What precautions do you take when traveling abroad with a Cambodian woman?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: What precautions do you take when traveling abroad with a Cambodian woman?

Post by Brody »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 am So we had to have a conversation, like one might have with a 5 year old
If this is the level of discourse that you regularly deem necessary with your Khmer girlfriend, then I would have expected you to have had enough foresight to conduct these relevant and quite critical preparatory conversations prior to your trip. Not in some busy train terminal with her head already spinning from the experience of it all.

You know, like a father would have with their 5 year old prior to even commencing a big trip.

I'm mildly appalled by your cavalier travel preparations regarding your partner.

Regretfully I have not any insight to add to your query, as the Khmer females in my social circle need not be spoken to like a 5 year old and are for the most part, university educated, young, urban professionals.

Good luck! :thumb:
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

So its ok to put shit on someone who you obviously believe to be inferior to both your level of intelligence and social group?

Whatever happened to positive support or constructive criticism?
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

Arget wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 9:59 am So its ok to put shit on someone who you obviously believe to be inferior to both your level of intelligence and social group?

Whatever happened to positive support or constructive criticism?
I have no social group. I'm a hermit.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Was a response to brody not you.

Many people on CEO make statements about their experiences and , as you did, ask for feedback. Some offer witty comments, some constructive advice or criticism but some just like to shoot the shit out of the OP or posters and show their dickhead traits.
finbar
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by finbar »

-
Per ardua, ad stercus
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Arget wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 10:17 am their dickhead traits.
Oh come on now. Cam Nivag is not a snowflake and can take his share of ball-breaking.

I'm just thinking about the Khmer girlfriend in this equation. Someone should.

She was woefully unprepared for this journey and CN should be taken to task for it. He did, after all, admit to only being able to communicate with her at the 5 year old level.

For all we know if CN had gotten trapped in that train and was hurtled down the tracks to a far away station, his flesh companion would have been pitifully bereft and at the mercy of cruel fate.

For all we know a malevolently opportunistic scumbag could have stepped in and she'd now be wearing a hijab and scrubbing toilets somewhere in Riyadh.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:28 amThe duffel bag stops them from closing, and I hop over the duffel bag, out the doors of train, and pull the duffel bag out, just like Indiana Jones would do. To say she was impressed with that move would be an understatement.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Mrs Stroppy (who is Australian) and I always plan in case we get separated during travel. We both check each other's passports and boarding passes at each step of a journey, and ensure we know what to do next if we lose the other person.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

We have a guy called Brody at our apartment complex, he is a real fuckwit too. Although the Brody on here sounds more like a snob. I think even an educated Khmer urban professional would spin out if she lost her partner in a foreign country.
I worry a little about losing Khmers at airports. We were wandering around Singapore airport recently and I made sure that the phones were all on the airport wi fi. I was surprised that on the Smart sim we seemed to be roaming automatically.
Anyone should obviously have the hotel card on them. I remember years ago meeting a barang roaming the streets of PP because he had dropped his bag at the hotel and didn't know the name of it or where it was.
PS-I only just realised who cam nivag is...
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kampong Spooner wrote: Ez newkidontheblock. Maybe this idea might help.
https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being ... p-on-phone
Being the born worrier, missus was prepared for Singapore. Could pull out her subway pass faster than I could mine. Memorized all the routes, hotel, plane flights, etc.

She’s more accurate than iPhone tracking. Her antennae knows exactly where I am at all times. At work, at home, in the shower, on the toilet, etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic