I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
jamie.jerome
Tourist

I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs

Post by jamie.jerome »

Hello fellow expats,

I have worked in Thailand for a year and China for 3 teaching without a degree and unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.

So my questions are: What is the current procedure for obtaining a long term visa in Cambodia (every little detail would be handy) and is there a job board I could visit to possibly interview for work from abroad (I understand that most work is found whilst in the country.).

I have done a fair bit of research but I am not willing to fly to Cambodia based on information which could be out of date or incorrect.

Thanks in advanced for all your inputs.

Oh and if i have missed a sticky post that has all those information I apologise. if there is please link me up :D.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Re: I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs

Post by bolueeleh »

jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.
:lol: why is cambodia attractive to you? lacks vigour checks for qualifications for your for career choice?
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

jamie.jerome wrote:Hello fellow expats,

I have worked in Thailand for a year and China for 3 teaching without a degree and unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.

So my questions are: What is the current procedure for obtaining a long term visa in Cambodia (every little detail would be handy) and is there a job board I could visit to possibly interview for work from abroad (I understand that most work is found whilst in the country.).

I have done a fair bit of research but I am not willing to fly to Cambodia based on information which could be out of date or incorrect.

Thanks in advanced for all your inputs.

Oh and if i have missed a sticky post that has all those information I apologise. if there is please link me up :D.
Rumour has it that teachers will soon be obliged to supply recent criminal record checks, so make sure that doesn't disqualify you.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

It was also possible to teach in Thailand and China without degree ?
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm...for those who lack an irrelevant qualification.
I believe even my brethren with a short-course CELTA or TEFL qualification would find that offensive, and have little desire to support your queries.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

StroppyChops wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:53 pm
jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm...for those who lack an irrelevant qualification.
I believe even my brethren with a short-course CELTA or TEFL qualification would find that offensive, and have little desire to support your queries.
I have a TEFL and have taught for over 4 years competently albeit with difficulty in the first year or so. But i have also worked with teachers who have degrees in IT and the such which has nothing to do with ones ability to teach English.

I apologise if my phrasing was offensive.
Last edited by jamie.jerome on Wed May 09, 2018 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

cannabistourist wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:32 pm It was also possible to teach in Thailand and China without degree ?
It is possible to teach without a degree in China but with the laws currently as they are and the likelyhood of them changing (Which they did frequently when I was there.) the risk for me makes it a nogo.
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

bolueeleh wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm
jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.
:lol: why is cambodia attractive to you? lacks vigour checks for qualifications for your for career choice?
I am currently looking for work in Cambodia. Myanmar and Laos with Cambodia being a preference due to location honestly it seems from what I've seen a nice place to live.

If I would be able to find a job without too much of a struggle when I land and get a long term visa with my current lack of qualifications. I need somewhere where I can set up camp for a long period where I can live comfortably without the impending risk of no longer being able to stay due to visa laws changing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic