Post Hole Digger

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Post Hole Digger

Post by taabarang »

Jamie, your 4th picture which matches Stroppy's is exactly what I'm looking for. If you can find a place with a name where I am likely to find that tool, I'd be most grateful. Cheers for the encouragement guys.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Is this fence to keep cattle out or be a boundary fence?

If it is to keep cattle out the star pickets will do fine . Boundary fences usually get bricked in so SP would not be suitable.

Also your strainer post needs to be at least about 1 meter in the ground.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for the advice, but I am familiar with the work I do, the conditions I'm working under and the tools I need.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

and thats why people dont post or dont like to give out advice anymore in here, folks
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

taabarang wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:46 pm Thanks for the advice, but I am familiar with the work I do, the conditions I'm working under and the tools I need.
Then why post here? Surely given the statement above all you needed to do was google an image of your required tool and show it to the nearest hardware shop.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

IraHayes wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:39 pm
taabarang wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 5:46 pm Thanks for the advice, but I am familiar with the work I do, the conditions I'm working under and the tools I need.
Then why post here? Surely given the statement above all you needed to do was google an image of your required tool and show it to the nearest hardware shop.
First, I thought that perhaps someone would know where to buy the tool without going from shop to shop in Phnom Penh. After all I live rurally and the shops at the nearest big town do NOT carry it. Secondly, I asked for advice on where to purchase the tool, not on how to do the work. It seems to me you're really scrounging for nits to pick.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

taabarang wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:52 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:39 pm
First, I thought that perhaps someone would know where to buy the tool without going from shop to shop in Phnom Penh. After all I live rurally and the shops at the nearest big town do NOT carry it. Secondly, I asked for advice on where to purchase the tool, not on how to do the work. It seems to me you're really scrounging for nits to pick.
Yeah I got that you were only asking where to buy not what to buy. And on further thought on the matter I can see why, given your time here, people unsolicited advice can seem irritating.... hence your comment :)

But back to your OP... wouldn’t a post borer be easier? Or are they not available or suitable for the job in hand?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

IraHayes wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm
But back to your OP... wouldn’t a post borer be easier? Or are they not available or suitable for the job in hand?
I've only ever put up fence posts with a giant wooden mallet, so I'm no expert but that machine looks like it might cost a few bob, and be difficult to get parts for or maintain. And it likely only works in soft soils, not the rock-hard dried-out clay you often get here. One of these would be far more sensible:
:?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

John Bingham wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 pm
IraHayes wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm
I've only ever put up fence posts with a giant wooden mallet, so I'm no expert but that machine looks like it might cost a few bob, and be difficult to get parts for or maintain. And it likely only works in soft soils, not the rock-hard dried-out clay you often get here. One of these would be far more sensible:
:?
Bingo on all points you raised and thanks for the much needed humor.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

taabarang wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:21 pm Jamie, your 4th picture which matches Stroppy's is exactly what I'm looking for. If you can find a place with a name where I am likely to find that tool, I'd be most grateful. Cheers for the encouragement guys.
I'll ask on FB. I'm not sure as I was riding in the back of a tuktuk for a change, but I may have spotted one on 271 today - I'll stop in next time I go past.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic