Realestate bubble

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Realestate bubble

Post by Kammekor »

Whenever I trade with China I pay in USD, so I don't see it happening that fast. Plus.... The Cambodian government is still pretty weak, the Bong Thom's like the USD they can spend anywhere without capital controls and resentment against the Chinese is on the rise. And bong Narin and Srey Lek love their dollars too....
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

pauladams wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 3:19 pm
I work in this sector and I can tell you there will not be any bubble or crash for at least the next five years.
A confident statement. Do you work on the sell side of real estate?
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:08 pm
The main thing that interests me is the likely impact on Cambodia when the next financial crisis hits, and the impact from China's OBOR and dedollarisation policies. Cambodia is different from other Asian countries in being so dollarised. That should mean less impact from the former and more impact from the latter.
Chandler being careful to avoid the tag of foreigner telling Cambodia what to do

[media]https://www.voacambodia.com/a/china-cam ... 86767.html[/media]
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

offroadscholar wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 8:01 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 4:08 pm
The main thing that interests me is the likely impact on Cambodia when the next financial crisis hits, and the impact from China's OBOR and dedollarisation policies. Cambodia is different from other Asian countries in being so dollarised. That should mean less impact from the former and more impact from the latter.
Chandler being careful to avoid the tag of foreigner telling Cambodia what to do

[media]https://www.voacambodia.com/a/china-cam ... 86767.html[/media]
The video is already posted here > > > cambodian-culture-and-language/historia ... ml#p246388

:beer3:
pauladams
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pauladams »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm
I work in this sector and I can tell you there will not be any bubble or crash for at least the next five years.
Both. I’m a conduit for buyers and sellers to bring them together. Mostly PRC and Indonesian Chinese.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Kammekor wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:41 pm Whenever I trade with China I pay in USD, so I don't see it happening that fast. Plus.... The Cambodian government is still pretty weak, the Bong Thom's like the USD they can spend anywhere without capital controls and resentment against the Chinese is on the rise. And bong Narin and Srey Lek love their dollars too....
They also love their gold. Gave's point is that China will be pushing hard to reduce the use of the USD in Asia and those selling to China will be persuaded to accept RMB for their goods and services. When those RMB are exchangeable for gold, they will presumably have no objection.
For those buying from China, there is no problem with dedollarisation, you will simply have to convert your USD into RMB before you make payment.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

there is so much physical paper circulating outside usa, it will be difficult for other currencies to reach reserve status
kocdim
Expatriate
Fiji

Post by kocdim »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 11:33 pm there is so much physical paper circulating outside usa, it will be difficult for other currencies to reach reserve status
Maybe currency rest coming in the near future.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

that would really benefit china and cambodia too.
in the absence of any evidence, i will not worry much.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

pauladams wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 7:16 pm
Both. I’m a conduit for buyers and sellers to bring them together. Mostly PRC and Indonesian Chinese.
What exactly are they typically buying? Land, condos?
Do you mean the foreigners are both buyers and sellers, or do you mean Khmers are selling to the foreigner buyers?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic