I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs

Post by frank lee bent »

myanmar maybe a better prospect.
jmagic
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jmagic »

You can certainly get a job teaching English without a degree, though it helps to be well groomed. You can find jobs at CAMHR.com or the Facebook group Phnom Penh Job Listings.
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

The laws here are changing, I doubt it will be more than a year before degrees are a must.

Do an online degree, 21st century have-to-have.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

jamie.jerome wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:29 am
bolueeleh wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 8:31 pm
jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.
:lol: why is cambodia attractive to you? lacks vigour checks for qualifications for your for career choice?
I am currently looking for work in Cambodia. Myanmar and Laos with Cambodia being a preference due to location honestly it seems from what I've seen a nice place to live.

If I would be able to find a job without too much of a struggle when I land and get a long term visa with my current lack of qualifications. I need somewhere where I can set up camp for a long period where I can live comfortably without the impending risk of no longer being able to stay due to visa laws changing.
Forget Myanmar, forget Laos. All International school require qualifications and they don't have the numbers of unregistered schools who only teach english to the masses. Cambodia laws are changing fast, an even being able to find a job in Kampot waiting tables/Bartending as a westerner will be gone in a year

There are no more safe havens for the unqualified, poor westerner, this is not the 90's or even the 2000's.
You want be somewhere where you don't have a chance of having to move because the visa laws have changed?

Stay home
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

jmagic wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 5:59 am You can certainly get a job teaching English without a degree, though it helps to be well groomed. You can find jobs at CAMHR.com or the Facebook group Phnom Penh Job Listings.
Thank you very much for your input.

I have experience in most teaching scenarios from toddlers to IELTS although most of my experience is with primary school students.

Not sure what the job scene is like over there but thanks for the reassurances.
jamie.jerome
Tourist

Post by jamie.jerome »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 am
jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.
:lol: why is cambodia attractive to you? lacks vigour checks for qualifications for your for career choice?
I am currently looking for work in Cambodia. Myanmar and Laos with Cambodia being a preference due to location honestly it seems from what I've seen a nice place to live.

If I would be able to find a job without too much of a struggle when I land and get a long term visa with my current lack of qualifications. I need somewhere where I can set up camp for a long period where I can live comfortably without the impending risk of no longer being able to stay due to visa laws changing.
Forget Myanmar, forget Laos. All International school require qualifications and they don't have the numbers of unregistered schools who only teach english to the masses. Cambodia laws are changing fast, an even being able to find a job in Kampot waiting tables/Bartending as a westerner will be gone in a year

There are no more safe havens for the unqualified, poor westerner, this is not the 90's or even the 2000's.
You want be somewhere where you don't have a chance of having to move because the visa laws have changed?

Stay home
Thanks for the input but I don't think I will be taking your advice.
Gardiguy
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Gardiguy »

jamie.jerome wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 am
Image why is cambodia attractive to you? lacks vigour checks for qualifications for your for career choice?

Stay home
Thanks for the input but I don't think I will be taking your advice.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

Your English is terrible and so are you.

Go home.

"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
markd
Expatriate
Zimbabwe

Post by markd »

redundancies in the new world order is a common occurance for those without the desirable qualifications
thru shit to more shit
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

jamie.jerome wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 6:53 pm Hello fellow expats,

I have worked in Thailand for a year and China for 3 teaching without a degree and unfortunately for me both of these countries have become a no go zone for those who lack an irrelevant qualification. Well at least nogo in terms of risk.

So my questions are: What is the current procedure for obtaining a long term visa in Cambodia (every little detail would be handy) and is there a job board I could visit to possibly interview for work from abroad (I understand that most work is found whilst in the country.).

I have done a fair bit of research but I am not willing to fly to Cambodia based on information which could be out of date or incorrect.

Thanks in advanced for all your inputs.

Oh and if i have missed a sticky post that has all those information I apologise. if there is please link me up :D.
I need to lowdown on current 1 year visa reqs
There are no "1 year visas". If you had actually bothered to do any research you would know this. There are various visas available to foreigners entering Cambodia, but unless you are diplomatic staff or from one of the very few Asian countries that can get better deals, you'll get the same 30-day visa as any other tourist or ordinary/business visa allows you. After that you may or may not qualify for an "Extension of Stay" which can be from anything from 30 days to 12 months. It might sound pedantic, but as rules tighten up here we may as well use the proper names when making inquiries.

Anyway, to be honest I wouldn't advise anyone new to come here at the moment. I'm pretty settled here, but I've hung in through thick and thin since this capital was a derelict mess. I like the way the place has developed but also have that perspective where I remember where it has come from, which was pretty much nothing. Some young people come here attracted by the fancy veneer that has developed, but can't really handle anything that contradicts their myopic world-view and they don't tend to last long. If Cambodia/ Phnom Penh was like it is now way back I never would have even entertained the idea of staying here. I'd wait till a few months after the elections before even thinking of moving here. Nothing will happen during the elections, but there could be major changes in the following period.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic