens 3 Mango - #1 due to late hours.

Lone Star - add jalapeño poppers to the menu!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic