Article on Khmer Rouge

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: Article on Khmer Rouge

Post by General Mackevili »

I don't get it. Someone wants to do a write-up about Cambodia, goes straight to CEO expats to ask basic questions about what he should or shouldn't publish, and some of you wanna give him grief about considering us all to be a good enough authority to seek answers from?

I know it's a long holiday weekend and some of us are a bit drunker sooner than normal, but damn.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
pauladams
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pauladams »

It’s just the usual suspects that do it.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

james1234 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 2:43 pm I wrote the 26th book of the Golden Retriever
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

What we don't know much about is the Chinese influence on the Khmer Rouge. We know that they built the airport at Kompong Chanang with slave labour at great human cost and then allegedly murdered the surviving workers. Some writers suggested that the strip was never used but there are photos of Chinese MIGS there.
I know journos who crossed the border near Aranyapratet in 1978 to interview a Khmer Serai leader and were guided by Chinese soldiers in green uniforms.
However any research about this would be difficult and I doubt that either regime wants to rake over the coals of Chinese involvement in that period. As others have said there are so many books for sale everywhere that I don't know why someone with no knowledge of Cambodia whatsoever would want to write about the Khmer Rouge.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Don’t think the OP is planning on writing a dissertation on the Khmer Rouge period. Just a small background paragraph or two for tourists to peruse before they come to the Kingdom of Wonder.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:27 pm Don’t think the OP is planning on writing a dissertation on the Khmer Rouge period. Just a small background paragraph or two for tourists to peruse before they come to the Kingdom of Wonder.
Indeed! It is a little bit more. Appr 700 words. Doing on the rest of history of Cambodia too, but I think acient times are not so political sensitiv.

I got the feeling that I have to defend myself for writing this.

Here is a little preview of a part.
http://www.hydroment.be/timeline.pdf
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by Sidewalker »

That looks good.
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

james1234 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:39 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:27 pm Don’t think the OP is planning on writing a dissertation on the Khmer Rouge period. Just a small background paragraph or two for tourists to peruse before they come to the Kingdom of Wonder.
Indeed! It is a little bit more. Appr 700 words. Doing on the rest of history of Cambodia too, but I think acient times are not so political sensitiv.

I got the feeling that I have to defend myself for writing this.

Here is a little preview of a part.
http://www.hydroment.be/timeline.pdf

It's a nicely done timeline, but doesn't really provide any real understanding of events, instead just giving dates. In the modern section for example it has for 1976 "Sihanouk exiled and total Khmer Rouge control". This is not at all accurate, Sihanouk only returned to Cambodia in November 1975 and may have resigned in 1976 but was not exiled, he was kept at the palace. Also the phrase "total Khmer Rouge control" by 1976 doesn't reflect the situation on the ground, the Kampuchean Communist Party was still fractured at that stage and the huge purges by the Center that extended till late 1978 reflect that. You are basically trying to summarize hugely complicated and extended situations into bite-sized pieces, unfortunately it doesn't work.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
james1234
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by james1234 »

Dear John, there is also a couple of articles about the whole history, but made the timeline first.
I try to picture the whole situation in a easy to understand way. Most people don't want to try to understand too complecated things.
Still have to do a lot of work! Thanks for the comments!!! If you want I can PM the articles to you for commenting later.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

james1234 wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:37 pm Dear John, there is also a couple of articles about the whole history, but made the timeline first.
I try to picture the whole situation in a easy to understand way. Most people don't want to try to understand too complecated things.
Still have to do a lot of work! Thanks for the comments!!! If you want I can PM the articles to you for commenting later.
I'll have a look over them and make some suggestions if you like. The problem with politics here is that they are rather complicated so when you over-simplify the whole meaning is lost.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic