Traveller Checks??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Traveller Checks??

Post by wolfcreek »

Do any of the Phnom Penh banks sell traveller checks? Thomas Cook or American Express, etc....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Traveller Checks??

Post by John Bingham »

I haven't heard of traveller's checks in about 20 years. Do they still issue them? I'd imagine it could be grief trying to cash them these days.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

John Bingham wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:25 pm I haven't heard of traveller's checks in about 20 years. Do they still issue them? I'd imagine it could be grief trying to cash them these days.
I haven't used traveler's checks since the '80's, I had the impression that they had more or less been largely phased out.

Financial Travel Tip #114: Don’t Use Travelers Cheques
The Decline of Travelers Cheques. According to Wiki, travelers cheques have been going steadily out of favour since the 1990s, with alternatives like credit cards, debit cards, and ATMs becoming more common, convenient, and cost-effective.

They also pose security risks for retailers, who would rather fork out commissions to accept credit cards instead. Now travelers cheques (as my reader above discovered) are difficult to cash, even at banks. And travelers cheques aren’t even all that secure for travelers either. At one point in time, they were a viable alternative to carrying large amounts of cash. But these days, your cash is best left in your bank account (or travel savings account), and accessed when you need it via credit card or debit card.https://www.theprofessionalhobo.com/fin ... s-cheques/
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

money / cash cards have replaced them. they should be free issue online but usually pay in the bank.
thru shit to more shit
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Most if not all banks in Vietnam won't touch them.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

Actually I even wonder why they existed ? Credit cards are not so old ?!
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Back in the not-so-distant past, like the 1990s, you could travel to many places and find many banks but they were not connected together too well, even within Europe. So ATM cards were useless. The first time I visited Laos and Cambodia there was one machine in Vientiane and zero in Phnom Penh! So you could either carry hard currency/ cash or traveller's checks which were sort of seen as an international money back then. There were so many scams associated with them, travelers would sell them and report them stolen a few days later and get replacements. I never indulged in these scams myself even though there was obviously easy money to be made. My fear of Asian prisons usually overrides my desire for quick pay-outs. Word up.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Used to love the American express commercials way back when
Karl Malden would tell you when you returned home to just save them in ur drawer for ur next trip, ( give American express interest free money)

Dont leave home without them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

I understand the need for travellers cheques back in the day but why on earth would you want them now.

I'll Give my cash that I can exchange pretty much anywhere and get back something that I can only exchange in a limited amount of locations. About as useful as gift cards.

There are some great bank accounts available these days that reduce ATM fees (for US citizens Charles Schwab refunds ATM Fees), UK citizens both Monzo, Atom & Sterling give spot value rate exchanges & no ATM fees on their side, I am sure other countries have similar.
wolfcreek
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by wolfcreek »

Thanks for all of the commentary, but no one has answered my question yet. Do any of the banks in Phnom Penh sell traveller checks?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic