Had issues with Vaping kit at Post office, and now.....

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Had issues with Vaping kit at Post office, and now.....

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello everyone.
Having visited Cambodia and Thailand about 20 times over the last 10 years I decided to take the plunge and move here two months ago. I run an online business so it's all sweet right now, I am really enjoying the place. Sure, there's challenges, but why wouldn't there be?

Any day now I will be receiving a parcel from UK containing several personal items of clothing and cologne, etc. And....a brand new vape.

I mentioned this to a few people as I am not sure I will get a customs check and they'll almost certainly be able to identify the vape and probably not let me have it. I am desperate to npot start smoking again and have found the vape works wonders - I am 2 years without cigarettes. Now, a couple of friends I have here who have lived here for years said to offer them some dollars as 'tax'. However, that sounds like a bribe to me and I don't want to get in any trouble - I would like to respect this place and the people However, if that's the done thing, maybe it would make sense, I get my vape, they get the tax, everyone's happy.

Advice please?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Had issues with Vaping kit at Post office, and now.....

Post by Username Taken »

Pay the tax.

I'm sure you can buy vape here, somewhere.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by cannabistourist »

It's not bribery, it's just the normal process !
And anyway why you couldn't buy it here ? Even in Thailand where it's illegal ecigs are everywhere !
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
Sorry but I do not reply to idiots, especially the old ones.
KickingWithRedLabel
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by KickingWithRedLabel »

As mentioned above there are several shops that sell vaping devices and e-juices here in PP. There are even a few expats that are in the retail business if you want to have a more trusting seller. Of course this does not answer your question but provides an alternative if you have problems with the post office.
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by SlackWaster »

Hello everyone
Thank you for the replies - to make it clear ( I guess I'm sounding like a right virgin here) it's not a customs tax, it's a sweetner for sure - but are you people saying they won't flinch if I offer a few $$? I really don't want to get in trouble.

Regarding buying vapes here - yes, I know someone, but they're really old, poor quality out of date ones, I already spent more than I wanted to on a couple that didn't last, that's why I ordered from abroad. I thought I'd be OK as I got a parcel a while back and the man in the Post Office barely even looked. But I had another delivery and they went through it with a fine tooth comb.

OK - so if it's usual to offer 'tax' do I give it to the man searching my parcel, or the uniformed man in the room out back where they'll take me?

Really appreciate your help.
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

SlackWaster wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 11:42 pm Hello everyone
Thank you for the replies - to make it clear ( I guess I'm sounding like a right virgin here) it's not a customs tax, it's a sweetner for sure - but are you people saying they won't flinch if I offer a few $$? I really don't want to get in trouble.

Regarding buying vapes here - yes, I know someone, but they're really old, poor quality out of date ones, I already spent more than I wanted to on a couple that didn't last, that's why I ordered from abroad. I thought I'd be OK as I got a parcel a while back and the man in the Post Office barely even looked. But I had another delivery and they went through it with a fine tooth comb.

OK - so if it's usual to offer 'tax' do I give it to the man searching my parcel, or the uniformed man in the room out back where they'll take me?

Really appreciate your help.

What are you doing in Cambodia ?! We are here because we can pay and cheat the system every time we don't like it !
Of course ! pay if they are not too greedy !
ONLY MONKEYS THINK THAT I AM NOT LIVING IN CAMBODIA BECAUSE I USE VPNs and PROXIES.
SlackWaster
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by SlackWaster »

(Takes deep breath) - OK - I have paid the Thai and Cambodian police, but they're not backward in coming forward. If I'm not crawling round the bottom of a cell later this week I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you think he will offer me a price, or just confiscate it and expect me to make an offer?
cannabistourist
Expatriate
United States of America

If they do not ask directly, ask if you can pay the "tax" ?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i have never been asked for anything more than a fee for the phone call, like 50 cents.
do not offer anything up front or mention anything at all about it unless they mention it.
chances are, innate laziness will allow it to sail right through.
negotiate by half if they ask
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

SlackWaster wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:36 am (Takes deep breath) - OK - I have paid the Thai and Cambodian police, but they're not backward in coming forward. If I'm not crawling round the bottom of a cell later this week I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you think he will offer me a price, or just confiscate it and expect me to make an offer?
But there is this..............................

E-cigs were banned in Cambodia in 2014 as a test that was supposedly carried out showed that they may be more harmful than regular tobacco. There is a strong Cambodian market for black market vaping equipment and many users have reported no difficulties in bringing in their own vaping gear.
https://e-cigaretteuk.org.uk/countries- ... ed-vaping/

Cambodia likewise banned e-cigarettes in 2014, allegedly after an obscure study found the devices contained “high levels of nicotine that could cause a more serious impact on health than cigarettes.” However, the Wall Street Journal reported at the time that it was actually Cambodian Prime Minister HE himself who ordered the ban on imports and sales of e-cigarettes “for fear they are having a negative impact on the youth.” Meanwhile.
http://www.tobaccoasia.com/features/asi ... certainty/
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic