Realestate bubble

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Realestate bubble

Post by offroadscholar »

pauladams wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:32 pm I’ll be honest I’ve not actually thought about it. I don’t personally get involved in the technical side that much. I’m just the front man. Get the deal done! (Which isn’t that hard to be fair)

Personally I’d imagine because of the current upward trend people are less adverse to risk so I’d say it just personal choice. That will change.
My colleague deals with that side of things as I’m not a lawyer and my Chinese isn’t as good as his, especially in the technical side, and he’s from PRC!
[/quote

Make hay while the sun shines :thumb:
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

We didn't buy a home here for quite a few years because I kept telling myself the bubble is gonna go boom.

We went ahead and bought/built a place about 6 months ago.

Now we are already getting multiple offers of 20%-40% more than what we paid. Partly because theres a rumor that Aeon Mall #3 will be built nearby in the next 5-7 years.

I have investment properties outside Cambodia and we bought the place to be our home, not as an investment but if the offers keep rising I may start considering them.

Sent from my CPH1605 using Tapatalk

Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

lostjeremy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:10 pm We didn't buy a home here for quite a few years because I kept telling myself the bubble is gonna go boom.

Now we are already getting multiple offers of 20%-40% more than what we paid. Partly because theres a rumor that Aeon Mall #3 will be built nearby in the next 5-7 years.

I have investment properties outside Cambodia and we bought the place to be our home, not as an investment but if the offers keep rising I may start considering them.

Your problem is, although you may get 20 to 40% more than you paid for it, you will find when you look for something else you like they will have also gone up 50 % more.

One solution is only buy properties the you can not only live in, but can also get a return from,, whether that be by rent or a business.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Duncan wrote:
lostjeremy wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:10 pm We didn't buy a home here for quite a few years because I kept telling myself the bubble is gonna go boom.

Your problem is, although you may get 20 to 40% more than you paid for it, you will find when you look for something else you like they will have also gone up 50 % more.

One solution is only buy properties the you can not only live in, but can also get a return from,, whether that be by rent or a business.
Not a problem for me...
I had zero plans on selling when we purchased.
I bought it to give my kids a nice home in a good area, not for business.
If I ever do sale it means we are leaving PP.

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:26 pm
You are aware conversions typically cost 1% (exchange rate) plus fees?
Mmm, yes. That will hurt a bit. You have my sympathy.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:50 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:26 pm
You are aware conversions typically cost 1% (exchange rate) plus fees?
Mmm, yes. That will hurt a bit. You have my sympathy.
Glad to have your sympathy, but I'm not really involved since I would never do business from Cambodia.

Maybe you can explain to me why Cambodia would choose to make imports from China at least 1% more expensive while the profit on exports will be 1% less. Because of the convenience of using the RMB? To please china? Why would a country voluntarily choose to do this? I am not even talking about the costs involved for all the banks, and the government, to make a conversion from the USD to the RMB in their systems.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 am
Maybe you can explain to me why Cambodia would choose to make imports from China at least 1% more expensive while the profit on exports will be 1% less. Because of the convenience of using the RMB? To please china? Why would a country voluntarily choose to do this? I am not even talking about the costs involved for all the banks, and the government, to make a conversion from the USD to the RMB in their systems.
Again, I am putting forward Gave's view which I don't say is the only view, although I find it quite compelling. Dedollarisation is a political as well as an economic issue. Use of the dollar causes significant economic problems for China and understandably they want to switch away from it. Switching also suits China's geopolitical aims. China has the political and economic clout to pursue this policy in many parts of Asia (and elsewhere). As the dollar strengthens there will be more support for dedollarisation in Asia because of the problems that strength will cause. Fast forward a year or so, as the dollar weakens due to its loss of reserve currency status, dedollarisation will be a natural consequence of that loss of status. The costs to which you refer will diminish as the dollar stops being used. After all, the dollar is not an Asian currency, there is no reason for it to be used in Asia beyond lack of trust in other currencies.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

pauladams wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:32 pm Personally I’d imagine because of the current upward trend people are less adverse to risk so I’d say it just personal choice. That will change.
Can you say to what extent buyers of condos and land are doing so with money borrowed from Cambodian banks? Or is it always cash in hand?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

interesting thread
pauladams
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pauladams »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 8:17 pm
pauladams wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 3:32 pm Personally I’d imagine because of the current upward trend people are less adverse to risk so I’d say it just personal choice. That will change.
Can you say to what extent buyers of condos and land are doing so with money borrowed from Cambodian banks? Or is it always cash in hand?
Popular belief is the Chinese come with bags of cash but in reality that’s not practical. I personally deal with large value lots (Could be 1000 sq or 100,000 sq - both $1 million) and often a deposit is left 10% to 30%. The locals usually pay cash but the Asians bank draft, which is what we prefer.
The locals always ask for the hard title before they’ve paid the total and always want to pay the minimum deposit - because they’ve often got buyers themselves lined up who want to see the hard title (which has caused issues, take the Serendipity Road plot (Top Cat, Ana Travel etc) as an example - and don’t have the cash themselves.
Asian (Chinese) drive hard bargains and are quite aggressive.

To answer your question; I’m not aware that non residents can get bank loans unless they have property which is not actually owned by them. If they have residency and assuming the cash to do it then they don’t need loans. China banks offer better rates than Cambodian banks on loans anyway.

Can’t say if locals do. It’s very hard to work out where they get their money from! One guy, who looks like a beggar (but drives a old shitty Lexus) paid cash and all the money was small denominations and old $!
He also owns a well know hotel downtown I believe which is occupied by barangs that I’ve heard he wants out but they are staying put!
Trouble is he doesn’t want to sell but rent so he’s screwed as they have a solid lease, and probably more liquid cash.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic