Old farts talking about nerdy stuff. NO TROLLS OR SNOWFLAKES ALLOWED

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Re: Old farts talking about nerdy stuff. NO TROLLS OR SNOWFLAKES ALLOWED

Post by michael.stewart1 »

My first video game console was Intellivision. My favorite games were astrosmash, Utopia, spacehawk, Atlantis,and Microsurgeon. Atlantis used to be fun to play when I wanted to annoy my parent especially when they would hear this for hours on end. I have included a youtube link for your viewing pleasure . Then my family bought a colecovision. My favorite games were venture which is another games I would play when I wanted to annoy my family, zaxxon, ladybug, and carnival. Sega Genesis was the first system i bought on my own. My favorite games with that were Tyrants fight through time, Dune battle for arrakis, and Romance of the three kingdoms. However my first desktop was a HP Pavilion and my favorite games were Empire Earth, Rome Total War,Medieval Total War, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron( I love playing as the USSR and Germany) and Stars wars empire at war( I love playing as the Empire). Then I bought my first laptop which was an acer. with that I got hooked on Galactic civilization,Sim city, and Sid meiers Pirates. After I started buying Alienware laptops and I got hooked on MineCraft and Skyrim. Currently I am on my second Alienware laptop I have been working on creating a mod for Skyrim. So far I have created Draconians, Amazons, Bandit Hunters, and other soldiers who basically go from their base to their enemies forts to attack. I have also added more crafting recipes. I also like to play League of Legends and would like to find teammates who are interested in trying out new strategies when playing and who do not flame at their teammates when they have a bad game. Be surprised how many times in league of legends how a player will die once and suddenly he is a noob and a feeder. I would also like to create a minecraft server with other players to test different political and economic ideas. For example have two nations one which uses a negative income tax system and another that uses the tax system the USA and other states use.
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by andy1 »

StroppyChops wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:27 pm I played with Microbees at high school, but my first actual PC was a beige box, cost $6000 (I took out a four year loan) and had twin floppy drives but no hard disk. Monochrome, no sound except system beeps. I bought my first colour graphics card and SoundBlaster sound card to play Commander Keen.

Edit: In my early twenties I worked on an IBM mainframe as a tape loader and printing/bulk mail grunt at a government installation. The mainframe still had a legacy card reader attached and originally used 8 inch floppy disks to initialise. The site was a concrete block that was disguised as an unrelated retail store that was never open. Weird days.

Ah happy memorys of working in a room just like that to earn a few £ at weekends,lifting the floor panels and vacuming the cable space below.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

andy1 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:04 am
StroppyChops wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 12:27 pm I played with Microbees at high school, but my first actual PC was a beige box, cost $6000 (I took out a four year loan) and had twin floppy drives but no hard disk. Monochrome, no sound except system beeps. I bought my first colour graphics card and SoundBlaster sound card to play Commander Keen.

Edit: In my early twenties I worked on an IBM mainframe as a tape loader and printing/bulk mail grunt at a government installation. The mainframe still had a legacy card reader attached and originally used 8 inch floppy disks to initialise. The site was a concrete block that was disguised as an unrelated retail store that was never open. Weird days.

Ah happy memorys of working in a room just like that to earn a few £ at weekends,lifting the floor panels and vacuming the cable space below.
Back when bugs were literally bugs.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

StroppyChops wrote:Back when bugs were literally bugs.
Every played with the macbugs program in UNIX workstations at the computer lab?

The program would zip a small program that would display an in screen cluster of bugs that would follow the victim’s cursor wherever it went.

Completely the annoying, nerdy thing to do in college.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:06 am
StroppyChops wrote:Back when bugs were literally bugs.
Every played with the macbugs program in UNIX workstations at the computer lab?

The program would zip a small program that would display an in screen cluster of bugs that would follow the victim’s cursor wherever it went.

Completely the annoying, nerdy thing to do in college.
No, never saw that! We wrote command-line sheep station (farm) simulators and adventure games. One of our crew wrote what was thought to be the first keylogger and was capturing staff login details just to prove to himself he could do it. Avoided jail time and kept his job, because the investigators believed him when he said he had no malicious intent.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

"Your PC is now Stoned!" LOL
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
GTC7
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by GTC7 »

Am I too young being in the Apple IIe crowd with a dot matrix printer? Because it sure taught me to appreciate the massive 350 mb hard drive and 60 Mhz pizza box which I stupidly spent $3k for later on, thinking I'd be ballin' for life with that setup. After "whole GIG" drives started to come out, and then the Iomega ZIP and JAZ drives seeming destined to supplant floopy disks is when I gave up keeping up with the Joneses and spent it much more foolishly/wisely on women and other illogical nonsense.
Heng Heng Heng
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by Heng Heng Heng »

...then the Iomega ZIP and JAZ drives seeming destined to supplant floopy disks - Great concept until the click of death. :dragonchase:
This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know that you can hear us Earthmen.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Heng Heng Heng wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:37 pm ...then the Iomega ZIP and JAZ drives seeming destined to supplant floopy disks - Great concept until the click of death. :dragonchase:
I did my first tertiary computer studies with the aid of Iomega ZIP drives (they were a course requirement) and the dreaded click of death hung over our heads daily. The only thing we could back up to with sufficient capacity was ... another ZIP disk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic