Even Extending Retirement EOS needs proof retirement

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Even Extending Retirement EOS needs proof retirement

Post by yongchi »

Hi Everyone,

I have just been to Cina travel and tried to renew my ER EOS. (So I already have one.) I am 50.
Initially, they accepted my passport and money, and said I didn't need additional documents since I already had an ER.
Later they called me back and told me immigration is asking for a proof of retirement, either from my government or a letter from my last company.

Until now, I thought it was the initial application where you needed the proof - and when I got my first ER one a year ago, I just requested it. Didn't need any further docs. I thought, I had gotten lucky.

I have no such letter. We only get official retirement benefits at the age of 65, so no government letter.
Also, I haven't worked in years. My former boss is long retired and I have no idea where he is. Also, they wouldn't know whether I am retired or not, so are not likely to confirm anything.

I can show that I have enough funds to be retired and money coming into a Cambodian bank account from abroad. And I don't work.

I am at a loss and looking for some help on what to do.
Should I just head to the immigration myself with bank statements, or try another agent?
Any other docs that could be helpful?

Many thanks for taking the time.
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Even Extending Retirement EOS needs proof retirement

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

Do they have any way or any interest in checking to make sure a proof of retirement letter from a company is legit?
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

I've read about people using statutory declarations for similar document issues here, namely the marriage proof of income, so one signed and stamped by a notary might work in this case.

Otherwise, as hinted at by KickingWithRedLabel, I've also anecdotally heard you can write you're own letter on a letterhead with details of a random company from back home and hand it to them.
Lonestar
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lonestar »

So they are asking for an official letter from a company saying that you are retired. Why not just provide them with that?
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

yongchi wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:38 pm Hi Everyone,

I have just been to Cina travel and tried to renew my ER EOS. (So I already have one.) I am 50.
Initially, they accepted my passport and money, and said I didn't need additional documents since I already had an ER.
Later they called me back and told me immigration is asking for a proof of retirement, either from my government or a letter from my last company.
Sounds like they're now enforcing the minimum over 55 yo rule to current ER holders wishing to extend.
Interested to hear from the next over 55 yo that extends a current ER, and if they're asked for docs.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

offroadscholar wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:13 pm
yongchi wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 1:38 pm Hi Everyone,

Sounds like they're now enforcing the minimum over 55 yo rule to current ER holders wishing to extend.
Interested to hear from the next over 55 yo that extends a current ER, and if they're asked for docs.
And also what is considered a sufficient amount of retirement income.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

From TOF on Sunday
PSD_Kiwi wrote: Guy I know, 36 yrs old, received ER EOS 2 days ago, just remember it is up to YOU to CONVINCE the DOI that you at eligible. Provide as much documentation as possible.

He applied directly at the DOI, still paid the same as most agents charge though.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Thank you all for taking the time.

I had another call with the agent and they asked their contact at the immigration again. They say they need the company letter or the government doc from one's own country, and that the rules have changed again. They said just writing a letter is not acceptable.

I haven't worked in my own country for many years.

But I am thinking, I could possibly get a letter from a clinic in Hong Kong to confirm that I resigned / retired for health reasons. I used to work in Hong Kong before coming here. That wouldn't be from the company, but from a health care provider in the country where I worked.
Not sure whether they can accept this. Alternatively, from a hospital here, where I have also been treated.

I am also still wondering whether just heading out to the immigration might be a better choice?

If you have got any other ideas, please keep them coming.

Many thanks
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Photoshop and signed by a buddy who will verify if asked..but who will pay for the call? They will never check.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Ask them if they will accept proof of $$$ in the bank.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic