Anyone had a suit made recently?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Anyone had a suit made recently?

Post by StroppyChops »

I need to have a suit made in the next fortnight, and was surprised at the price my most recent tailor quoted me - $210 for a two-piece suit (becaw thom) from a shop that makes my shirts, shorts and pants for $6. I'm assuming he just doesn't want the work. Has anyone had a suit made recently, for a better price than that? I'm planning to head over to my previous tailor near Orussey for a quote, but would prefer to buy closer to TTP or BT if I can.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Anyone had a suit made recently?

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

had a lot of nice shirts tailor made usually in the 10-15$ bracket depending on material, never had a full suit made though $210 seems quite over priced considering how cheap you can get the shirts and trousers made
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i go to the tailors out near Orussey too, street 113 iirc
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 pm i go to the tailors out near Orussey too, street 113 iirc
Yeah, sounds like my old guy - charges $4 a garment and you provide the material, I think I'll end up seeing him for a quote. A few people I've spoken to reckon $210 is a crazy price.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:59 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 pm i go to the tailors out near Orussey too, street 113 iirc
Yeah, sounds like my old guy - charges $4 a garment and you provide the material, I think I'll end up seeing him for a quote. A few people I've spoken to reckon $210 is a crazy price.
where i go there is about 20 tailors all down the street, the place i go charges $5-6 for material and about $6-7 for the Tailoring (for long sleeved shirt), have one of the biggest selections of fabrics though, its a double shop on the right hand side facing Orussey
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Is it cheaper than in Thailand ?
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I paid 300 for a 3 piece and 3 shirts 3 years ago; around 120 for a simpler 2 piece about 6 years ago at the tailor behind Java on Sihanouk, but they fucked the sleeves a day before I was flying out to a wedding, so don't delay. If you've only got a fortnight I'd be getting it started asap.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

cannabistourist wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:49 pm Is it cheaper than in Thailand ?
That's kind of a string question - you'll get cheaper and more expensive in both Cambodia and Thailand. I buy material at $2.5 to $4 a metre, and then pay $4 to $6 per garment for tailoring, so I get a custom shirt, or shorts, or pants, whatever, for $9 to $14 per item, all up.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

I got a suit made about a year and a half ago. 3 piece plus shirt.
I shopped around 3 or 4 places and think I ended up paying close to 200.
It was a bit more than i expected. But it depends so much on fabric. I bought the fabric off the tailor as I couldn’t be bothered doing this separately - but I expect that this is the pricier way.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

SW corner of Boeung Keng Kang market

Some of the places in Central Market have stuff some very large Koreans cast off, may fit you, around $50 and some are in very good condition, no smell of kimchi or plutonium
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic